PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Water Domain Cleric [PEACH]

WarrentheHero
2016-01-04, 02:50 AM
Water is necessary for everyone. No matter where you are from, or what religion you follow, water is life. Many who appreciate this concept in full turn to the deities that preside over water in order to give thanks. These individuals create and control water, and can use it to both sear enemies and to relieve allies.

WATER DOMAIN

Cleric Level
Spells

1st
Create or Destroy Water, Ice Knife

3rd
Lesser Restoration, Protection from Poison

5th
Tidal Wave, Waterbreathing

7th
Control Water, Watery Sphere

9th
Cone of Cold, Conjure Elementals (Water and Ice only)

Aquatic Casting
At 1st level, you learn the Shape Water and the Water Coil cantrips. These do not count against your number of cantrips knowns. Water Coil functions as Thorn Whip, but deals bludgeoning damage and is formed of water rather than a vine-like whip.

Purify Water
Beginning at 1st level, you can cast Purify Food and Drink a number of times per day equal your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). When you do so, the range is reduced to 5 feet and can only be used to purify water, not food or any other type of drink.

Channel Divinity: Holy Water
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to conjure and scatter holy water in front of you.
As an action, you wave your holy symbol in front of you as if you were emptying a container of water. Water flies from the container over an area 10 feet on a side in front of you. Choose any number of creatures in that area. Each of those creatures regains a number of hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier plus your cleric level. All other creatures in that area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 radiant damage, or half as much on a successful save.

Blessed Pool
At 6th level, you can bless pools of water with rejuvenating energy. In a 10-minute ritual that can be performed during a short or long rest, you bless a body of water that is no more than 20 feet on a side and a minimum of 5 feet deep. For the next eight hours, the pool heals those who enter it. A creature in the pool can choose one of two options:
-Quick Dip: You spend a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of twenty minutes relaxing in the pool. At the end of this time, you regain a number of hit points equal to the cleric level of the one who created the pool.
-Long Soak: You spend a minimum of one hour in the pool. At the end of that hour, you regain a number of hit points equal to twice the cleric level of the one who created the pool.
Choosing either of these options also allows the one in it to be effected as though Lesser Restoration was cast on them. A pool has enough restorative energy to heal a maximum of 8 creatures, provided they all can fit within the bounds of the pool. Any creatures beyond that overtax the magic, so that it has no noticeable effect on those who bathe in the waters. At 14th level, the amount healed by Quick Dip or Long Soak doubles. Any given creature can only benefit from one use of Blessed Pool at any time. Once you create a Blessed Pool, you cannot create another one until you finish a long rest.

Potent Spellcasting
At 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Water Myrmidon
At 17th level, you gain the ability to summon a potent water elemental. As an action, you conjure a Water Elemental Myrmidon in an unoccupied space within 20 feet of you. The Water Myrmidon acts on its own initiative, determined when it is summoned, and is completely under your control via instantaneous mental commands. If you fall unconscious, the Myrmidon prioritizes protecting and reviving you above all else. If it is unable to do so, it will instead relentlessly attack the creature that felled you. It understands who your allies and enemies were at the time you fell unconscious, and regards them in that capacity for as long as you remain unconscious. The Water Myrmidon disappears after 1 minute, when you dismiss it (no action), or when you die. Once you summon a Water Myrmidon, you cannot summon another until you complete a long rest.
A Water Myrmidon has the following statistics:

Water Myrmidon
Medium elemental (water), neutral
Armor Class 18 (plate)
Hit Points 127 (17d8 + 51)
Speed 40 ft., swim 40 ft.
STR 18 (+4) DEX 14 (+2) CON 15 (+3) INT 8 (-1) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 10 (+0)
Damage Resistances acid, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone
Senses. darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages. Aquan, one language of its creator's choice
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)

Magic Weapons. The myrmidon's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions
Multiattack. The Water Weird makes three trident attacks.

Trident. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.

Freezing Strikes (recharge 6). The myrmidon uses Multiattack. Each attack that hits deals an extra 5 (1d10) cold damage, and the target's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the end of the myrmidon's next turn.

This domain was made at the request of a friend. I think it's more-or-less on point with regards to what they wanted it to do, so for the most part I'm looking for balance suggestions. That said, if you can come up with any features spectacularly in-theme, I have an open ear.

EDIT LOG:
1-4-16: Added Control Water to spell list, added Purify Water 1st level ability, made some balance changes to Blessed Pool, changed Water Weird into a Water Myrmidon (PotA pg 213).
1-5-16: Added some missing info to the Myrmidon statblock: Senses, languages, and challenge rating
1-7-16: Made a correction to Domain Spells; Create or Destroy Water was listed as a 2nd-level spell.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-04, 09:20 AM
In my memory there is already a water weird in 5e in the MM, or is that the same?

Now the real feadback, I don't see a problem with the spelllist and most features, Holy Water is strong but small area.

The pool is too strong, and not clear, can someone just jump in it for 5 minutes and then again (for example 10 times or not).

I would change Water Weird to one minute, and nerf his HP.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-04, 02:11 PM
In my memory there is already a water weird in 5e in the MM, or is that the same?
You're totally right, I didn't even notice. This is supposed to be a buffed version of a Water Elemental (CR5) and Water Weird is CR3. I'll rename it to something like "Water Semblance" or "Tide Elemental."

The pool is too strong, and not clear, can someone just jump in it for 5 minutes and then again (for example 10 times or not).
I can nerf the healing. It's supposed to be that you choose one effect and benefit from the feature once per casting. I'll reword it to make it better.

I would change Water Weird to one minute, and nerf his HP.
The duration nerf I can do, but I'm not certain what a proper amount of HP should be. I want this thing to be stronger than a Water Elemental, because as I see it, Water Elemental can be accessed at 9th level, and this feature is nearly twice that, so it should reflect a stronger version of the summoned creature. Not CR 10, of course, but something stronger than CR 5.

Foxhound438
2016-01-04, 06:41 PM
Channel Divinity: Holy Water
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to conjure and scatter holy water in front of you.
As an action, you wave your holy symbol in front of you as if you were emptying a container of water. Water flies from the container over an area 10 feet on a side in front of you. Choose any number of creatures in that area. Each of those creatures regains a number of hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier plus your cleric level. All other creatures in that area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 radiant damage, or half as much on a successful save.

this kind of steps on the feet of life domain cleric... maybe it's fine, since it's a small area, but short rest recharging heal skills should be limited in some way, as the life cleric and crown paladin's are (prior can't heal a creature past half hp, latter can't heal unless they start below half)

The amount healed is also potentially a lot, though it doesn't get ridiculous until higher levels. Maybe change to a d10 instead of cleric level?

A Water Myrmidon has the following statistics:

i see you left out that creature's CR. convenient... I don't have that book handy, but remember that True Polymorph, a 9th level spell, can only summon a CR 9 creature from an inanimate object, and that disappears if you go unconscious. Having a 1 minute max isn't really enough to balance this ability against that spell if it makes a CR much higher than 9, since most combats last less than a minute, or otherwise little more. I would recommend checking that CR, and finding something else if it's stronger than a 10.

Otherwise it should be fine.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-04, 08:13 PM
this kind of steps on the feet of life domain cleric... maybe it's fine, since it's a small area, but short rest recharging heal skills should be limited in some way, as the life cleric and crown paladin's are (prior can't heal a creature past half hp, latter can't heal unless they start below half)

The amount healed is also potentially a lot, though it doesn't get ridiculous until higher levels. Maybe change to a d10 instead of cleric level?

I think it fulfils its own niche. It heals, yeah, but also damages. In a small area with a tiny range. It's not like Life Cleric, except that it restores hit points. As for its power level, I think that the fact that you can effect a max of 4 people directly in front of you is enough to warrant some larger healing. If you're worried about high levels, think of the fact that a 20th level Life Cleric can heal for 60 in a 30' radius as opposed to Water who can heal for a max of 25, to people right next to them.

i see you left out that creature's CR. convenient...
Well, I'm not trying to hide its CR. I just forgot to list it.

I don't have that book handy, but remember that True Polymorph, a 9th level spell, can only summon a CR 9 creature from an inanimate object, and that disappears if you go unconscious. Having a 1 minute max isn't really enough to balance this ability against that spell if it makes a CR much higher than 9, since most combats last less than a minute, or otherwise little more. I would recommend checking that CR, and finding something else if it's stronger than a 10.

Otherwise it should be fine.
Water Elemental Myrmidon is CR 7. So I'm not giving Clerics a free Wish once per day; don't worry.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-05, 10:40 AM
You're totally right, I didn't even notice. This is supposed to be a buffed version of a Water Elemental (CR5) and Water Weird is CR3. I'll rename it to something like "Water Semblance" or "Tide Elemental."

I can nerf the healing. It's supposed to be that you choose one effect and benefit from the feature once per casting. I'll reword it to make it better.

The duration nerf I can do, but I'm not certain what a proper amount of HP should be. I want this thing to be stronger than a Water Elemental, because as I see it, Water Elemental can be accessed at 9th level, and this feature is nearly twice that, so it should reflect a stronger version of the summoned creature. Not CR 10, of course, but something stronger than CR 5.

Well now you made it clearer its not that strong, this way it sounds good. Also the HP is ok