PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Barbarian race choice

Lendário
2016-01-04, 11:43 AM
Sometime ago i made a similar thread, comparing Horc and Mountain Dwarf.
That table did not go through, but now a new one is happening and my options are wider.

Which race is better for a 27 point buy Totem Barbarian, Minotaur, Goliath or Half Orc?

I'm not putting Variant Human as a option because i won't be picking Polearm Master, as it is frowned upon by this DM, so i won't need many feats. My bonus action attack will instead come from the SCAG animal totems or Minotaur horns.

If it helps the other party members are a Paladin, Warrior, Rogue and a Bard.

CaptAl
2016-01-04, 12:46 PM
If you want to tank, then Goliath. Want to just smash crap, then go Minotaur. If you want a nice balance, H-Orc. There's not a huge difference between them other than fluff really.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-04, 01:09 PM
I still really like how a half-orc's abilities stack so nicely with what a barbarian already has. Sure, it doesn't add any nifty features, but it makes you better at what you're already doing.

Belac93
2016-01-04, 01:39 PM
Judging by the other party members, I would say half orc or goliath. With a paladin and a rogue you have damage covered, but rogues and bards often need protecting. Half orc if you want to do slightly more damage, goliath if you want pure tank.

Naanomi
2016-01-04, 01:46 PM
I like Goliath as well, lifting 9384774 pounds (thereabouts) has lots of uses when you keep an eye out for them. Somewhat surprised to not see Earth Gensai on your list, they have the right spread as well after all

Lendário
2016-01-04, 03:02 PM
I like Goliath as well, lifting 9384774 pounds (thereabouts) has lots of uses when you keep an eye out for them. Somewhat surprised to not see Earth Gensai on your list, they have the right spread as well after all

Did not think about Genasi, but i don't think it's the best choice.

Naanomi
2016-01-04, 03:57 PM
Did not think about Genasi, but i don't think it's the best choice.
I agree it isn't but seems like it should have been 'on the list' at least

eastmabl
2016-01-04, 05:28 PM
No love for the stout halfling? Stacks well with unarmored defense.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-04, 05:32 PM
No love for the stout halfling? Stacks well with unarmored defense.

I think it's because most of us probably think of halflings more for finesse or ranged characters, owning to that sweet +2 dex. Barbarian Rage is much more about STR and definitely not finesse, and generally when you think of Barbarians, you think of large weapons that often have the Heavy tag, and your Reckless Offense would only make you attack with a normal rating, not at advantage, if you're a halfling using a heavy weapon, since by the rules, having Advantage and Disadvantage cancel out into normal. Sure you don't HAVE to, but are you really a barbarian if you're using anything other than a large and heavy two-handed weapon?

M Placeholder
2016-01-04, 06:44 PM
No love for the Wood Elf Eagle Totem Barbarian? You have 45 feet of movement at 5th level, the bonus to Wisdom goes well with Danger sense and the Eagle Totem features.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-04, 07:08 PM
If you want to go for a more defensive build, a minotaur is a good way to do so and still do great damage. The horns allow you to do d10 damage whilst equipping a shield. This is normally impossible for any build.

Dizlag
2016-01-05, 10:57 AM
I think it's because most of us probably think of halflings more for finesse or ranged characters, owning to that sweet +2 dex. Barbarian Rage is much more about STR and definitely not finesse, and generally when you think of Barbarians, you think of large weapons that often have the Heavy tag, and your Reckless Offense would only make you attack with a normal rating, not at advantage, if you're a halfling using a heavy weapon, since by the rules, having Advantage and Disadvantage cancel out into normal. Sure you don't HAVE to, but are you really a barbarian if you're using anything other than a large and heavy two-handed weapon?

I'm playing a Dex/finesse-based Halfling barbarian who is a sailor aka a viking. I consider vikings to be classic barbarians who used axe/sword and shield style as well as huge, heavy weapons. I don't get the benefits of rage damage or recklessness, but that's not his concept. He's a bear totem viking who can take a hit taking half damage from everything (except Psychic), when he gets hit. He's got a 19 AC right now wielding a Dawnbringer/Sun Blade/Lightsaber and had an 18 AC at 1st level wielding his scimitar.

So yeah, you ARE really a barbarian if you're using anything other than a large and heavy two-handed weapon because you're angry, you're a master at combat, and you will see your enemies driven before you! =)

Dizlag

Naanomi
2016-01-05, 11:09 AM
If we are exploring other races besides the classic optimal ones... Hill Dwarf's extra HP (and the toughness feat) get wild, bear totem and a shield for a very hard to put down character

JumboWheat01
2016-01-05, 12:09 PM
I'm playing a Dex/finesse-based Halfling barbarian who is a sailor aka a viking. I consider vikings to be classic barbarians who used axe/sword and shield style as well as huge, heavy weapons. I don't get the benefits of rage damage or recklessness, but that's not his concept. He's a bear totem viking who can take a hit taking half damage from everything (except Psychic), when he gets hit. He's got a 19 AC right now wielding a Dawnbringer/Sun Blade/Lightsaber and had an 18 AC at 1st level wielding his scimitar.

So yeah, you ARE really a barbarian if you're using anything other than a large and heavy two-handed weapon because you're angry, you're a master at combat, and you will see your enemies driven before you! =)

Dizlag

Ooh, I never thought of Vikings... yes... I can see that concept, and I like it. Though my Halflings trend towards Fighters and Rogues too much to really give it a try. I just love my Littleknights too much to break out of that trend. Still, love the idea.

Question though, has anyone thought of throwing you for a ranged melee attack of awesomness yet?

Dizlag
2016-01-05, 12:49 PM
Ooh, I never thought of Vikings... yes... I can see that concept, and I like it. Though my Halflings trend towards Fighters and Rogues too much to really give it a try. I just love my Littleknights too much to break out of that trend. Still, love the idea.

Question though, has anyone thought of throwing you for a ranged melee attack of awesomness yet?

LOL! We do have another barbarian, a goliath, and haven't tried the "toss me" attack yet. With us both raging and getting the advantage on Strength-based checks, this would be VERY kewl to try.

I don't know why, but I'm really liking the halfling race as well. I've played the halfling rogue/thief shooting his bow from chicken-sh!t range with the "move out of cover-shoot with advantage-move back into cover-hide" maneuver during combat. And out of combat he was a master cat-burglar and with his high Charisma he could talk himself out of (or into =) anything.

My last character played was a halfling wild magic sorcerer in the Princes of the Apocalypse in the Adventurer's League on Wednesdays. And oh man he was fun! I rolled an empty wine bottle for his trinket at character creation, dropped a crystal focus in there, put back the stopper, and used it as his focus when casting spells. Wild magic was fun with Butterflies. Bubbles coming out of his mouth and selecting "Catapult" spell after that tossing roasted turkeys and desserts at baddies when "the feast went wrong". Yes, killed someone with a roasted turkey and a dessert platter. So much fun!

Yeah, having fun with my halfling barbarian named Mogar the Tall / Mogar the Calm / Mogar the Tempered. Hehehe

Dizlag

Hudsonian
2016-01-05, 01:32 PM
Is your game strictly raw? I've seen some pretty nasty "Shielded Combatant"/"Steel Wall" homebrewed feats that seem like they could be pretty intense on a Minotaur.

(Basically, 2 shields gives +3AC nonmagical and a shieldbash action for 1d6 + str + str save against 5ft shove. (this does not provoke an attack of opportunity from you.)

Add a 1d10 BA horn attack and it's a pretty sweet attack round.

HarrisonF
2016-01-05, 02:35 PM
With a paladin/rogue/fighter at teammates, I would go Wolf Totem. Giving all of your teammates advantage on attacks is really good.

For race, it would depend on the role you want. Is the warrior a 2H or shield tank or archer? If the warrior is non-2H, then I would go half-orc with great axe for fun times. If the warrior is 2H, then a shield using goliath can make a good tanky type.