PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fey on the Frontlines

Morrison
2016-01-04, 11:47 AM
It seems like something of a contradiction in terms, and looks pretty difficult to put together, but I want to make some kind of melee combatant with strong ties to the fey. I've looked at the fey bloodline for Bloodragers and it looks pretty weak, for both Bloodragers and that one Magus archetype that gets an eldritch bloodline. I was looking at races, too, but all I could find was the Changeling, which doesn't look like it would make a very good frontline combatant either. Should I just go Fighter or something and then take the fey eldritch bloodline through feats? Are there any other possibilities I'm neglecting?

Florian
2016-01-04, 11:49 AM
It seems like something of a contradiction in terms, and looks pretty difficult to put together, but I want to make some kind of melee combatant with strong ties to the fey. I've looked at the fey bloodline for Bloodragers and it looks pretty weak, for both Bloodragers and that one Magus archetype that gets an eldritch bloodline. I was looking at races, too, but all I could find was the Changeling, which doesn't look like it would make a very good frontline combatant either. Should I just go Fighter or something and then take the fey eldritch bloodline through feats? Are there any other possibilities I'm neglecting?

Look up the Fey Foundling feat and then consider a Paladin or Warpriest...

Callin
2016-01-04, 11:55 AM
The Fey Magic Alt Racial for Humans is not too horrible. You give up your 1 extra skill point but gain the ability to cast a few spells in a certain terrain and choice of 2 skills to add to your class list.

Its another option

Spore
2016-01-04, 12:08 PM
A Fey Bloodrage just has to play to its strengths and it is entirely possible. It's just your aren't creating a frontline but some kind of moving melee guy.

Think about it:

1) Critfishing with a Scimitar (or similar 18-20 weapon) to trigger Confusing Critical.
2) Constant movement to keep up Blur (Dodge and Mobility are even Bloodline feats leading up to Spring Attack)
3) Haste effect while in bloodrage improves your landspeed, now you just need a way to attack several times when you move in order to allow for confusing critical to trigger more.

Second idea: Allowing 10 ft. of movement with Following Step/Step Up plus Bullrush, following your target and activating blur. Have the relentless energy of Fey and Barbarians push your poor enemies across the battlefield, keeping them in constant confusion and you in perfect shape due to two percentile rolls they have to go through before being able to attack.

It's very convoluted but doable.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-01-04, 01:57 PM
You might pattern yourself after specific fey; the Vilderavn is a new one that stands out as a martial fey. The best way to imitate it would probably be a Hexcrafter magus, though a warpriest might also work.

Kurald Galain
2016-01-04, 02:24 PM
It seems like something of a contradiction in terms, and looks pretty difficult to put together, but I want to make some kind of melee combatant with strong ties to the fey. I've looked at the fey bloodline for Bloodragers and it looks pretty weak, for both Bloodragers and that one Magus archetype that gets an eldritch bloodline.
Well, the fey bloodline is not that strong. Try a Magus with Arcane bloodline instead (because fey are magical, yes?), focusing on debuffs, and you can go far as a harrying fey striker that's annoyingly hard to hit.

For instance, have a base 50% miss chance plus good AC plus damage reduction (from Defending Bone or Stoneskin); and multiple attacks that crit 30% of the time and cause entangle + shaken + sicken debuff; and invisibility at need. I'd say that makes a pretty good Fey striker :smallamused:

John Longarrow
2016-01-04, 04:15 PM
What level are you starting at?

Morrison
2016-01-04, 10:59 PM
Sporeegg: How effective would that really be, though? Is there a specific archetype you would recommend for it?

Ninjaxenomorph: I was actually planning on thematically tying the character to satyrs in particular. The idea was to create a sort of half-satyr character with horns.

Kurald Galain: I know Arcane is supposed to be great, but it's not really the flavour I'm looking for.

John Longarrow: I'm not sure. I'm not building the character with any specific campaign in mind.

Is there any way to make a Changeling into an effective melee combatant, whether as a tank or a DPS?

John Longarrow
2016-01-04, 11:37 PM
Pixie Swordsage with shadow hand. Nothing nearly as frightening to enemies as seeing your lead heavy hitter move forward just to have it disappear to 1d3+8 damage from small daggers... That is until you take the unarmed strike/superior unarmed strike to do even more damage bare handed...

DR+SR+Natural armor+monster dex= very survivable. Especially since you fly and have improved invisibility.

Sword Sage(1) Feat Shadow Blade/Fighter(1) Fighter Bonus Weapon Proficiency( spiked chain) /Fighter(2) Feat Power Attack Fighter Bonus Weapon Finesse/Sword Sage(2) is a great way to start it off. A dex-centric build with the racial +8 to dex is fantastic. Easy to wind up with a 24 dex. With spiked chain and full power attack that gives you a D6+13 damage on a reach weapon even with a 10 strength. You are flying invisible so you get +4 to hit, +1 from size, and +7 from dex for +12.

Next feat should be combat reflexes. Nothing near as fun as having something run UNDER you and draw 3 AoOs when your running your weed wacker. By that point you should have a magic chain and a dex booster (+2) so you hit +16 to hit doing D6+15 damage... and maybe an extra D6 energy from a weapon crystal.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-01-04, 11:50 PM
Well, changelings aren't really that related to fey, they're the children of Hags. Gnomes are the closest core race to fey, though B4's Gathlain ARE fey; they could make for a decent swashbuckler. Or, if you're fine with a slightly-less frontline role, a skald can be very good choice. It's hard to go wrong with a flyer.

avr
2016-01-05, 12:23 AM
If you go crit-fishing fey bloodrager and you're not likely to reach high level, you might get a bardiche and the cleave feat. Between cleave and AoOs you can get more attacks which means more chances to confuse your enemies.

A nature fang druid can absolutely go on the front line. Fey flavour can be added to a druid quite easily.

If you can go 3rd party consider the Masquerade Reveler (http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/products/convergent-paths-fey-archetypes) archetype for the barbarian.

Molosse
2016-01-05, 04:14 AM

A Eldritch Guardian Fighter (VMC Fey Sorcerer) may work for what you're looking for if you want a full martial.

Spore
2016-01-05, 06:51 AM
Sporeegg: How effective would that really be, though? Is there a specific archetype you would recommend for it?

I'd put that on an Eldritch Scion because of the better action economy. You cannot cast decently otherwise when moving. In addition to that you are more spell inclined (and Fey are almost never about brute strength).

I'd use this as a side tactic though because it's fickle and it doesn't work all the time (i.e. when you cannot move properly, when your enemies are immune to confusion). I'd almost recommend Arcane as bloodline for that though. You get better miss chances from Arcane Bloodrage (which is basically a free spell slot from entering that mystical focus).

Blur/Displacement and Haste are two central pieces of the Erlking Fey creature's combat prowess.

Morrison
2016-01-05, 10:39 AM
A Eldritch Guardian Fighter (VMC Fey Sorcerer) may work for what you're looking for if you want a full martial.

That looks like my best option right now. I can't normally use VMC to get a Wildblooded variant, can I?
I've been comparing VMC to the Eldritch Heritage feats, and unless I'm missing something, VMC just looks better.

Again, there's no way to make a Changeling into an effective melee combatant? I realize that hags aren't considered fey, but folklore-wise, I'd say it's close enough.

Kurald Galain
2016-01-05, 10:43 AM
Again, there's no way to make a Changeling into an effective melee combatant?

Sure there is. Just build a regular character and you'll be effective. Not having a racial bonus to strength only makes you 5% less than a half-orc, that's not a big deal.

Also, ninja. Go invis all the time and shank people, that's fitting for fey.

Molosse
2016-01-06, 05:57 AM
That looks like my best option right now. I can't normally use VMC to get a Wildblooded variant, can I?
I've been comparing VMC to the Eldritch Heritage feats, and unless I'm missing something, VMC just looks better.

Again, there's no way to make a Changeling into an effective melee combatant? I realize that hags aren't considered fey, but folklore-wise, I'd say it's close enough.

A Natural Weapon build utilizing the Hagling Changeling's +1 to damage (Race Trait) and the Mother's Gift: Hag Claws +1 to damage and to-hit with claws (Feat) will most likely start you off well. Beyond that the -2 Con hurts but isn't the end of the world.