PDA

View Full Version : How to call the Formerly-HPoH now?

Inevitability
2016-01-04, 01:28 PM
Now that the evil spirit possessing Durkon's body is not longer the High Priest of Hel, what should we call him now? Has anyone got any good ideas?

Aeliren
2016-01-04, 01:30 PM
"The Vampire Formerly Known as the High Priest of Hel Formerly Known as Durkon Thundershield"?

Or, for short, TVFKatHPoHFKaDT.

Gift Jeraff
2016-01-04, 01:35 PM
Vampire Durkon
Vampire Gontor
etc.

Jasdoif
2016-01-04, 01:38 PM
Now that the evil spirit possessing Durkon's body is not longer the High Priest of Hel, what should we call him now?Until such time as it's conclusive that the designated High Priest of Hel isn't an enslaved thrall bound to every whim he cares to convey, he's still the de facto High Priest of Hel.

So I'm sticking with HPoH for the time being.

Porthos
2016-01-04, 02:11 PM
It's because of the limitations of initals that I've taken to simply calling him "Durkon" (or 'Durkon' if I am typing inside quotation marks already). With the quotes.

Made my life SO much easier when I decided to drop all the nicknames and just go for simplicity.

Gift Jeraff
2016-01-04, 02:17 PM
It's because of the limitations of initals that I've taken to simply calling him "Durkon" (or 'Durkon' if I am typing inside quotation marks already). With the quotes.

Made my life SO much easier when I decided to drop all the nicknames and just go for simplicity.

The problem with that is that it messes up searches for people in the future who want to search for old discussions on the vampire story arc.

Porthos
2016-01-04, 02:22 PM
The problem with that is that it messes up searches for people in the future who want to search for old discussions on the vampire story arc.

Given all the different nicknames "Durkon" has had, I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

This is the Giant's fault for not giving him a name in 946. :smallwink:

Fred would have worked. Maybe Bob. Or even Nokrud for that matter. :smalltongue:

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-04, 02:48 PM
I'm still using Durkula as well as Durkon. Those only really get a separate meaning inside Durk's head.

People searching for any other story arc (like where Roy is dead or Elan doesn't have an instrument or Haley can't speak) don't have different names they can search for either (Doy? Mutealey?), so I don't really see the problem either way.

ti'esar
2016-01-04, 03:24 PM
It doesn't mess up searching that much to call him "Durkon", since you can search for "Durkon" with the quotation marks, but I agree with Jasdoif: this is clearly just abusing a rules loophole and he's still effectively the High Priest of Hel.

Kurald Galain
2016-01-04, 03:24 PM
Fred would have worked. Maybe Bob. Or even Nokrud for that matter. :smalltongue:

I ekil taht. Dleihsrednuht osla sdnuos taerg delleps sdrawkcab.

Onyavar
2016-01-04, 06:43 PM
While I liked "Hippo" (short for HPoH), this opportunity no longer exists since he abdicated.

So I fall back on the other preferred nickname I have for him: Undurkon. The name not only confers that he is undead, it also shows that he is certainly not Durkon.

Fey
2016-01-04, 08:16 PM
"The Vampire Formerly Known as the High Priest of Hel Formerly Known as Durkon Thundershield"?

Or, for short, TVFKatHPoHFKaDT.

This gets my vote.

So, what do you think TVFKatHPoHFKaDT will do next? How will he get the Dwarven elders dominated without their god realizing? Surely TVFKatHPoHFKaDT has a plan.

Emperordaniel
2016-01-04, 08:20 PM
"Used to be High but is now just an 'ordinary' Priest of Hel"

rambaldi
2016-01-04, 08:39 PM
I'm still using Durkula as well as Durkon. Those only really get a separate meaning inside Durk's head.

People searching for any other story arc (like where Roy is dead or Elan doesn't have an instrument or Haley can't speak) don't have different names they can search for either (Doy? Mutealey?), so I don't really see the problem either way.

I quite like the name Durkula :)

Lombard
2016-01-04, 09:40 PM
Now that the evil spirit possessing Durkon's body is not longer the High Priest of Hel, what should we call him now? Has anyone got any good ideas?

http://s29.postimg.org/q6x9tofvn/VFKAHPOH.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/q6x9tofvn/)

Alchemist_Fire
2016-01-04, 10:29 PM
This is the Giant's fault for not giving him a name in 946.

In 0953, he is dubbed Lurky Corpsewhiskers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0953.html)

Aeliren
2016-01-05, 01:13 AM
This gets my vote.

So, what do you think TVFKatHPoHFKaDT will do next? How will he get the Dwarven elders dominated without their god realizing? Surely TVFKatHPoHFKaDT has a plan.

I'm thinking of renaming it to "The Vampire Formerly Known as the High Priest of Hel Formerly Known as the Dwarven Cleric of Thor Known as Durkon Thundershield", TVFKatHPoHFKatDCoTKaDT for short.

I'm sure TVFKatHPoHFKatDCoTKaDT has a master plan in mind, even as we speak.

ti'esar
2016-01-05, 01:17 AM
http://s29.postimg.org/q6x9tofvn/VFKAHPOH.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/q6x9tofvn/)

This wins the thread as far as I'm concerned. A couple of other people have made the same basic joke, but it's much funnier with the visual.

skim172
2016-01-05, 03:11 AM
How about "Jerkface"? :smallannoyed:

"Count Jerku"?

"Jerkon"? :smallmad:

(I don't like him, is my point here. Jerk.)

Bedinsis
2016-01-05, 04:28 AM
I suggest Vamp-Durkon. It conveys who one is talking of, even if it is the first time one has read the name.

Bulldog Psion
2016-01-05, 04:38 AM
In 0953, he is dubbed Lurky Corpsewhiskers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0953.html)

I've been calling him Lurky Corpsewhiskers for quite some time now.

IMO, Belkar's nicknames for people are hilarious. And this has the advantage of being kind of his only current canon name, too. :smallbiggrin:

Domino Quartz
2016-01-05, 04:55 AM
SHPoH. This has the advantage of being easily pronounceable. Or maybe LPoH.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-05, 11:19 AM
I'd like it if HpoH chose a name, and that name was either cliché or unpronounceable.
HpoH: From this point on, I shall be... PHYRNGLSNYX!
Gontor: Master! That name needs more apostrophes!

Emperordaniel
2016-01-05, 12:34 PM
I'd like it if HpoH chose a name, and that name was either cliché or unpronounceable.

Indeed, it's actually pronounceable otherwise: Fear-en-gil-sniks. :smalltongue:

Onyavar
2016-01-05, 01:31 PM
Indeed, it's actually pronounceable otherwise: Fear-en-gil-sniks. :smalltongue:

Maybe we should call him that!

Actually, once you know how to say that, it's easy. Pay attention to not pronounce the non-vocalized e and i in "-en-gil-"
For all of us who know the phonetic alphabet: [fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Deprox
2016-01-05, 02:10 PM
The name just needs an extra "L". Now he's HLPoH, which stands for Highest Leveled Priest of Hel.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-05, 04:42 PM
Maybe we should call him that!

Actually, once you know how to say that, it's easy. Pay attention to not pronounce the non-vocalized e and i in "-en-gil-"
For all of us who know the phonetic alphabet: [fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

I know a bit of phonetics, and that looks like how I said that word in my head!
PHYRNGLSNYX: more or less silly than Durkula?

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-01-05, 05:29 PM
...Honestly, I'm tempted to take the lazy route and still call him the High Priest of Hel, under the assumption that most people will know who I'm talking about. Maybe I can use that smiley.

Emperordaniel
2016-01-05, 05:55 PM
I know a bit of phonetics, and that looks like how I said that word in my head!
PHYRNGLSNYX: more or less silly than Durkula?

I say less silly. :smallbiggrin:

Vinyadan
2016-01-06, 06:14 AM
Or even Nokrud for that matter. :smalltongue:

That makes him sound like someone deeply opposed to raw foodism. :smallbiggrin: Or to muck.

How about "Jerkface"? :smallannoyed:

"Count Jerku"?

"Jerkon"? :smallmad:

(I don't like him, is my point here. Jerk.)

That's why I call it Dorkula.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-06, 07:38 AM
I say less silly. :smallbiggrin:

I've been sigged! And on my birthday too! There is no higher honour!

Although I fear this'll lead to a chain of culpability if Phyrnglsnyx becomes used regularly...

ghoul-n
2016-01-06, 10:28 AM
Undurkon is kinda nice.

Pyrous
2016-01-06, 10:42 AM

How about PH'RNGLSN'X?

Roland Itiative
2016-01-06, 11:00 AM
Durkula still works quite nicely :smalltongue:

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-08, 11:54 AM
Durkula still works quite nicely :smalltongue:

I've never liked Durkula as a name, really. The more I mentally replace HpoH, Durkula, Durkon, Durksferatu etc. with Phyrnglsnyx, the more I warm to the idea.

Emperordaniel
2016-01-08, 04:07 PM
I've never liked Durkula as a name, really. The more I mentally replace HpoH, Durkula, Durkon, Durksferatu etc. with Phyrnglsnyx, the more I warm to the idea.

Now if only someone could create something that would overwrite every instance of *those names* with Phyrnglsnyx... :smallbiggrin:

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-01-08, 05:18 PM
Now if only someone could create something that would overwrite every instance of *those names* with Phyrnglsnyx... :smallbiggrin:

Phyrnglsnyxicide!

Psyren
2016-01-09, 02:12 AM
I still alternate between Darkon and Durkula.

Bulldog Psion
2016-01-09, 03:49 AM
How about Vurkon V(ampire) (D)urkon?

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-09, 05:42 AM

My programming friend once wrote a Firefox addon that did something similar. Time will tell if Phyrnglsnyx becomes popular enough to warrant me asking him how it's done.

Vinyadan
2016-01-09, 08:12 AM
Can't we call him Pr-Pr? "Previous Priest?"

Kurald Galain
2016-01-09, 02:05 PM
How about Vurkon V(ampire) (D)urkon?

That sounds like the OTP for V/Durkon shipfics :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2016-01-09, 02:09 PM
I've been calling him Lurky Corpsewhiskers for quite some time now.

IMO, Belkar's nicknames for people are hilarious. And this has the advantage of being kind of his only current canon name, too. :smallbiggrin:
Technically, apparently, his canon name is Durkon Thundershield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1000.html).

Of course, calling him that guarantees being almost maximally confusing.

(The only way to be more confusing, would be to call him by a name already attached to a character with a separate body. "The former High Priest of Hel will now be known as Roy Greenhilt...")

Vinyadan
2016-01-09, 02:14 PM
Technically, apparently, his canon name is Durkon Thundershield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1000.html).

Of course, calling him that guarantees being almost maximally confusing.

(The only way to be more confusing, would be to call him by a name already attached to a character with a separate body. "The former High Priest of Hel will now be known as Roy Greenhilt...")

The Prince formerly known as Charles and the artist formerly known as Prince... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvJu94afDd0)

Jasdoif
2016-01-09, 02:20 PM
Technically, apparently, his canon name is Durkon Thundershield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1000.html).He was still wanting to be seen as a variant of the living Durkon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1002.html) at the time, though; I wouldn't put any bets on that being the truth.

rodneyAnonymous
2016-01-09, 03:10 PM
Technically, apparently, his canon name is Durkon Thundershield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1000.html)

I was going to point that out, but as I typed "he has no reason to lie", I realized he does: he is still pretending to be "Durkon with a new outlook" at that point, Roy doesn't figure out that it's a separate entity for a few strips.

Yanisa
2016-01-10, 02:49 AM

Just google "word replacement add-on" + your browser. (For firefox I found FoxReplace. Not sure how well it compares to others, it was the first one I found.) :smalltongue:

Now I see silly things like

I still alternate between Phyrnglsnyx and Phyrnglsnyx.

Bulldog Psion
2016-01-10, 09:28 AM
Just google "word replacement add-on" + your browser. (For firefox I found FoxReplace. Not sure how well it compares to others, it was the first one I found.) :smalltongue:

That's so hilarious it's almost enough to make me do it. :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2016-01-10, 09:42 AM

Thank you. It's a relief to know I'll never have to see that god-awful name again.

Psyren
2016-01-10, 02:39 PM
Just keep in mind there's a forum rule against modifying other people's posts in quotes. If you're going to quote me, I'd appreciate if you didn't make it look like I was typing gibberish, thanks.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-10, 03:23 PM
Just keep in mind there's a forum rule against modifying other people's posts in quotes. If you're going to quote me, I'd appreciate if you didn't make it look like I was typing gibberish, thanks.

Agreed. It's all fun and games, but remember Phyrnglsnyx is a privilege, not a right, and I'd rather not get on the wrong side of any mods.

NihhusHuotAliro
2016-01-10, 03:45 PM
Yeerkon is pretty much spot-on, but it only works for animorphs fans.

Jerkon, Dorkon, and Durkoff are hilariously petty and are pretty much my personal favorites, but are not good names for a long, serious, discussion of the intricate blahblahs of whatever.

Not-Durkon, Nokrud, Durkon*, "Durkon", Darkon, all express the idea of a counterfeit Durkon quite well, without expressing 'vampire Durkon'.

Durkula, Vampire Durkon, Vampkon, Vurkon, the Durpire/Durkpire, all express the idea of Vampire Durkon quite well, without expressing 'counterfeit Durkon'.

High Priest of Hel has the advantage of being more a position or role than a name, which ties in with how the evil spirit inhabiting Durkon's body really doesn't have much of an identity beyond serving Hel and impersonating/tormenting Durkon. From this, HpoH and Hippoh/Hippo. This family of names is unique in not being based upon the root name Durkon.

I actually like the multitude of names, and how this character doesn't even have a single accepted appellation. Names are important markers of independent identity and existence in OOTS, and this malevolent spirit, this false friend, doesn't get one.

Redcloak and Xykon might be fake names, but they're names, and we know what to call these characters.

Killer Angel
2016-01-10, 04:00 PM
Yeerkon is pretty much spot-on, but it only works for animorphs fans.

Jerkon, Dorkon, and Durkoff are hilariously petty and are pretty much my personal favorites, but are not good names for a long, serious, discussion of the intricate blahblahs of whatever.

Not-Durkon, Nokrud, Durkon*, "Durkon", Darkon, all express the idea of a counterfeit Durkon quite well, without expressing 'vampire Durkon'.

Durkula, Vampire Durkon, Vampkon, Vurkon, the Durpire/Durkpire, all express the idea of Vampire Durkon quite well, without expressing 'counterfeit Durkon'.

High Priest of Hel has the advantage of being more a position or role than a name, which ties in with how the evil spirit inhabiting Durkon's body really doesn't have much of an identity beyond serving Hel and impersonating/tormenting Durkon. From this, HpoH and Hippoh/Hippo. This family of names is unique in not being based upon the root name Durkon.

I actually like the multitude of names, and how this character doesn't even have a single accepted appellation. Names are important markers of independent identity and existence in OOTS, and this malevolent spirit, this false friend, doesn't get one.

If we go for personal tastes, I'll keep using Durkula. It served me well.

veti
2016-01-10, 04:14 PM
If we go for personal tastes, I'll keep using Durkula. It served me well.

I agree. Keep it simple. Which silly name you use is less important than making your meaning clear.

That's where "Phyrnglsnyx" falls down. No-one who hasn't read this thread will know who the Hel you're talking about.

Incidentally, for those who use FoxReplace or similar... more power to 'em, I'm all for editing your own subjective reality so that the rest of us don't have to conform to it. But I can't help but chuckle at the thought of what this thread must look like now.