PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mage Support for My Bear Warrior

killingfish
2016-01-04, 02:40 PM
It this point i have a lv 10 barb/fighter/Bear Warrior glass cannon. and i can make it a hell of a lot better if i take leadership to have a mage support so that it can cast animal growth and other spells to help buff/heal me.
The only problem is that the Bear Warrior is my 2nd charactor of all time and i dont have a clue where to start with the mage.
at this moment my leadership score is 10 meaning i can have a lv 7 cohort. Would anyone be able to help?

'EDIT' forgot to say no druids

Flickerdart
2016-01-04, 02:50 PM
One thing you will want to make sure is that your mage is safe. A primary character who is a spellcaster can use buffs and gear to make himself hard to kill, but a cohort gets no wealth of his own and will be casting spells on you instead of himself. This means you probably want to avoid arcane casters, and go for a cleric (who are hardy with good hit dice, AC, and saves) or druid (who comes with his own pet that can guard him).

Try to focus on buffs that have a range of at least Close. Touch range buffs should always be cast before combat or on the first round of combat (before your bear warrior charges forward), so that your underleveled cohort isn't near the front lines when full attacks start flying. If you cannot cast these buffs ahead of time, make sure your caster has access to a way that extends the range of his spells (Reach Spell, Ocular Spell, a familiar that can carry a charge, etc) so he can keep buffing you in battle.

Extend Spell is great for obvious reasons - 7 hour spell duration is not super, but 14 hour spell duration covers your entire adventuring day. Consider giving him feats like Practical Metamagic that reduce the cost of Extending spells.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-04, 02:52 PM
A bear warrior with a druid as a companion sounds like a good way to shake up the natural order of things. :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2016-01-04, 03:15 PM
Fun fact: a 7th level druid is just high enough level to get a brown bear as companion. Unless you have magebred animals or other such things available to you, it's one of the best options at that level.