PDA

View Full Version : What is Roy's "job" now?

FallenFallcrest
2016-01-04, 02:40 PM
Now that Durkula abdicated his position as HPoH, is Roy still the Guardian of the new HPoH? If it were that easy for Durkula to abdicate his position, why couldn't Durkula have fired Roy, removing his status as the bodyguard and so preventing Roy for having legal power to attack Durkula. They would not have needed to fight at all.

Durkula was nearly killed and I can't see a reason for him to not be able to fire Roy. Even if he wanted to fight Roy and try and kill him on equal terms for some reason, he has no need for Roy's involvement now. If he fired Roy, there would be no threat to the current HPoH, except for Belkar, because Belkar is thought to be dead.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-04, 02:43 PM
It seems like he was very confident he at least wouldn't lose the fight, and he was hoping to take Roy out before the next phase, where he goes off to the dwarven lands.

I don't think Roy is a threat to the new high priest, he was the bodyguard of Durkon specifically, not of the high priest of Hell.

FallenFallcrest
2016-01-04, 03:00 PM
I agree it was probably confidence then and neglect now.

Also, didn't Durkon cheat? According to the rules of the Godsmoot, none of those other Vampires are either the one true representative of a recognized deity, or one of the two allowed bodyguards of the deity.

That would mean that the other clerics are allowed to attack them, reducing the ranks to one untrained vampire HPoH and Roy ready to kick her vampiric butt, if he is still her body guard. If he is not the body guard anymore, then nobody has the legal right to kill the last vampire, and everyone is screwed.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-04, 03:17 PM
Those vampires can be attacked by everyone, but they also can attack everyone. They're not an official part of the meeting, and they should have been stopped by the Creed of Stone at the door. If they just stand there and not attack anyone I think the high priests will choose not dying and losing their vote over killing vampires that have no impact on the meeting (they still can't kill the high priest after all).

They could try to kill the old high priest, but he's holding a teleport orb and has a whole army of vampires ready to attack them right back.

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-04, 03:46 PM
Roy's job is what it has always been: lead the Order of the Stick in its efforts to defeat Xykon, and as his job description has been updated over the course of various volumes of OoTS, "to prevent that last gate from being destroyed, and the Snarl either being let loose or serving Xykon and/or Red Cloak."

That's still Roy's job. Has been for a while. The bodyguard role was mostly a dodge to get him into the Godsmoot ... but I also see it as a self referential joke on how often Roy (back in early strips) was the one carrying Durkon (he of the slow feet) out of harm's way in one of the many "run away" scenarios.

Olinser
2016-01-04, 04:28 PM
I agree it was probably confidence then and neglect now.

Also, didn't Durkon cheat? According to the rules of the Godsmoot, none of those other Vampires are either the one true representative of a recognized deity, or one of the two allowed bodyguards of the deity.

That would mean that the other clerics are allowed to attack them, reducing the ranks to one untrained vampire HPoH and Roy ready to kick her vampiric butt, if he is still her body guard. If he is not the body guard anymore, then nobody has the legal right to kill the last vampire, and everyone is screwed.

They're all members of the Creed of Stone. As such, they are allowed to be there. Now that they're servants of Hel, I don't think their status changed.

Now the only real question is whether the other priests are allowed to attack them.

Personally, I'd lean towards them being able to kill all of them except the newly designated High Priest. That one is up to Roy, but the others are fair game.

Quild
2016-01-04, 06:30 PM
but they also can attack everyone. They're not an official part of the meeting

Well, I'm not sure they can. For the same reasons a god can't bring an army of followers to the Godsmoot. It's a quite direct violation of how it's intended to work.

Also, the Godsmoot does not magically compell gods to do what is voted (I suppose...). Such violation would probably cancel or delay the décision.

FallenFallcrest
2016-01-04, 11:45 PM
Roy's job is what it has always been: lead the Order of the Stick in its efforts to defeat Xykon, and as his job description has been updated over the course of various volumes of OoTS, "to prevent that last gate from being destroyed, and the Snarl either being let loose or serving Xykon and/or Red Cloak."

That's still Roy's job. Has been for a while. The bodyguard role was mostly a dodge to get him into the Godsmoot ... but I also see it as a self referential joke on how often Roy (back in early strips) was the one carrying Durkon (he of the slow feet) out of harm's way in one of the many "run away" scenarios.

I think you misunderstand, by "job", I was referring to his temporary role as a bodyguard. If it no longer applies, than there are serious implications for the Godsmoot representatives, because then Roy is not allowed to kill the current HPoH. Killing the current HPoH would negate the vote of Hel at the council. I know killing all of the vampires in the room is only one way this story could go in the next couple of pages, but it is something that should be thought about.

skim172
2016-01-05, 03:17 AM
Since I think Hel's little army is about to unleash some vampiric whoopass on the whole congregation, I think we can say safely argue that Hel may have broken the neutrality pact first.

I guess the "Front-archess" there could hang back and thus keep her neutrality, but clearly the rest of the gang of Hel's Satans are in violation of the rules already, as they've entered the chambers despite having no standing there, so the priests and bodyguards are free to stake as many hearts and brains as they desire.

Problem would be, I guess, that the vampires could take down at least a few priests first, which might lead to some issues.

I mean, I'm assuming the Hel's Satans are up to no good - maybe they've entered the chambers scowling and brandishing weaponry purely for intimidation purposes.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-05, 04:04 AM
Since I think Hel's little army is about to unleash some vampiric whoopass on the whole congregation, I think we can say safely argue that Hel may have broken the neutrality pact first.

That's exactly why I think the vampires are not going to attack, unless others start attacking first, like if people would start firing arrows at Durkon (for all the good that would do with him holding the orb).

I also don't think regulations allow for all those vampires to be present, but that part of the rules is supposed to be policed by the ushers, and they're kind of unavailable at the moment (or alternatively these guys still count as the ushers and are as such welcome to come and go around this meeting as they please).

I think it's supposed to be a stalemate, leaving the order to go after Durkon alone (or maybe with some other bodyguards or something, or even a certain representative of another pantheon, but without an army if high priests).

I'd say something about a bunch of low level vampires being a good challenge for Belkar, but I was probably completely 180 degrees wrong about his part in all of this, making him a bodyguard seems to have been a way to prevent him from interfering. (And of course now he's going to burst in and save the day, me and my stupid predictions...)

Wildroses
2016-01-05, 07:12 AM
I mean, I'm assuming the Hel's Satans are up to no good - maybe they've entered the chambers scowling and brandishing weaponry purely for intimidation purposes.

That's actually what I assumed initially. Now, nobody will get hurt providing all you High Priests stay inside this temple so your votes don't get invalidated, and no attempts whatsoever are made to contact the Dwarven Elders to warn them a pair of vampires are trying to dominate them all so they vote to destroy the world.

But equally likely is Durkula has called for reinforcements now Roy has no official role affording him any protection at this Godsmoot, and Durkula wants him out of the way as he thinks dominating the Elders will be easier if Roy is gone.

Bulldog Psion
2016-01-05, 09:46 AM

Why on Earth would they attack the "whole congregation?" :smallconfused: Lurky is obviously setting things up so he can leave and dominate the elders in order to secure Dvalin's vote. He and Gontor pretty much explicitly said so in #1016. He can't leave the Anti-Life Shell without Roy attacking him again, so he called the reinforcements he means to bring along to come to him.

Another strip and they're going to "poof" and Roy is going to become a random civilian ejected from the council chamber.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-05, 10:46 AM
Or maybe Roy finds a way to ride their poof, and Belkar arrives just in time to be too late and to hear from the priests about where they went?

Nah, probably not.

Malfarian
2016-01-05, 02:19 PM
If they are NOT part of Hel's church, they are not protected, it could be interesting.

Onyavar
2016-01-06, 07:13 PM
why couldn't Durkula have fired Roy, removing his status as the bodyguard and so preventing Roy for having legal power to attack Durkula. They would not have needed to fight at all.

Durkula was nearly killed and I can't see a reason for him to not be able to fire Roy. Even if he wanted to fight Roy and try and kill him on equal terms for some reason, he has no need for Roy's involvement now. [...]
Undurkon had more than one iron in the fire, so to speak. He is a crafty, careful planner who occasionally takes great personal risks, as long as he has chances of pulling it off.

If Undurkon had killed and VAMPED Roy - something he was apparently counting on, as seen during their fight - he would have had a very powerful and absolutely loyal vampire fighter bodyguard. Come on, a bodyguard with great equipment, cross-class skills, decent stats all around... what's not to like? Well, this optional plan has failed. Now, Undurkon _only_ has the Exarch and a few other mooks to take with him to the dwarven lands.

Just so you know, things could have been worse. The order IS making progress here.

Silverionmox
2016-01-07, 04:43 PM
Those vampires can be attacked by everyone, but they also can attack everyone. They're not an official part of the meeting, and they should have been stopped by the Creed of Stone at the door. If they just stand there and not attack anyone I think the high priests will choose not dying and losing their vote over killing vampires that have no impact on the meeting (they still can't kill the high priest after all).

They could try to kill the old high priest, but he's holding a teleport orb and has a whole army of vampires ready to attack them right back.

That Vampire Formerly Known As Hel's High Priest Formerly Known As Durkon has unambiguously stated his intention to pervert and interfere with the voting process though. That ought to count for something. In addition to the obvious interference he already has committed by forcibly converting the Creed to his side, thereby robbing the meeting of its ushers and guards - as can easily be confirmed by any "detect alignment" ability, and that ability isn't exactly rare in this selection of people.

hrožila
2016-01-08, 06:03 AM
That Vampire Formerly Known As Hel's High Priest Formerly Known As Durkon has unambiguously stated his intention to pervert and interfere with the voting process though. That ought to count for something.
Not necessarily. The vote of the dwarven elders is most likely not subject to Godsmoot rules, as it's not really a part of it. Durkon and Hel can conceivably mess with it as much as they like without breaking the rules that matter.

Tentreto
2016-01-10, 05:35 PM
My question is why Roy doesn't kill the new high priest, turn around, and declare that he is at the front, therefore he is hpoh, and thus votes no. As the bodyguard, he has some claim in church hierarchy.

Porthos
2016-01-10, 05:53 PM
My question is why Roy doesn't kill the new high priest, turn around, and declare that he is at the front, therefore he is hpoh, and thus votes no. As the bodyguard, he has some claim in church hierarchy.

A) He's not a cleric.
B) He can't cast Summon Proxy
C) It's Hel who votes through their proxy.

Thus Roy couldn't vote, even if he wanted to. After all, none of the other priests present voted either. :smallsmile:

===

As for the question of the OP, "Durkon" wanted to kill Roy. He's made it very clear what he thinks of him. So he saw the opportunity and took it.

Is it a risk? Of course it is. Is it in character for "Durkon" to take that risk? Yeah, I think so.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-10, 05:59 PM
You have to be a cleric of Hel if you want to be the fronternmost (that is a word, starting today) cleric of Hel. In D&D priesthood is handled pretty personally by the gods, if they don't except you you're not a priest. Even if Roy could fake being the proxy of Hel, he has to fake being her cleric first. That might be doable for another cleric with a matching domain, but not for a fighter.

Seto
2016-01-10, 06:23 PM

No backsies. Plus, it's not the high priest who votes, but Hel, via proxy. Plus, it is not time to ask that question yet - it will be when Roy chooses another course of action, that's to say in a further strip.

Kish
2016-01-10, 07:20 PM

I guess the "Front-archess" there could hang back and thus keep her neutrality, but clearly the rest of the gang of Hel's Satans are in violation of the rules already, as they've entered the chambers despite having no standing there, so the priests and bodyguards are free to stake as many hearts and brains as they desire.

Problem would be, I guess, that the vampires could take down at least a few priests first, which might lead to some issues.

"Brandishing weaponry"? One of them is wearing a shield. None of them have weapons.

hrožila
2016-01-10, 07:57 PM
"Brandishing weaponry"? One of them is wearing a shield. None of them have weapons.
Except for the pretty prominent morningstar the new High Priestess is wielding, you mean.

Kish
2016-01-10, 08:02 PM
I stand corrected; the art style threw me for a minute. One of them has a morningstar/mace and shield. The others are unarmed. If the one "brandishing weaponry" attacks the other priests, well, feel free to link to this post and say you were right and I was wrong.