PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Standard cosmology: What can a Paladin do in the Feywilds

Spore
2016-01-04, 04:22 PM
So, as a big unholy artifact (likely a seal keeping the lower planes from entering the material plane) got destroyed by my overzealous and naive Paladin, our group was hurled amongst the planes. While part of my group was hurled towards some kind of tropical coast line (most likely the ethereal plane) my Paladin (his Eldritch Knight NPC brother) and our Sorcerer were hurled as far as into the Feywilds.

We were fighting a possessed ancient green dragon when we decided to destroy the seal and we will have to free the guardian of the woods from the demonic influence. We might have torn a big gaping hole into the barrier between worlds so we need the support we can get. My Paladin is in front of the court of the (Summer) Fey and I am at a loss of what I could possibly request.

The sorcerer is an int focussed homebrew version (think spontaneous wizard) that could describe the whole situation with important detail. My character could persuade them into helping us. But I just don't know what we could ask for. Fey are fickle beings but I guess the queen should know the grave importance of working interdimensional barriers unless she wants humans hunting in her domain. (Even if she can kill them easily it is still an annoyance, and with several handful of very powerful villains our DM has under his control I guess it is in her best interest not to have a permanent gate into the Feywilds accessible by the most basic of foot soldiers (or even airships which exist in the setting).

tl;dr: We destroyed the planar barriers and can ask the Fey Court for help. What would you ask for?

- teach the sorcerer a ritual spell to mend smaller holes in the planar barrier
- bring the group back together, then find the green dragon in the "void" between the planes and fight it with assistance
- teach me some kind of weakness that the green dragon has since they should know him as the protector of the enchanted fey forest in the material plane

Douche
2016-01-04, 04:29 PM
Ask them for festive hats. If you appeal to their sense of whimsy, then they will side with you.

CantigThimble
2016-01-04, 04:37 PM
I'd probably avoid looking too submissive or serious, put on your arrogant smile and your swagger. If you look like you would be more fun to mess with than to ally with you could easily get pranked into oblivion. (literally)

Spore
2016-01-04, 06:30 PM
I guess the Fey won't be as insanely whimsical if the fate of their kingdom is at stake. After all, if the planar barriers drop, totally unfun demons, daemons and devils will partake in their parties. Totally not rad. But I know HOW I want to ask my favors. I am just unsure what to ask for really.

Kane0
2016-01-04, 07:11 PM
- Swap me with the dragon!
- Give me/Guide me to a McGuffin to fix the holes/kill the dragon!
- Give me anti-demonic influence lotion!
- Tell me a way to alter the unholy artifact parts into awesome artifact parts!
- Roll with it. Planar barriers aren't all they're cracked up to be, ask for the means to secure your security/success in the new world!

Actually thats a fun plot hook. Instead of looking for a way to reverse the incident, be the first to look for a way to capitalize on it. Psopose a new and closer alliance between you mortals and feykind, rally up and start taking lands before the demons roll in with the same plan. That'll make things interesting.

Coidzor
2016-01-04, 09:01 PM
Is this standard cosmology now? I thought they undid most of 4e's changes aside from keeping the Feywild and the changed name of the shadowfell instead of plane of shadow.

Kane0
2016-01-04, 09:15 PM
To be fair, we couldn't let the fey out back into the wild. They have to be contained for all our sakes.

Spore
2016-01-05, 08:30 AM
Propose a new and closer alliance between you mortals and feykind, rally up and start taking lands before the demons roll in with the same plan.

Okay, that is the most obvious one and similarily the most fitting one. We have always felt powerless and insignificant as a rather powerful band of mercenaries but now that we have the money of my father's trade empire (has to be annexed because his money was created by inviting the demons in) but lack an army. Now we have the finances but we are surrounded by demons and lack an army. Sure the empire has guards and we have enough soldiers to control our small hometown but other than that we are on enemy territory, surrounded by demons AND if we breach those lines we are surrounded by Devils.

Do you think a Fey Queen would accept a significant area on the material plane as reward for the support of her armies and powers? Use the tear to bring a flood of fey beasts and fey to the material plane and fight off the demonic invasion. This can change the map of the world permanently but if we have to accept a dangerous Fey Forest amidst the continent instead of a demonic corruption spreading, I prefer sprites toying with wanderers rather than imps and quasits stealing mortal souls.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-05, 08:43 AM
Do you think a Fey Queen would accept a significant area on the material plane as reward for the support of her armies and powers?

Assuming Tiandra is still Queen of the Summer Court, yes, there is a chance she'll go for this. She's one of the most Lawful archfey and has a well-known fondness for mortals, so this could be a great opportunity for her to create some kind of protectorate on the Material Plane where she can frolic with humanoids as well as preserving wild nature in that plane.

You might also ask her for tactical advice in whatever upcoming fights you have - she is described as a masterful military leader.

Spore
2016-01-05, 10:43 AM
Assuming Tiandra is still Queen of the Summer Court, yes, there is a chance she'll go for this.

She might not be named Tiandra but I figure she will be at least similar in nature. If not stated explicitly most important deities and demibeings are kept the same. That's why Asmodeus is one of our main antagonists (he's in a win-win situation. If his servants die, he has the soul of an ancient red dragon, if his servants win, there will be a great influx in souls), although our DM has subsummarized any non-devil fiend into the same evil force that is at home in the ethereal plane, the realm of dreams. They are immaterial without a host.

I sincerely hope he kept her in a manner that a mere mortal can convince her of anything.