PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell Dancer/Bladed Scarf Dancer

NuclearCommando
2016-01-04, 07:44 PM
So, I was considering fun character concepts, when I inevitably came back to the Magus (because apparently my brain typecasts or something since 1/3rd of my PF characters boil down to a magus) and found the Scarf Dancer. Cool, sounds like some weaboo rock band name, so let's try it, says my brain.

But both the Elven Spell Dancer and the Bladed Scarf Dancer, while they stack, aren't particularly good. And as far as I recall, Bad*Bad is Bad squared, not Good. Now, I could ignore the weaknesses of this and just roll with it, but I like my mid tier optimization so I come to y'all for advice.

I'd want the character to be around 10th level, and I'd want some way of actually doing damage with the archetype combo I have.

Geddy2112
2016-01-05, 05:51 AM
Well, the spell dancer is actually decent-not top tier optimized but it is fairly decent. The bladed scarf dancer is almost exactly like the kensai(which is really good) but locked into the bladed scarf and none of the upsides.

Since you are an elf,you are looking for a critfish dex build, which usually uses a scimitar for dervish dance to get dex to damage. Being able to give the scarf reach is one of the only real sells of the bladed dancer. I suggest just playing a kensai scimitar magus, or a kensai scarf magus, or a spell dancer elf magus instead of the bladed scarf.

If you are totally sold, three ranks in unchained rogue will get you dex to damage with your scarf, as will the agile enchantment. For the scarf dancer, maxing intelligence is a must to get canny defense and some extra spells as you will get one less than usual. Max dex and int, then decent con, dump strength and charisma and wisdom as low as you feel comfortable-I personally never go below 10 but you could go as low as 8.

Consider improved trip/disarm and the greaters with the scarf, and improved crit/keen even though it will only be 19/20. A familiar and the free metamagics are the best arcanas you can get for almost any magus. There are some decent choices for the spell blending arcana, and you might want wand wielder/wand mastery to make up for your fewer spells a day

Florian
2016-01-05, 06:47 AM
Spell Dancer/Kapenia Dancer is actually not a bad combination. It is very dependent on the Arcane pool, though, and you´ll eat through it quick.

If done right, this will mainly be a "caster killer", as you use your Spell Dancer speed to engage (charge action) and then use Spirit Fingers to either snatch their component pouch or holy symbol.

NuclearCommando
2016-01-05, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the help! I'm considering adding Hexcrafter in there, too, because of the power it adds and the fact that I can refluff the hexes as the Thassilonian runes that the character uses. What should I focus on feats and arcana wise? Trip style fighter stuff, or metamagic feats for shocking grasp? And should I go for Precise Strike, or get some of the more traditional magus arcana?

(Of course, grabbing the reach arcana for the scarf seems obvious, and has already been suggested as being one of it's upsides, so...)

Florian
2016-01-06, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the help! I'm considering adding Hexcrafter in there, too, because of the power it adds and the fact that I can refluff the hexes as the Thassilonian runes that the character uses. What should I focus on feats and arcana wise? Trip style fighter stuff, or metamagic feats for shocking grasp? And should I go for Precise Strike, or get some of the more traditional magus arcana?

(Of course, grabbing the reach arcana for the scarf seems obvious, and has already been suggested as being one of it's upsides, so...)

That´s not making too much sense as both archetypes so far are weapon-focused and should enter melee combat as fast as possible.

Spell Dancer gives you speed and you want to support that by picking Dodge > Mobility and/or casting Mirror Image.

Kapenia Dancer is focused on maneuvers and you want to support that by picking Agile Maneuvers (and/or Maneuver Mastery arcana), Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise > Improved/Greater Trip/Disarm/Steal.

De-MAD-ing it: You should spent the three feats for Slashing Grace here, allowing you to dump more Stats and catering to the Elf racial boni.