PDA

View Full Version : Druid spellcasting focus question

Darkzekkai
2016-01-05, 12:03 AM
So I was looking in the phb on pg 66. It says druids use branches of various types of wood as their focus. They also use these as weapons. So would a quarterstaff made of oak be considered both a weapon and a spell focus? Additionally, would this also apply to a nature domain cleric?

SharkForce
2016-01-05, 12:08 AM
if you pay the cost of a spellcasting focus (staff), then yeah i'd let you use it as a quarterstaff as well.

Darkzekkai
2016-01-05, 12:12 AM
How much would that cost?

SharkForce
2016-01-05, 01:16 AM

if you wish to get technical, the actual item i am referring to is in the adventuring gear section of the PHB and is not called a spellcasting focus but a druidic focus (which is to say, it is a spellcasting focus suitable for druids). it costs 5 gp.

Strill
2016-01-05, 01:16 AM

In the PHB's equipment list under Druidic Focus. He's saying that you can't just grab any old quarterstaff and use it as a focus, but you can take a Druidic focus staff and use it as a quarterstaff.

Darkzekkai
2016-01-05, 12:50 PM
Oh ok. That's not bad. I was expecting something ridiculous. Also, do you think a nature cleric can learn druidic their extra language? I know druidic is supposed to be secret to the druids, but I didn't know if it was strictly limited to druids. Would it be better to have him know sylvan or primordial?

Yuki Akuma
2016-01-05, 12:52 PM
Druidic is specifically restricted to Druids. Hence the name. To learn Druidic you gotta multiclass.

It's not even really a 'language' in fifth edition - it's a class feature.

Falcon X
2016-01-05, 01:21 PM
IDK, I look at the druidic language like I do Thieves Cant. Sure, it's a language of sorts, but you will never learn it unless you are a Druid. It's something kept so secretive, and chances are it's hard to comprehend without an understanding of Druid magic.

As for the focus, I'd say it could be a staff. It would be very thematic.