PDA

View Full Version : What use is there in using Heighten Spell?

SangoProduction
2016-01-05, 06:54 AM
Aside from some Early Entry tricks, obviously. Are save DC bonuses really good enough to not just take a higher level base spell?

Gnaeus
2016-01-05, 07:13 AM
It lets shadowcraft mages duplicate 9th level spells with their silent image.

SangoProduction
2016-01-05, 07:14 AM
It lets shadowcraft mages duplicate 9th level spells with their silent image.

Ah, that's a good point. But if you could already use a higher level spell slot, why not just use that instead of silent image? I mean, assuming a wizard, you have to prepare it at the appropriate spell level, so why silent image?

MisterKaws
2016-01-05, 07:22 AM
Ah, that's a good point. But if you could already use a higher level spell slot, why not just use that instead of silent image? I mean, assuming a wizard, you have to prepare it at the appropriate spell level, so why silent image?

Post-preparing metamagic cheese.

SangoProduction
2016-01-05, 07:24 AM
Post-preparing metamagic cheese.

How do you do that?

Darrin
2016-01-05, 07:42 AM
It's a good way to get around a globe of invulnerability (lesser or otherwise). Spell immunity, too. The tough part is knowing ahead of time that you'd need to get around such things. While divination is certainly a thing, getting such specific information would probably expend more resources than you'd wind up saving.

How do you do that?

Incantatrix can apply metamagic effects to an ongoing spell effect by making a Spellcraft check.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-01-05, 07:43 AM
Lets you cast a spell more times than you have daily slots for?

Necroticplague
2016-01-05, 08:38 AM

Because you might not know an illusions of the rights level. Silent Image may be your only figment. Simply Heightening it saves places in your spellbook (or if your a sorceror, precious spells known).

Also, some defensive effects block things based on spells level (spell turning, rod of absorption, globe of invulnerability, ect.), so Heighten can also punch through that more easily.

ericgrau
2016-01-05, 09:18 AM
Sorcerers mostly. The wizard should usually prepare a different spell if he has one. Sometimes he doesn't have one for what he needs, but usually there is something that is close enough and better. For a sorcerer he gets access to both the higher level spell and the heightened low level spell, so nothing lost. Metamagic in general is nice for sorcerers for this reason. Effectively more high level spells known. Whereas the wizard needs to give up one of his higher level prepared spells to prepare a metamagic spell in its place.

Heightened glitterdust is nice for example because it's an uncommon SR no, will SoL. So at high level there are times you may want to continue using it, even though in general other spells are better.

And you can use heighten for cheese tricks, of course.

Chronos
2016-01-05, 10:10 AM
Heightened glitterdust is nice for example because it's an uncommon SR no, will SoL.
And it's an area-effect, and it's not mind-effecting.

Âmesang
2016-01-05, 10:44 AM
While I try to avoid saving-throw spells altogether, I did use Heighten Spell for a long time to get more use out of low-level spells (especially during those levels when the character's only high-level spell was greater dispel magic).

When I learned more about the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® Campaign Setting, though, I was permitted to replace/retrain Heighten Spell for Pureblooded Suel. :smalltongue: I have a bad habit of taking style over substance/flavor over function. No more heightened continual flames!

turbo164
2016-01-05, 10:58 AM
iirc some Light/Darkness spells can be Heightened to dispel their counterparts.

Also, it lets you power Reserve feats without eating as many slots; a Sorc with Heighten and Scorching Ray can keep his Fiery Burst maxed without ever picking a second Fire spell (or Acid Splatter+Acid Orb, etc)

SangoProduction
2016-01-05, 11:14 AM
iirc some Light/Darkness spells can be Heightened to dispel their counterparts.

Also, it lets you power Reserve feats without eating as many slots; a Sorc with Heighten and Scorching Ray can keep his Fiery Burst maxed without ever picking a second Fire spell (or Acid Splatter+Acid Orb, etc)

That's a decent idea.

Deox
2016-01-05, 11:24 AM
Heighten Spell + Shadow Evocation Continual Flame on a Shadesteel Golem = Hasted + fast healing 9 is one I like using.

Gnaeus
2016-01-05, 02:34 PM
Because you might not know an illusions of the rights level. Silent Image may be your only figment. Simply Heightening it saves places in your spellbook (or if your a sorceror, precious spells known).

Yes, but that isn't all. The Shadowcraft Mage has Heighten Spell, Earth Spell, and Silent Image. Earth spell adds 1 level to your Heighten, as long as you are standing on the ground. So you cast your silent image, heightened to use a 9th level slot. Earth spell bumps that up to 10. Shadowcraft Illusion is then 120% effective and can duplicate 9th level evocations, so Shadow Miracle becomes a thing. I don't think you can do that without Heighten, at least not as easily.

Requiem_Jeer
2016-01-05, 04:30 PM
In summary, heighten's base effect is kind of meh, more situational then anything else. But there exists ways to improve it's utility, to make it a valuable part of a character's build.

ericgrau
2016-01-05, 05:04 PM
Another thing I do on my sorcerers is any time I take heighten spell I make sure I have the light cantrip. Now I can pierce any level of darkness with my cantrip without blowing a spell known on a pesky daylight. I do like the continual flame trick, especially since you can cast it days in advance so you don't actually lose your high level spell slot. EDIT: Weird this one doesn't actually work. I thought I remember the rule being different, maybe it was a long time ago.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-01-05, 05:50 PM
In summary, heighten's base effect is kind of meh, more situational then anything else. But there exists ways to improve it's utility, to make it a valuable part of a character's build.

Heighten's base ability still has its uses. Boosting save dc's in a pinch can be useful, although that is most the domain of spontaneous casters. It is the extra effects where it really shines though.

Requiem_Jeer
2016-01-05, 09:03 PM
That would be the definition of 'situationally useful', yes.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-06, 08:29 AM
Sorcerers mostly.Also other spontaneous casters... but yeah, Sorcerers, mostly. A good Will save-or-lose, a good Fort save-or-lose, a good Reflex save-or-lose, a good no save spell, heighten spell, and that covers most of the Sorc's combat actions. Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud (or Cloud of Bewilderment (Spell Compendium)), Web, and Solid Fog are pretty fair choices. The status effects they apply remain relevant all the way up to 20th in most games.

Jormengand
2016-01-06, 09:06 AM
Heighten Spell, PMM Heighten, EMM Heighten, Improved Counterspell. You're welcome.

SangoProduction
2016-01-06, 09:07 AM
Heighten Spell, PMM Heighten, EMM Heighten, Improved Counterspell. You're welcome.

*Needs explanation of the shortened words.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-06, 09:24 AM
Practical MetaMagic, Easy MetaMagic.

Jormengand
2016-01-06, 09:33 AM

They reduce the cost of heightening by 2. So long as you know at least 1 low-level spell from each school, you can counter any nonuniversal spell by spending a spell slot 1 level below the level of the spell you're trying to counter.