PDA

View Full Version : DM Help level 5 sorcerers spell list

yellowrocket
2016-01-05, 08:14 AM
I have 2 of them in the party I'm the dm for. I could change their spell list at any time and they'd just go along with it for the most part. Color spray won an encounter and the others use of enlarge person helped finish it off quickly.

I want to give them a list using the srd spells that makes each unique. I'm open to one having entangle for example. Also because they have 17 charisma I was going to give them bonus spells known at a +3 per level

Sorcerer O wants to do damage but also saw what a bfc spell can do. Had a few on her list that I first made her, but didn't make great use of them, but at least kind of gets the idea behind them. Maybe Summonings could be useful to her?

Sorcerer L wants to change things. Rock to mud type things later on. So transmutation is the obvious focus for her build. So maybe that and illusions?

The other parties are a generalist wizard and a paladin/fighter gestalt. So making them unique is a bit important as they're 9 and 8 respectively. I have 3 days to rewrite their lists if I see something better than what I have for them already.

ericgrau
2016-01-05, 09:39 AM
O: Web + flaming sphere + burning hands combo nicely. Magic missile is a so-so reliable backup if you can't think of something better. At higher level ditch burning hands + flaming sphere (keep web) and switch to the fireball + evard's black tentacles combo. Gather then nuke. Point blank shot + precise shot + an ok dex is a consideration for single target answers. Besides damage, [empowered] ray of enfeeblement is nice control.

L: Alter self. Pre-statting some forms for them is key due to her age. Natural armor for combat (e.g. troglodyte) plus some travel forms. A swim form (e.g., aquatic elf) and a climb form probably. A flight form too (Avian I think? I forget) if you optimize and use splatbooks. Also notify the player that she can use it to disguise herself like Mystique for roleplay, and don't bother with stats for those forms. The combat form means she also wants mage armor (cast ahead of time, not during fight) and a weapon, probably a reach weapon like a longspear to help protect others. Maybe false life too for the hp (also cast ahead of time). So it's kind of like a Collossus lockdown mode where she transforms, gets between the enemy and the other sorcerer or wizard, and protects. She can cast from this position and rely on her attack of opportunity + physical body to do the blocking. She may want the combat casting feat. She should have an ok strength. Would be good to have other combat spells, so maybe a different spell in place of false life, plus get silent image.

You might sneak L a couple extra spells per day to help her experiment more freely, otherwise she'll be at a disadvantage if she makes some mistakes and then runs out of spells per day. Or alter self scrolls are a less cheaty way. Tell her in very general terms what each form is for + Mystique mode + what each other spell is for. Give her time to play around with easy foes, NPCs or etc.

yellowrocket
2016-01-05, 10:43 PM
I don't know how I missed inflict moderate wounds 2d8 +1 per level for a minimum of 7 an average of 13 and a max of 21. Not bad numbers. A little munchkin maybe, but it fits her desire to deal damage. Just need to up her ac so she doesn't eat damage on the aoo trying to touch someone.

John Longarrow
2016-01-05, 11:07 PM
If you have complete mage, check out the reserve feats. They are almost designed for spontaneous casters. So long as you have an unused spell slot of your highest level it counts as any of the spells you can cast, since you could cast any with it. For L, I'd let her have fiery burst (taken at 3rd, even though she normally wouldn't qualify) along with Flame sphere. This will let her, at will, do 2d6 fire to anything within 30' as an Area affect. They do get a ref save. Really good as it affects a lot of things that would otherwise be fairly hard to deal with and gives her a practically unlimited attack.

Course you will have to sit her down and have her watch a clip from Monty Python and the Holy Grail... the party where they meet Tim.

yellowrocket
2016-01-05, 11:49 PM
Only 3.0 core 3 books so I'm not familiar with the reserve feats.