PDA

View Full Version : Optimization MAD Wizard

Hudsonian
2016-01-05, 04:41 PM
So on another thread someone asked about a character build and in coming up with all of the possible answers, and answers that weren't what he asked for, and just really random builds based off of those rabbit trails, I got fixated on a new concept. Here goes:

Standard Array
basic human
post racial @ lvl 1: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 9

The concept is a Wizard, dip Barbarian that can lay waste with his staff if the fight gets too close to home. I'm AFB so I am not sure what the pros/cons of starting Wiz or starting Barb would be. Starting Wiz with these stats would be one terrible level 1 session though.

But at level 5 (ASI str/int) he would be AC 15, 4th level spell caster and pretty nice damage in a melee if need be.

Also, he would be the crazy old professor that you didn't want to make angry or he would go crazy on you.

Which should I start, and which background do you think would fit?

gfishfunk
2016-01-05, 05:49 PM
If you want to go really wacky, do the Merchant / Guild background. He is not really knowledgeable, so scholar would not quite fit. He sounds more of a functionary wizard that a knowledgeable one.

That fits a tenured but not-very-good professor of magic that gets frustrated and then just starts beating people. A part of the scholar's guild, or the magician's guild or something.

ruy343
2016-01-05, 05:56 PM
Perhaps for more flavor (and combat prowess) you might consider switching out the wizard in the build with Cleric (Arcane) and explaining that your rage isn't just you losing your mind, but being so infused with arcane energy (presumably from your god), that you become stronger, tougher, and lose control of yourself for a bit.

Bear in mind that you can't cast spells or maintain concentration while raging, so being a wizard might not work out as well as a cleric would, hence my suggestion. Also, the cleric feels a bit more flavorful (at least, in my view).

Foxhound438
2016-01-05, 05:57 PM
why would you take the standard array??????

djreynolds
2016-01-06, 02:15 AM
why would you take the standard array??????

Unfortunately it is AL standard, this way you can quickly roll up a character for a game beforehand.

I play an armored abjurer, it is fun and I think you do not have to multiclass. You'll need 5 levels for an extra attack, if this what you want. Otherwise, your proficiency bonus to hit is the same. Quarterstaff is very good weapon now

RulesJD
2016-01-06, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately it is AL standard, this way you can quickly roll up a character for a game beforehand.

I play an armored abjurer, it is fun and I think you do not have to multiclass. You'll need 5 levels for an extra attack, if this what you want. Otherwise, your proficiency bonus to hit is the same. Quarterstaff is very good weapon now

AL is 27 pointbuy, not standard array. The standard array JUST SO HAPPENS to be 27 point buy. You can still modify your starting stats to be something else so long as you stay within the other rules (27, no stat about 15 prior to modifiers, nothing lower than 8, etc).

djreynolds
2016-01-06, 02:33 AM
AL is 27 pointbuy, not standard array. The standard array JUST SO HAPPENS to be 27 point buy. You can still modify your starting stats to be something else so long as you stay within the other rules (27, no stat about 15 prior to modifiers, nothing lower than 8, etc).

Yeah, same thing. I actually go 15/13/13/12/12/8 or 10/10. I find 2 15s pricey

Addaran
2016-01-06, 07:19 AM
With a normal human, you should really try to get as many odd stats as possible before racial modifier. Starting with 4 odd stats seems very un-optimized.

Joe the Rat
2016-01-06, 09:18 AM
Barbarian first would give you Con Save Proficiency, which is never a bad thing.

Personally, I'd still go Wizard 1 first. Take Sage, or Hermit, or Guild Artisan (Gamma Weapons Developer).

Be the Hulk. You know you want to.

Dalebert
2016-01-06, 10:43 AM
Barbarian first would give you Con Save Proficiency, which is never a bad thing.

Any time I play a caster, I'm always looking for ways to get con proficiency or some way to improve concentration checks, e.g. Warcaster, bladesong, etc. If you don't get it via multi-classing, then I usually put Resilient (con) on my list of feats I want, even though it may have to wait until 12th level. Seems like this is an excellent opportunity to grab it if you're already planning to MC barbarian (though I wouldn't. That's just me).

djreynolds
2016-01-07, 02:02 AM
At some point, IMO, every character, aside from Monk, looks to grab resilient con, or wisdom. My fighter grabbed resilient wisdom at 8. My wizard grabbed resilient con at 8.

I like the idea of grabbing barbarian at 1, for con saves and medium armor and a shield. And there is no reason you cannot go weaponless to maintain a free-hand.

But I like even better going fighter and getting heavy armor. Not getting hit helps out with concentration checks.