PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5 manipulative enchanter npc (help!)

Reprimand
2016-01-05, 06:14 PM
Trying to run a wizard specializing in enchantment banning evocation and necromancy.

I'm trying to make a caster npc that gets what she wants when she wants being a general social rival to the party.

Problem is I'm not a DM known for subtlety outside of skill monkeys I have little understanding of illusions enchantments and divination which I thought would be an interesting concept for a social rival.

I also have no idea where to start in terms of a social wizard other than basic staples like charm, suggestion, hold, dominate, images, and know even less about tactical use of divination.

If anyone could give a few example spells are your recommended uses for them it would be extremely helpful.

For the record this npc is NE she will do whatever she pleases as long as she knows she can get away with it and cares little for the rights of others.

Feats ideas, things for replacing social skills, spells lists would, or ideas for what sort of spells to use when or why would be great.

John Longarrow
2016-01-05, 10:27 PM
Bard-1 / Marshall-1 (motivate charisma)

You would have 5 ranks in diplomacy, synergy from bluff (maybe more), skill focus(diplomacy) for free, and double charisma to diplomacy for a starting bonus of about +14. Much more effective than trying to use enchantment spells for getting what you want out of people, also lasts longer. You can still use a lot of enchantment spells for those who you can't persuade.

Best part about using skills for this instead of magic compulsions is they can't be dispelled. Even better, as a Bard you should have access to a LOT of important people who can help make the parties lives living hell.

Now after the first couple levels I'd suggest switching to Beguiler for more powerful high end control spells plus continued interpersonal skills. This works out much nicer for social controller rather than a spell based dominator. Also gives you a much larger number of loyal friends and followers. For the real icing on the cake get up to 4th level in Bard before jumping to Beguiler. That way you can have both disguise self and alter self usable on the Bard side.

Special note: If the party doesn't have anyone good at gather info / diplomacy this build can become overwhelming for most parties. Lots of players are good at kicking in the doors and smashing the monsters. Few are really good at finding out who the right people are in a community and gaining their ear. If this villain can change form the players may never realize that Madam Rain is also Tammy the minstral/Edna the bakers daughter/Joan the wizards apprentice. They may never realize that it is one person working against them, and they may never understand just how broad their social net spreads.