PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Wish and Logical Material Components

Levism84
2016-01-05, 07:51 PM
I had a quick question in regards to the wish spell and its ability to duplicate other spells of 8th level and lower without the need to "meet any requirements in that spell, including costly components." When wish is used to duplicate a spell with an expensive material component that is a logical part of the spell, does the wish spell create the material component?

For example, say I used wish to duplicate Leomund's secret chest. Leomund's secret chest requires "an exquisite chest, 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet, constructed from rare materials worth at least 5,000 gp and a Tiny replica made from the same materials worth at least 50 gp." When I cast wish to duplicate Leomund's secret chest, does the magic of the wish spell create an "exquisite chest" and "Tiny replica" to be used for storage and retrieval? Is the chest and replica worth 5,000 gp and 50 gp, respectively, or are they considered worthless outside of their use for the spell? Could I use this chest and Tiny replica as the material component when casting Leomund's secret chest normally? Could I sell the chest and Tiny replica after I am done with them as a means to use the wish spell to make money?

As another example, say I used wish to duplicate clone. Clone requires "a diamond worth at least 1,000 gp and at least 1 cubic inch of flesh of the creature that is to be cloned, which the spell consumes, and a vessel worth at least 2,000 gp that has a sealable lid and is large enough to hold a Medium creature, such as a huge urn, coffin, mud-filled cyst in the ground, or crystal container filled with salt water." Diamond aside, would the wish spell create a vessel large enough to hold the clone (most likely a mud-filled cyst in the ground)? Would the vessel be considered worth 2,000 gp for the purposes of casting clone normally? Likewise, would the spell provide the 1 cubic inch of flesh of the creature to be cloned? If so, could I use wish to clone any creature I have ever met, so long as they are still alive? Could I use wish to clone a creature I have only heard about, so long as they are still alive?

I just wanted to know for clarification.

EvanescentHero
2016-01-05, 08:22 PM
I would rule that it creates the final product of the spell, yes. Casting Leomund's secret chest and not receiving the chest kind of defeats the purpose of using the spell.

SharkForce
2016-01-05, 09:31 PM
i'd say it casts the spell without the components, but doesn't give you the components.

to use your specific examples, a clone would grow without need of a container (possibly even growing while floating in air), and for leomund's secret chest you'd get some form of chest-shaped storage space and a temporary magical replica of it that would probably be something like the minor conjuration ability of the conjurer wizard, and which has no inherent monetary value (thanks to the wish spell, it doesn't need to).

if you want to create expensive material components out of thin air, that is beyond the scope of the "duplicate a spell" function of the wish. of course, you can still use wish to get lots of money... so long as you're willing to use the appropriate function of a wish spell.