PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What should I ask for a Familiar

deathbymanga
2016-01-05, 10:25 PM
So, my DM was just the best today. He held a solo session with me where I learned I'm the child of an Archfey who ruled the Frozen North and was killed by the BBEG. I'm now the new Queen and ruler of the Children of the North (i.e. the Yeti) and must embark on a crusade to defeat the BBEG to save the day.

So I now have 1 level in Fey Warlock, and I really want to go Chainlock, so I'm wondering, what would make for a good Familiar for this character. As this is a Warlock, the PHB says that DMs are allowed to be more creative in the Familiar choices (I think anyway, that's how I interpret it), so what would be a cool Familiar for the Queen of the Frozen North and Ruler of the Yeti be?

Addaran
2016-01-05, 10:45 PM
Ice Mephit! Or the sprite familliar fluffed as a mini ice devil.
A baby winter wolf would be very cute too.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-05, 10:54 PM
Can't go wrong with a pseudodragon. It's a pocket-sized dragon, what's not to love? Plus it doesn't speak, so no snarkiness! Snarky familiars can be a pain.

deathbymanga
2016-01-05, 10:55 PM
Ice Mephit! Or the sprite familliar fluffed as a mini ice devil.
A baby winter wolf would be very cute too.

I was thinking maybe a "Blink Moose". an Elk with a bigger damage die for the Antlers and the Blink Dog teleport power, but might be a bit much.

Ice Mephit seems like a very interesting idea that I hadn't thought of yet

MaxWilson
2016-01-05, 11:00 PM
So I now have 1 level in Fey Warlock, and I really want to go Chainlock, so I'm wondering, what would make for a good Familiar for this character. As this is a Warlock, the PHB says that DMs are allowed to be more creative in the Familiar choices (I think anyway, that's how I interpret it), so what would be a cool Familiar for the Queen of the Frozen North and Ruler of the Yeti be?

How about a miniature shoggoth?

deathbymanga
2016-01-05, 11:14 PM
How about a miniature shoggoth?

I don't think Shoggoth were introduced to 5e, but how in the world would a Shoggoth fit as a Fey Familiar? Maybe as an Old One, but not a Fey

MaxWilson
2016-01-05, 11:34 PM
I don't think Shoggoth were introduced to 5e, but how in the world would a Shoggoth fit as a Fey Familiar? Maybe as an Old One, but not a Fey

I'm thinking more about the arctic association than the fey association, really.

Inevitability
2016-01-06, 01:22 AM
Sprite without heart sight and invisibility, but with a few ice-themed spells?

DiceDiceBaby
2016-01-06, 03:04 AM
First off, congratulations on finishing a solo quest with your DM! Those can be quite fun. :smallbiggrin:

Second, have you considered a baby polar bear? If you're into mythology, you might want to go for a Fylgja (roughly pronounced Fil-kha) which takes on this form. The idea is from a card in Magic: The Gathering, whose concept might interest you.

Lifted from Wikipedia (which was requoted by another user into a comment on Gathererer for the MtG card "Ursine Fylgja"): In Norse mythology, a fylgja (Old Norse, literally "someone that accompanies") is a supernatural being or creature which accompanies a person in connection to their fate or fortune. Fylgjur (that would be the plural) usually appear in the form of an animal.

Easily fluffable into a baby polar bear familiar (or any other arctic creature; I prefer penguins myself), and fits the description of what you need. Hope this helps. :smallcool: