PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Darkwood OoC

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 12:50 AM
Player
Sheet/Character
Race/Class

Mornings
Adessa Allessa (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=668927)
Catfolk Oracle/Witch/(Bard? Skald?)

Syekate
Horace Belkington (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=669085)
Halfling Paladin

DaOldeWolf
Ragnor Ignislash (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=669687)
Half-Orc Spirit Guide Oracle

Hampsterpig
Tareen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=669476)
Human Barbarian

Prince Zahn
...Who was she, again?
...And what did she do?

Estralita
Elsbeth (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=669749)
Human Magus

Falcon777
Cadeyrn Erskine (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=670403)
Human Sorcerer

Alright, it's an OoC thread! Call a color, talk about things, I'll have an IC post up soon.

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-06, 12:57 AM
I would like to take Dark Orange if possible.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 01:13 AM
. . . (#808080) someone just called gray. You guys are okay with it, right? I hope (O. O) . . .

Estralita
2016-01-06, 01:56 AM
Starting?! Already? I really need to get this backstory posted then! The Accursed Backstory! Also, I altered Elsbeth's skill points to reflect her personality better and swapped out an Arcana. Also, should I officially drop Magical Lineage for something else?

If there's one thing to be said about Elsbeth, it was that she was very open to trying new things. Sticking with them was her main problem, although she never thought of it that way.

As a girl, Elsbeth was born lucky. Well off, moderately pretty, and no real responsibilities. Elsbeth had a lot of time to explore almost any activity that took her fancy. Only child of wealthy politicians Elsbeth was allowed to indulge her fancies. Some things she gave up quickly, like riding, others she stuck with for years, like dancing. But all eventually paled. Part of Elsbeth's problem was that she just didn't have the patience to really improve her skills. Eventually, a hobby would get too hard, and Elsbeth would find something else that was fresh and easy. And since she was only 20 and had her family's wealth, she had plenty of time to figure things out, right?

At least until she went poking through her great grandfather's old adventuring equipment. He was the one who made her family fortune through hard work as a guard and an adventurer, developing a new specialized style of blending magic and swordfighting. Maybe his spirit didn't appreciate her living so carelessly on his fortune. Maybe the sword she began trying to train with to emulate his style had an ironic punishment curse on it. What every happened, when Elsbeth eventually got board with the training, she couldn't. Every time she tried to quit, she'd get headaches, and terrible dreams about death and destruction. Finally, she pieced it all together. Like it or not, the curse was going to force her to finish something she started.

Every since then, Elsbeth's found her luck has run out. She's been subject to more curses over the course of her attempts to adventure, including a nasty brand on her right hand that she tries to keep covered up, but keeps getting revealed at inopportune times. This whole situation has made her hardened, and less carefree than before, although she retains her curiosity, and tries to keep her spirits up. Everntually she'll get through all this. Especially now that she's working with others in similar situations towards a common goal. Right?

Mornings
2016-01-06, 02:35 AM
Adessa will be speaking in Teal
Lets do dis :smallamused:

I just need to set home girl's cantrips and whatever, well, and her skald spells, but it looks like we got some time

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 03:56 AM
Since I did say 2-3 days less than that ago, and it seems a few people might need a tad more time, IC will be up tomorrow (8-14 hours from now I guess). Maybe I should have said Soon (tm) :smalltongue:

Falcon777
2016-01-06, 05:51 AM
Well, will you look at that? I managed to get into a game! :smallbiggrin:

I call this one! Woot woot!

Edit, i just noticed, this thread is in the ic thread heading...thingamajig. Don't know if that's important or not.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 06:01 AM
@DM Might I suggest adding to the chart the colors everybody picked?

Hampsterpig
2016-01-06, 06:32 AM
Alright, I think I'll take dark green since no one's grabbed that yet.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 07:25 AM
Oh, so everyone's in? Okie dokey :smallcool:

Yep! 5 out of all 6 of us are here, too.:smallamused: Did Syekate get the memo? :smallconfused:

Mornings
2016-01-06, 09:50 AM
Yep! 5 out of all 6 of us are here, too.:smallamused: Did Syekate get the memo? :smallconfused:

Hey might have missed it lol.

Oh, and.. do we all already know each other IC? Not sure what's the intended starting point or if we're together.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 09:59 AM
Hey might have missed it lol.

Oh, and.. do we all already know each other IC? Not sure what's the intended starting point or if we're together.

That's up to the DM methinks. However in my not-entirely quite unbiased opinion, I would prefer it if you already knew each other. Maybe you even knew me, back when it mattered, either way you don't know who she is, but it could add to my own IC motivations. . . :smallsmile:

Mornings
2016-01-06, 10:06 AM
That's up to the DM methinks. However in my not-entirely quite unbiased opinion, I would prefer it if you already knew each other. Maybe you even knew me, back when it mattered, either way you don't know who she is, but it could add to my own IC motivations. . . :smallsmile:

Lol, yeah. Though that was more just a general question if that had been decided already. I guess not.

Syekate
2016-01-06, 10:09 AM

No worries, Syekate is here. Sleeping was all. Horace will speak in a royal purple whilst Roxanne will bleat violet.

And yeah, the OOC thread should really be in the OOC category, rather than IC. I'd recommend either starting a new one in OOC or asking a mod politely to shift this one over.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 10:34 AM
No worries, Syekate is here. Sleeping was all. Horace will speak in a royal purple whilst Roxanne will bleat violet.

And yeah, the OOC thread should really be in the OOC category, rather than IC. I'd recommend either starting a new one in OOC or asking a mod politely to shift this one over.

Fantastic! Then everyone is here!
I reported the error and asked a mod to place our discussion thread where it belongs, hopefully they'll get to it when they can:smallsmile:

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 01:08 PM
Oops, I did switch this and OoC, didn't I.... :smalleek:

I'll update soon.

IC up: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474199-PF-The-Darkwood-IC&p=20266657#post20266657

Mornings
2016-01-06, 02:15 PM
Hm nifty. We're all already gathered. That works too.
Won't be able to post til after work, but i'll have something down in like... four or five hours when I'm out.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 02:31 PM
IC up: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474199-PF-The-Darkwood-IC&p=20266657#post20266657
:smalleek: that took me by surprise!

Hm nifty. We're all already gathered. That works too.
Won't be able to post til after work, but i'll have something down in like... four or five hours when I'm out.
I'll be asleep in less than 4 hours. Don't go too far now O. O
Man, timezones are hard....

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-06, 02:33 PM
Before posting, I must ask. Does any character want to know each other? I would prefer to have this arranged before posting. Since this was left open by the dm, what would each of you prefer?

Mornings
2016-01-06, 02:39 PM
Before posting, I must ask. Does any character want to know each other? I would prefer to have this arranged before posting. Since this was left open by the dm, what would each of you prefer?

If your character is cursed in some manner, or just generally not one of the happy-go-lucky citizens... then could link up with my PC

Estralita
2016-01-06, 02:42 PM
Elsbeth is cursed a couple times over. Her main one is that she must master her Magus abilities and work as an adventurer, and cannot quit.

Syekate
2016-01-06, 02:48 PM

My character would be the type to valiantly gather a courageous group of ragtag heroes. Perhaps he put up a call around town in his inconspicuous way that adventurers were wanted to help him slay the fell evil within the forest.

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-06, 02:59 PM
I suppose I should have added mine when I made my suggestion. :smallredface:

So, about mine, he is cursed (deaf) and half-orc. He has lust for two things, combat and knowledge. He satisfies the first by exploring and doing mercenary work. He frequents libraries for the second. People used to doing either would have at the very least met him once.

It would be nice if my character knew at least a couple of characters.

EDIT: Elsbeth and Horace both sound like people Ragnor spent time doing quests.

Syekate
2016-01-06, 03:16 PM
I suppose I should have added mine when I made my suggestion. :smallredface:

So, about mine, he is cursed (deaf) and half-orc. He has lust for two things, combat and knowledge. He satisfies the first by exploring and doing mercenary work. He frequents libraries for the second. People used to doing either would have at the very least met him once.

It would be nice if my character knew at least a couple of characters.

EDIT: Elsbeth and Horace both sound like people Ragnor spent time doing quests.

We can connect on reading as well. Horace is sort of Don Quixote-esque; always reading fantastical tails of bravery and trying to apply them to his own life. Also, I'm going to play Horace as blissfully unaware of anyone's 'cursed' status for the time being.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 03:22 PM
If we're doing an introductory scene, and I can't decide who I wanna partner up with OOC, (it's not the same when inter-character relationship is a one way Street!) I'll roll to see if I might know any of you beforehand, this won't matter to you but I might do so and send to R2 the results, I'll let you know and we might collaborate from there for my relations with your character if you are interested. :smallsmile:, unless somebody in particular wants to volunteer and work on memories your character doesn't have, or if, of course, anybody objects to being selected in which case you don't have to. Nobody's pointing a bow and arrow to your head.

1d6 people will be selected, from 1d6 choices. Doubles rerolled.

1d6
party member

Adessa

Cadeyrn

Elsbeth

Horace

Ragnor

Tareen

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 03:28 PM
Sorry for the double post,
*rolls a 6 on number of people*
Okay, this is awkward. . . Does anybody actually OBJECT to my girl knowing who you are? :smalltongue::smallredface: if not then I ought to figure out how I know each of you.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-06, 03:30 PM
Tareen has been helping people find their way through the forest for the last few years (3 shall we say?). She also does hunting and brings in the occasional piece of game to sell.
- Syekate: How recently did Horace arrive in town? Tareen may have been the one to show him the way to town. For a bit of humor, maybe she greeted him at arrow point instead of talking? Armored halfling on a strange goat-thing riding towards the town would probably make her think invader rather then rightous visitor.
- DaOldeWolf: Up to you. Can't really think of any reason.
- Estralia: Traveling through the forest, attempting to find some semblance of a trail through, Elsbeth was found by Tareen and shown the way, sound good?

EDIT: No objections Zahn.

Syekate
2016-01-06, 03:48 PM
- Syekate: How recently did Horace arrive in town? Tareen may have been the one to show him the way to town. For a bit of humor, maybe she greeted him at arrow point instead of talking? Armored halfling on a strange goat-thing riding towards the town would probably make her think invader rather then rightous visitor.

Haha, works for me! Horace probably showed up relatively recently, i.e. within the last week or month. And I have no issues with him being some how connected to... that person, what'shername.

Also, put up an IC post, ready and raring to get some adventure on!

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 03:56 PM
I figured I'd leave it up to you guys - Most who live in the outcast colonies should at least know of eachother, to any degree you'd like.

Mornings
2016-01-06, 04:11 PM
Sorry for the double post,
*rolls a 6 on number of people*
Okay, this is awkward. . . Does anybody actually OBJECT to my girl knowing who you are? :smalltongue::smallredface: if not then I ought to figure out how I know each of you.

Depends if whats-her-face is actually from the local area I suppose. If so, then I'd be crossed off from the table. Adessa was made feral for more eventful bits of her past due to her devouring curse of hunger. Her time after that was wandering in foreign lands burying the bodies of the dead - and formerly cursed.

As for everyone else. It doesn't sound like she would know anyone here, having arrived...basically right now, and never having traveled these lands before. Possibly, of those cursed, she might have met one or two within the last few hours.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-06, 04:19 PM
Threw up an IC post. Tareen is ready to go!

Prince Zahn
2016-01-06, 04:47 PM
Depends if whats-her-face is actually from the local area I suppose. If so, then I'd be crossed off from the table. Adessa was made feral for more eventful bits of her past due to her devouring curse of hunger. Her time after that was wandering in foreign lands burying the bodies of the dead - and formerly cursed.

As for everyone else. It doesn't sound like she would know anyone here, having arrived...basically right now, and never having traveled these lands before. Possibly, of those cursed, she might have met one or two within the last few hours.
Hmm. . . well I don't know about being Ardonian, but perhaps you are right, though whats-her-face did travel a bit to little avail. She did return, however.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-06, 05:39 PM
whom she stalked
:smalleek: gulp :smalleek:

Mornings
2016-01-06, 08:50 PM
Hmm. . . well I don't know about being Ardonian, but perhaps you are right, though whats-her-face did travel a bit to little avail. She did return, however.

Yup. It's decided then. That girl, is not real. A ghost or a specter maybe - best ignore things like that (this is the part where Adessa would nod approvingly :smallwink: ) lol

Hampsterpig
2016-01-06, 08:56 PM
Yup. It's decided then. That girl, is not real. A ghost or a specter maybe - best ignore things like that (this is the part where Adessa would nod approvingly :smallwink: ) lol

So Tareen is being stalked by a ghost? How is this a good thing to ignore?

Mornings
2016-01-06, 08:59 PM

Well, it's just like finding a haunt that locks doors. You could go through all the work to uncover why there is a haunt. Oooooor. You could just ignore it and leave, let it be someone else's problem ;3 lol.

But you've missed the intention. That's my IC explanation. Feel free to invent your own lol

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 08:59 PM

It happens in Ardonia :smalltongue: you learn to live with it, I guess.

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-06, 11:11 PM

I would put that in the "Stranger things have happened" section. :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 12:34 AM
:smalleek: gulp :smalleek:

Like others said, you get used to it :smalltongue: you hardly ever noticed that anyone was there. I don't know about being a ghost, either, I relate myself better to The Silence from Doctor Who, if that makes you feel any safer. :smallamused:

Mornings
2016-01-07, 03:07 AM
Looks like everyone posted their intro and what not lol.
Adventure time? :smallwink:

r2d2go
2016-01-07, 03:10 AM
I'll wait till tomorrow, see if people want to banter or iron out relations better, then we'll see about moving forward.

In the mean time... Marching order?

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 03:12 AM
I'll wait till tomorrow, see if people want to banter or iron out relations better, then we'll see about moving forward.

Just so there's no confusion on my part, when you say tomorrow, you mean another 5-6 hours or another 8-10?

Mornings
2016-01-07, 03:13 AM

Well, Adessa is keeping a considerable distance between herself and the group to observe them... so she'd be, at least 40 ft behind the last person.

r2d2go
2016-01-07, 03:20 AM
Just so there's no confusion on my part, when you say tomorrow, you mean another 5-6 hours or another 8-10?

I mean, uh, 8-24? Ranging from when I wake up, to whene I go to sleep again, whenever people are ready.

Mornings
2016-01-07, 03:22 AM
I mean, uh, 8-24? Ranging from when I wake up, to whene I go to sleep again, whenever people are ready.

So basically, however long it takes between now and whenever you go to sleep again for everyone to post marching order lol. Gotcha :smallwink:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 03:32 AM
Well, Adessa is keeping a considerable distance between herself and the group to observe them... so she'd be, at least 40 ft behind the last person.
Jane Doe is kind of scared of you anyway, she would either latch to somebody in the middle, or just hide from everybody. I doubt you'll notice her, even.

@time: 8-24 doesn't say much to me. I would appreciate if we tried to be somewhat consistent, otherwise I can't keep up. :smalleek:o

Mornings
2016-01-07, 03:38 AM
Jane Doe is kind of scared of you anyway, she would either latch to somebody in the middle, or just hide from everybody. I doubt you'll notice her, even.

@time: I would appreciate if we tried to be somewhat consistent, otherwise I can't keep up. :smalleek:o

Luls, well she's trying to act scary right now, at least til she gives in to the desire to pet the sheep haha. Gotta look the part right? After all, she's got the intimidate bonus to back it up :smallamused:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 04:48 AM
Luls, well she's trying to act scary right now, at least til she gives in to the desire to pet the sheep haha. Gotta look the part right? After all, she's got the intimidate bonus to back it up :smallamused:

It's working for you, then :smalleek::smalltongue: at least on Lady Anonymous. (we need to decide on a pseudonym OOC because I'm grasping at straws)
We'll have to see what goes on with that bridge. A lot of it depends on Adessa, I'm afraid, Jane Doe is generally a reactive character.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-07, 06:38 AM
Like others said, you get used to it :smalltongue: you hardly ever noticed that anyone was there. I don't know about being a ghost, either, I relate myself better to The Silence from Doctor Who, if that makes you feel any safer. :smallamused:

The Silence could shoot peopl lightning from their fingertips and then suck the remainder of them into their non-existent mouths. How is that supposed to make me feel safer? :smallannoyed:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 06:45 AM
The Silence could shoot people with lightning from their fingertips and then suck the remainder of them into their non-existent mouths. How is that supposed to make me feel safer? :smallannoyed:
Because I'm nice enough to set my finger lightning to stun? That's gotta be better than what a ghost would do :smallwink:

Naw, seriously. Don't worry about her, She's docile. :smalltongue:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-07, 07:10 AM
Because I'm nice enough to set my finger lightning to stun? That's gotta be better than what a ghost would do :smallwink:

Naw, seriously. Don't worry about her, She's docile. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I got that, I'm just poking fun.:smallbiggrin:

For marching order, Tareen will probably be in front, her bow in hand.

Syekate
2016-01-07, 08:52 AM
I don't know about being a ghost, either, I relate myself better to The Silence from Doctor Who, if that makes you feel any safer. :smallamused:

No, it most certainly does not.

Horace will want to be towards the front, leading the group to glory, but he's at least intelligent enough to recognize that a skilled tracker/survivalist/someone with experience in the forest should go first. So I would vote Tareen followed by Horace. With Adessa in last, anyone else have positional preferences?

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 09:09 AM
No, it most certainly does not.
anyone else have positional preferences?

I think Jaen Doe would stick close (adjacent, not behind) to Elsbeth in whichever position, wherever Estra wants that to be. (weird not using Doe's real name because I talk about her a lot) O. O

Estralita
2016-01-07, 12:41 PM
Elsbeth's not a tracker, and she's got range if the group needs it. I think towards the back is a good position.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 12:43 PM
Elsbeth's not a tracker, and she's got range if the group needs it. I think towards the back is a good position.

You don't mind us sharing a spot in the marching order do ya? :smallsmile:

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-07, 12:51 PM
Ragnor shouldn't be the last. It would leave us open to someone attacking from behind. With a perception and an initiative penalty, he also doesn't make the best character to be on the front. Second or third on the front or second or third on the back would be more appropriate.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 12:57 PM
Jaen Doe has good perception and I'd imagine decent initiative I think, If one of the strong people share a spot with her in the rear (but before and away from Adessa) she can help keep in eye in case of an ambush or something.

Estralita
2016-01-07, 01:33 PM
Sure, Elsbeth doesn't mind a buddy.

Mornings
2016-01-07, 01:40 PM
Jaen Doe has good perception and I'd imagine decent initiative I think, If one of the strong people share a spot with her in the rear (but before and away from Adessa) she can help keep in eye in case of an ambush or something.

Adessa doesn't really have great initiative, but doesn't really need it. She'll just chill from a distance buffing... oh, and of course bending the fabrics of destiny for every thing and everyone, in the form of a flood of endless rerolls. CC powers at its finest. :smallamused:

r2d2go
2016-01-07, 06:31 PM
So... Tareen in the front, Horace second, Ragnor in the middle, Elsbeth and _____ in the back, Adessa 30-40 feet behind... Missing falcon, but I'll have you guys continue in an hour or two probably.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-07, 06:32 PM
So... Tareen in the front, Horace second, Ragnor in the middle, Elsbeth and _____ in the back, Adessa 30-40 feet behind... Missing falcon, but I'll have you guys continue in an hour or two probably.
I think so, though I've taken a liking to the pseudonym Jaen Doe.

Falcon777
2016-01-07, 08:10 PM
Thus new third shift job is killing me. I'll get a post up ic tomorrow. Cadeyrn basically ready for marching orders.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-07, 08:11 PM
Okay Morning, just to be clear, Adessa's shadow can move on it's own? I'm not sure that is going to go exactly as Adessa hopes it will.

r2d2go
2016-01-07, 08:13 PM
I think so, though I've taken a liking to the pseudonym Jaen Doe.

Alright, I'll start using that then.

I'll be back home in about 30 minutes, at which point I'll post to send people into the forest.

Thus new third shift job is killing me. I'll get a post up ic tomorrow. Cadeyrn basically ready for marching orders.

So... Second from the back, where you're protected but away? How's that sound to people?

Mornings
2016-01-07, 08:21 PM
Okay Morning, just to be clear, Adessa's shadow can move on it's own? I'm not sure that is going to go exactly as Adessa hopes it will.

Lol. Indeed, she has an otherwise cursed/monstrous shadow with umbral unmasking.

She's not hoping for anything. She's not trying to be anyone's friend, just observe them.

Falcon777
2016-01-07, 08:31 PM
That position sounds fine to me.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-07, 08:46 PM
I'm going to roll a will save vs. WTF for Tareen.
[roll0]

Mornings
2016-01-07, 08:52 PM
I'm going to roll a will save vs. WTF for Tareen.
[roll0]

Well, if it was DC16... good save.

Mornings
2016-01-07, 09:00 PM
Well, I'm smelling will saves for everyone > . > *cough*
if it's a charm or compulsion effect, lemme know. Got something for that :smallwink:
Or, if failed... Got something for that too :smallcool:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-07, 09:28 PM
Well I guess I really should learn to not try to post while watching tv. I'll edit in Tareen's post for while their walk before bed.

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 12:13 AM
I should say, sorry for making the first interaction one that waits for a particular person to post - the rolls kind of mandated it. Things should pick up pretty much right away though :smalltongue:

Mornings
2016-01-08, 02:55 AM
Elsbeth saw things first.. so, buffs for you~ i guess lol

Syekate
2016-01-08, 10:16 AM
A little Diplomacy check before I post IC: [roll0]

Mornings
2016-01-08, 10:27 AM
A little Diplomacy check before I post IC: [roll0]

Lolo, nice roll

Syekate
2016-01-08, 10:28 AM
Lolo, nice roll

Horace is a people person. :smallbiggrin:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-08, 10:42 AM
I have can't decided whether laugh or cry at Horace. "New friend indeed."

Mornings
2016-01-08, 10:58 AM
Oh, and for clarification. Oratory bardic performance isn't singing, usually. (Perform Sing is sing lol)

It's just storytelling, in most cases. Could be telling a story about a bridge xD. Though the more 'traditional' bard's might sing while telling the story lol. In this case though, just storytelling :smallwink:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-08, 11:11 AM
This (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-f3tinZJ6U) is the atmosphere I've been getting so far from our adventure, pardon me if you disagree but I'll just be giggling in the corner while Horace does his thing.:smalltongue:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-08, 11:22 AM
Oh, and for clarification. Oratory bardic performance isn't singing, usually. (Perform Sing is sing lol)

It's just storytelling, in most cases. Could be telling a story about a bridge xD. Though the more 'traditional' bard's might sing while telling the story lol. In this case though, just storytelling :smallwink:

Tareen isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed with her intelligence of 9. Magic is magic. She knows there are different methods of casting, but she doesn't really bother with the difference and is suspicious of all it's practitioners.

Syekate
2016-01-08, 12:20 PM
I have can't decided whether laugh or cry at Horace. "New friend indeed."

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bth.gif

Prince Zahn
2016-01-08, 12:49 PM
@DM
May I roll sense motive?

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 01:48 PM
@DM
May I roll sense motive?

Go for it.

Also, I should ask everyone: Shall I make all reactive rolls (spot, sense motive, saves, initiative, etc)?

Prince Zahn
2016-01-08, 02:09 PM
Go for it.

Also, I should ask everyone: Shall I make all reactive rolls (spot, sense motive, saves, initiative, etc)?
As far as I am concerned?
Yes, yes, no, depends if it saves time, depends what you mean by etc.
My preference when I DM, personally, is I make secret rolls as I see fit, but allow my players to initiate any possible roll on their character sheets if they choose to, and if it makes sense.

Mornings
2016-01-08, 02:15 PM
Go for it.

Hm. I'd prefer to roll my own for this character being that she's completely focused on 'altering destiny', aka forcing rerolls for everything under the sun.

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 02:51 PM
Hm. I may do Initiative anyway, as it just saves a lot of time. Otherwise, I'll count on people (who say they'd like to) to roll any checks they'd like to make.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-08, 03:01 PM
Hm. I may do Initiative anyway, as it just saves a lot of time. Otherwise, I'll count on people (who say they'd like to) to roll any checks they'd like to make.

Some checks are better done secret, like whether an elf discovers a secret door s/he walks past (if you ask the player to make the spot check s/he'll naturally suspect something is there if s/he fails) A good rule of thumb is that if merely asking the player for the roll would reveal the DM's plans / intentions, or if a player is not supposed to know if s/he fails the check, you ought to roll it without telling said player. I'd imagine if our friend wishes to reroll a hidden check with fatespinning witchcraft, it would be simple to either explicitly reserve rerolls for hidden checks, or offer a simple circumstance bonus in it's stead.

Syekate
2016-01-08, 03:14 PM
Question: Is 10 miles northwest 'our own damn camp' referring to Ardonia where we just came from, or a potential other group of individuals?

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 04:30 PM
Question: Is 10 miles northwest 'our own damn camp' referring to Ardonia where we just came from, or a potential other group of individuals?

It's definitely not Ardonia - you're currently maybe a dozen miles due north from where you started.

Mornings
2016-01-08, 04:38 PM
Some checks are better done secret, like whether an elf discovers a secret door s/he walks past (if you ask the player to make the spot check s/he'll naturally suspect something is there if s/he fails) A good rule of thumb is that if merely asking the player for the roll would reveal the DM's plans / intentions, or if a player is not supposed to know if s/he fails the check, you ought to roll it without telling said player. I'd imagine if our friend wishes to reroll a hidden check with fatespinning witchcraft, it would be simple to either explicitly reserve rerolls for hidden checks, or offer a simple circumstance bonus in it's stead.

In some cases, that might be applicable, Such as examples where the reroll must be decided before the GM resolves said action - however even in that case, if there is a possible option to change or otherwise negate a result before it is resolved, then that new result takes precedence. The player doesn't need to know if the roll was a success, a failure, or even what it was for if the ability in question is an IC action. Such as taking an immediate action to force a reroll. This would be very easily handled OOC as: (Random check - does it stick - yes\no - resolve action.)

However, for non-actions, and such effects which only proceed upon failure, or under explicit conditions. Such as failing a Reflex Save. Failing a Will Save Vs Charm/Compulsion Effects (every enchantment school spell, ever) - which are very common in a great deal of traits. These rolls equate to nothing IC, and obviously you'd know what the check was for, and the result if your explicit-condition effect is being used. IC, there's is no time used, no action taken. The previous resolution is simply negated, and a new resolution provided. These are meta rolls. Rerolls are =/= to a circumstance bonus, and are intended to be used as written. If the GM so desired to keep his occasional secret-rolls, secret from the group, that is easily managed with a simple private message and un-labeled reroll - no secrets spoiled.

Ah, and I should note Adessa does possess all of the aforementioned being focused on misfortune and whatnot (aka rerolling things) - usually for support. But just as effective for defense.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-08, 05:52 PM
In some cases, that might be applicable, Such as examples where the reroll must be decided before the GM resolves said action - however even in that case, if there is a possible option to change or otherwise negate a result before it is resolved, then that new result takes precedence. The player doesn't need to know if the roll was a success, a failure, or even what it was for if the ability in question is an IC action. Such as taking an immediate action to force a reroll. This would be very easily handled OOC as: (Random check - does it stick - yes\no - resolve action.)

However, for non-actions, and such effects which only proceed upon failure, or under explicit conditions. Such as failing a Reflex Save. Failing a Will Save Vs Charm/Compulsion Effects (every enchantment school spell, ever) - which are very common in a great deal of traits. These rolls equate to nothing IC, and obviously you'd know what the check was for, and the result if your explicit-condition effect is being used. IC, there's is no time used, no action taken. The previous resolution is simply negated, and a new resolution provided. These are meta rolls. Rerolls are =/= to a circumstance bonus, and are intended to be used as written. If the GM so desired to keep his occasional secret-rolls, secret from the group, that is easily managed with a simple private message and un-labeled reroll - no secrets spoiled.

Ah, and I should note Adessa does possess all of the aforementioned being focused on misfortune and whatnot (aka rerolling things) - usually for support. But just as effective for defense.there is little I can say without actually understanding your most particular situation. Have you a link to your this rerolling stuff, by any chance, so I may see what RAW might say about it?

If a bonus is fair and agreed upon, (and can be untyped) it can be a very fair compromise instead of rerolls that the player is not supposed to be aware of in the first place.

If I understand, The issue with the default option is that you want the right to choose to use an ability at your disposal, which may or may not have limited application (again I didn't read the terms of your curse, sorry.) to reroll rolls that if you knew about them OOC could break suspension of disbelief, at least for you, if not for the rest of the group, correct?

My question with that is how can you take an immediate action to do something you aren't aware of neither IC nor OOC? if the DM wants to do something without players knowing about or expecting it, I'd think it's his administrative right.
I don't know the details of your misfortune, but depending on the rules, it would make sense for the DM to decide whether to force the reroll in your stead, but that assumes you can trust your DM not to abuse that power.

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 06:06 PM
I think we're going to have to go with some manner of retcon if a luck bonus is not sufficiently "manipulative of fate". It's simply too cumbersome to stop the game until that roll is approved, so the assumption would be you do not reroll, the results posted, then changed if a reroll changes a things. Yes, this is more powerful as you know if you succeeded beforehand, and yes, it does mean people may act with incorrect assumptions, but I'd like to limit dependence on individual response as much as possible. If it's a complex effect like Dominate Person or the like, I will make that judgement and note that I am waiting. But, for simple things like reflex vs damage, we can continue without knowing if you took 12 damage instead of 25.

On that note, what are everyone else's preferences for:
Saves
Perception
Sense Motive
Initiative
Opposed checks initiated upon you
Attacks of Opportunity
Immediate Actions

Falcon777
2016-01-08, 06:22 PM
I am ok with any passive rolls being done by you, r2s2go, but only if it's not too much trouble for you.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-08, 06:38 PM
I think we're going to have to go with some manner of retcon if a luck bonus is not sufficiently "manipulative of fate". It's simply too cumbersome to stop the game until that roll is approved, so the assumption would be you do not reroll, the results posted, then changed if a reroll changes a things. Yes, this is more powerful as you know if you succeeded beforehand, and yes, it does mean people may act with incorrect assumptions, but I'd like to limit dependence on individual response as much as possible. If it's a complex effect like Dominate Person or the like, I will make that judgement and note that I am waiting. But, for simple things like reflex vs damage, we can continue without knowing if you took 12 damage instead of 25.
As you wish, sir.

[/QUOTE] On that note, what are everyone else's preferences for:
Saves
Perception
Sense Motive
Initiative
Attacks of Opportunity
Immediate Actions[/QUOTE]
@Saves:I'd like to know when I'm rolling one, exceptions exist (I don't have to know about the will save to disbelieve an illusion). Also: enchantment (charm) effects generally aren't reliable against PCs and should be avoided because of it. If the question is the enemy's saving throws, then it matters not to me.
@Perception, Sense Motive: Secret if you initiate it, but I would like to roll if I ask for one. If I in particular initiate, I'll be rolling my dice elsewhere and link you to it, though. The point is for my chatacter to be unknown, I want that to be valid towards the players as well.
@Initiative: Standard initiative is not good in a PbP. it could kill your momentum and grinds your adventure to a halt. Find another way to go about this where we are not dependent on a single person to make his turn.
@Opposed rolls: I think 5th edition Phrased it best (under contests) - two targets make their skill checks, best roll wins, in the event of a tie, nothing happens, which may count as a victory for one of the sides depending on the context.
AOO:I'd like to know if I'm doing something that threatens it, I don't think an attack of opportunity is what EVERY creature will realistically do if somebody leaves their threatened space, but that's more opinion than demanding. What exactly is debatable here?
@Immediate actions: go by raw, but it makes a lot of sense to me that you got to know to do something with an immediate action you ought to be aware of it at least IC, Assuming it's something beyond the PCs control, like a curse, it's okay if you do it OOC, it doesn't make sense to me that you can take actions of any kind on things that you never knew about to begin with, nor were supposed to know if you don't succeed on the check. This includes the presence of the check.

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-08, 06:38 PM
I am fine with you taking care of the passive rolls, r2d2go. (If you want to make them.)

Hampsterpig
2016-01-08, 07:36 PM
RNG rarely works for me and only under certain circumstances (much like my IRL dice) so I'm fine with letting our DM take over passive rolls.

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 08:03 PM
Those who are good with DM reactive rolls: Noted, thanks, I'll roll 'em :smallsmile:

As you wish, sir.
[many individual preferences]

@Saving Throws:

So, I'll roll most saving throws for you but inform you what's going on. In the event that people are waiting for me to roll a saving throw, go ahead as long as it's not a big deal, like damage, but if it's something like Dominate or a grapple that would get in your way, wait for me.

@Initiative:

Generally, I roll initiative for everyone, then put people under blocks of initiative. Usually your enemies will not have more than two or three groups as I roll all of the same kind under the same roll, and thus, the average number of initiative blocks is less than 2. Anyone in a block can act without waiting for others in their block.

@Opposed rolls:

So... I'll roll both sides of the roll if I initiate, while if the bonus of the enemy is not know, the player will roll their half and I will respond with mine. I'll try to get in as fast as possible, but guidelines for saves apply.

@AOO:

I'll leave it up to the player. Nobody has an AoO build, so fortunately, this can be mostly retconned - I say "you can take an AoO" after posting enemy action, if you do, they take the damage.

@Immediate actions:

Much like AoOs, this will be mostly retcon, I think. If you have something you can do that's got a big impact on the flow of battle, please inform me.

Sound alright?

Mornings
2016-01-08, 08:42 PM
there is little I can say without actually understanding your most particular situation. Have you a link to your this rerolling stuff, by any chance, so I may see what RAW might say about it?

If a bonus is fair and agreed upon, (and can be untyped) it can be a very fair compromise instead of rerolls that the player is not supposed to be aware of in the first place.

If I understand, The issue with the default option is that you want the right to choose to use an ability at your disposal, which may or may not have limited application (again I didn't read the terms of your curse, sorry.) to reroll rolls that if you knew about them OOC could break suspension of disbelief, at least for you, if not for the rest of the group, correct?

My question with that is how can you take an immediate action to do something you aren't aware of neither IC nor OOC? if the DM wants to do something without players knowing about or expecting it, I'd think it's his administrative right.
I don't know the details of your misfortune, but depending on the rules, it would make sense for the DM to decide whether to force the reroll in your stead, but that assumes you can trust your DM not to abuse that power.

That post was two-part, Zahn. Rerolls which are immediate actions would not be able to be made if unaware IC. As its an action. There are multiple types of rerolls which vary when theyou can be used. Unfortunately, I'm on my phone right now so I can't link you to every reroll ability. But my sheet is posted, and all sources are on the SRD.

On that note, what are everyone else's preferences for:
Saves
Perception
Sense Motive
Initiative
Attacks of Opportunity
Immediate Actions

Hm, well, It the very least then. If you're going to houserule it across the board I'd like to know how you intend to implement this change, and how the value of this luck bonus, or penalty will be determined (as rerolls are used offensively by witches... it's a hex and a series of spells.)

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 09:03 PM
Hm, well, It the very least then. If you're going to houserule it across the board I'd like to know how you intend to implement this change, and how the value of this luck bonus, or penalty will be determined (as rerolls are used offensively by witches... it's a hex and a series of spells.)

Honestly, I'd prefer to use the current rules and retcons for the most part - converting 1/(time) uses of a reroll is hard to translate into continuous effects.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-08, 09:55 PM
Just a quick summary of Tareen's actual actions within my post. She is moving up to be about 10 feet behind Horace (70 ft. from mystery man) after putting away her bow and drawing her sword. Most notably, she is moving within charge range if needed and is preparing an action to counter-charge if at all needed. I'm going to roll some dice, just in case.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Crit Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
EDIT: Seyate, I'm going to hold off on my response to see if Mr. Sentry has anything else to say or do about our character's presence and/or leaving.

r2d2go
2016-01-08, 11:07 PM
I will mention that the trees will probably be in your way if you want to charge, unless you have an ability I don't know? There isn't a straight line in, you'd have to shift to the left or right a few feet... 8 times.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-08, 11:16 PM
I will mention that the trees will probably be in your way if you want to charge, unless you have an ability I don't know? There isn't a straight line in, you'd have to shift to the left or right a few feet... 8 times.

Ah, no, trees are indeed still a problem. Still trying to make sure Tareen can intercept him if he goes for one of the party, most notably Horace since he seems to be in front for this conversation.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-09, 09:13 AM
Actually, R2, after sleeping on it I think I would rather roll my own saves and contests myself, if you are okay with that. It would help me stay more engaged in the game the more I make rolls myself, which is rather difficult enough as it is since my character is purposefully reactive. Sense motive and perception you can still roll secretly a long as I may choose to use them actively.

I don't mind you rolling initiative for me (hide the Modifier, yeah?). Just bear in mind it can get very clunky if players stop making turns for a monster to make it's move - and it's three-fold as clunky for every additional enemy with an initiative count.

Falcon777
2016-01-09, 03:23 PM
My last great game had us doing group initiative. We would take average out the initiative of both groups and whichever side won all of that side would go first. It helped a lot.

r2d2go
2016-01-09, 03:33 PM
Hmm...

Well, I suppose that your character, Zahn, is in the unique position where acting as if anything that happened to you went unnoticed has an unique IC justification :smalltongue: so sure, you can roll your saves, and people will "notice" the results whenever you get to the roll :smallbiggrin:

I'm not a big fan of averaging initiative since it tends to let one group absolutely massacre the other before they can even respond - that's what surprise rounds are for! :smalltongue: How about something in between? I make all the enemies, not just those of the same kind, on one block of initiative, and roll individually for the players. That way, people who roll high get an "extra turn", but thereafter, all the players are on the same block and can act in any order.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-09, 04:41 PM
Hmm...

Well, I suppose that your character, Zahn, is in the unique position where acting as if anything that happened to you went unnoticed has an unique IC justification :smalltongue: so sure, you can roll your saves, and people will "notice" the results whenever you get to the roll :smallbiggrin:

I'm not a big fan of averaging initiative since it tends to let one group absolutely massacre the other before they can even respond - that's what surprise rounds are for! :smalltongue: How about something in between? I make all the enemies, not just those of the same kind, on one block of initiative, and roll individually for the players. That way, people who roll high get an "extra turn", but thereafter, all the players are on the same block and can act in any order.when that happens, assuming they are right in the middle somewhere, they will have to deal with being ganged up on anyway at some point.
That advantage of ganging up is only relevant in round 1, though. After that the battle continues fairly. if side 2 survives round 1, it generlly evens out. IMO it's not a bad thing if battles go fast, either: You don't want to spend too much time in combat because it can also grind the game's momentum to a halt.

r2d2go
2016-01-09, 04:50 PM
when that happens, assuming they are right in the middle somewhere, they will have to deal with being ganged up on anyway at some point.
That advantage of ganging up is only relevant in round 1, though. After that the battle continues fairly. if side 2 survives round 1, it generlly evens out. IMO it's not a bad thing if battles go fast, either: You don't want to spend too much time in combat because it can also grind the game's momentum to a halt.

The issue is that often, if you kill half of your enemies in the first round, their counterattack is significantly weaker, reducing the amount they weaken you, which gets you into a short feedback loop that ends in one group getting annihilated. That's why I'd have it be (approximately) half of the party going first, then all of the enemies, then all of the party, etc. With only half of the group attacking initially, there's a much greater chance of things "evening out" as you say.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-09, 04:52 PM
Hmm, can I roll a knowledge check of some kind to have any idea what groups he is talking about? And I'll throw in a sense motive here just because of the name thing. Tareen is a name from the south and her tribe, so to have someone with the same name might be a little unusual.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

r2d2go
2016-01-09, 04:58 PM
Hmm, can I roll a knowledge check of some kind to have any idea what groups he is talking about? And I'll throw in a sense motive here just because of the name thing. Tareen is a name from the south and her tribe, so to have someone with the same name might be a little unusual.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

You're not sure why this guy has the same name, but he's not anyone you know or even recognize - He looks like he could be a wood elf, or half wood elf, but it's hard to judge under his rather comprehensive camouflage armor (it covers some of his face).

Your Knowledge of (Nature) doesn't help you much here. If anyone would like to roll Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Arcana), or Knowledge (Religion), that might work.

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-09, 05:13 PM
I can make a Knowledge (arcana) check: [roll0]

Also, I wanted to ask. Has my (silent) detect magic spell bear any fruits? Is there any magical aura in the area?

r2d2go
2016-01-09, 06:22 PM
I can make a Knowledge (arcana) check: [roll0]

Also, I wanted to ask. Has my (silent) detect magic spell bear any fruits? Is there any magical aura in the area?

I believe I ninja-edited the post to include that, and Detect Evil :smalltongue:

Edit: They're both 2:13 :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, your Knowledge of (Arcana) was not sufficient to remember anything particularly useful about this cult, the man, or the nature of the music.

Syekate
2016-01-09, 07:20 PM
I'll throw in a knowledge religion check before IC posting.

[roll0]

r2d2go
2016-01-09, 07:35 PM
You've heard of this "Ezo" - He's not exactly a deity, but he was briefly mentioned in some of the religious texts you read to become a proper paladin as something like a dark psuedodeity, worshiped by mostly cults. More dangerously, you recall he is known for being quite possible to summon, to a degree - his summoned avatars cause great destruction, particularly to structures. Something about his attacks being sonic in nature, which would make sense. He's part of a pantheon or group of some sort with similar tendencies to be "summoned", you think, but you can't recall the rest.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-09, 08:44 PM
I'm in a bit of a rush, but don't want to slow the game any. Tareen lowers her bow but keeps the arrow notched.

r2d2go
2016-01-09, 09:49 PM
I'm in a bit of a rush, but don't want to slow the game any. Tareen lowers her bow but keeps the arrow notched.

Noted, thanks for the consideration :smallsmile:

Estralita
2016-01-10, 12:15 AM
Planes Roll!:

[roll0]

r2d2go
2016-01-10, 12:15 AM
@Cade IC:

Go ahead and look at the Detect Magic spoiler.

You also know that Ezo is known as a being of tremendous arcane power, being particularly good at sound-based and bardic magic.

r2d2go
2016-01-10, 11:27 PM
So, shall I assume nobody objects too strongly to following this other Tareen? (I'll wait for a few more people's approval before scene changing, I think)

Estralita
2016-01-11, 12:27 AM
I made a knowledge (planes) check like you suggested. Do I know anything?

r2d2go
2016-01-11, 03:08 AM
I made a knowledge (planes) check like you suggested. Do I know anything?

Oh, sorry, no. I should note, if I'm silent about a check, chances are nothing came out of it.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-11, 03:28 AM
Oh, sorry, no. I should note, if I'm silent about a check, chances are nothing came out of it.

Not knowing what became of my skill checks can be a problem for my drawback. . .

Anyway, is that a stealth mission I smell? can I roll something to see if I'm brave enough to step up? And would I get a bonus from having a paladin near me?

r2d2go
2016-01-11, 04:42 AM
Not knowing what became of my skill checks can be a problem for my drawback. . .

Anyway, is that a stealth mission I smell? can I roll something to see if I'm brave enough to step up? And would I get a bonus from having a paladin near me?

They're considering how to get a person closer to spy, though the other Tareen seems like he really just wants to get out of there, even if he thinks such a mission could eventually work out

As for bravery, I'd call it a will save vs fear, so yes to Paladin bonus. Let's call it DC... 19 21, and if anyone ever figures out how I calculated that, I will bake them internet cookies :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-11, 05:04 AM
They're considering how to get a person closer to spy, though the other Tareen seems like he really just wants to get out of there, even if he thinks such a mission could eventually work out

As for bravery, I'd call it a will save vs fear, so yes to Paladin bonus. Let's call it DC... 19 21, and if anyone ever figures out how I calculated that, I will bake them internet cookies :smalltongue:
I kind of had my built on that DC19, but I'll do my best and make a response IC about it when I can.

Falcon777
2016-01-12, 07:03 AM
Detection of breathing 1000ft out?!! DANG! That's some serious mojo there.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-12, 07:09 AM
Detection of breathing 1000ft out?!! DANG! That's some serious mojo there.

Sounds like lifesense but yeah, the DM DID SAY he's optimizing partially. That is an interesting part to optimize. :smalleek:

r2d2go
2016-01-12, 10:46 AM
Sounds like lifesense but yeah, the DM DID SAY he's optimizing partially. That is an interesting part to optimize. :smalleek:

I also did say I optimize not for the sake of power in absolute terms, but rather for the sake of optimization :smalltongue:

r2d2go
2016-01-14, 03:29 AM
Anyone else? I'd like to resolve things simultaneously, since it may matter...

Prince Zahn
2016-01-14, 04:49 AM
DMs these days. . . Perfect synchronicity is a pipe dream in a play by post. :smalltongue:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-14, 06:51 AM

Wifi is down here. :smallannoyed: I don't like trying to actually write on my phone. All will be fixed this afternoon. You can move on though, Tareen doesn't have much to do.

r2d2go
2016-01-14, 11:50 AM
DMs these days. . . Perfect synchronicity is a pipe dream in a play by post. :smalltongue:

A man can dream, can't he? :smalltongue:

But yeah, I'll probably just move on in... 9 hours?

Falcon777
2016-01-15, 05:18 PM
That dream is reserved for real life games that don't break apart. :smalltongue: However, I will do what I can to keep up.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-18, 02:55 AM
Playing an unsocial character in a social situation... :smallsigh: I asked for this I suppose.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-18, 03:52 AM
R2, Consider what you asked me to write now as my promised back story.

Playing an unsocial character in a social situation... :smallsigh: I asked for this I suppose.

That's okay too, it brings a different perspective when you are unsocial in a social interaction scene. Work with that, own it. :smallwink:

Syekate
2016-01-18, 09:58 AM
Sorry for the posting delay; was in the mountains for the weekend.

Syekate
2016-01-21, 01:23 PM
Just figured I'd post a little role call, since we may get into some real action soon and it seems like some people haven't posted in a while. Who's still here so we know who's dropped?

Prince Zahn
2016-01-21, 01:30 PM
Just figured I'd post a little role call, since we may get into some real action soon and it seems like some people haven't posted in a while. Who's still here so we know who's dropped?

I'm still here, Jaeyn is preoccupied doing something that you shouldn't trouble yourselves with. :smallwink: I'll leave it to R2 to decide how and when it fits into the narrative.

DaOldeWolf
2016-01-21, 02:43 PM
I am still here and ready to continue. :smallwink:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-21, 02:46 PM
Still here, just quiet.

Estralita
2016-01-21, 03:00 PM
I'm here, just not sure what Elsbeth would say, if anything.

Falcon777
2016-01-21, 07:32 PM
Definitely still here. Cadeyrn hasn't even cast a spell yet!

Hampsterpig
2016-01-21, 09:03 PM
Dwarf covered in spikes, sounds like one of my player's characters. Let's hope he doesn't use anyone as a club.

r2d2go
2016-01-21, 09:51 PM
Dwarf covered in spikes, sounds like one of my player's characters. Let's hope he doesn't use anyone as a club.

Heh :smallamused:

Anyway, I should clarify, "put yourself wherever" means when you post, make a note of your position on the map.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-21, 10:51 PM
:smallsigh: Knew I missed something in my post. Figures. I'll edit that in now.

r2d2go
2016-01-22, 12:59 AM
:smallsigh: Knew I missed something in my post. Figures. I'll edit that in now.

Not a problem, I didn't give a specific explicit instruction or anything. I'll have a response to your post soon :smallsmile:

Estralita
2016-01-22, 02:09 PM
Oh, and Elsbeth's at H6

Prince Zahn
2016-01-22, 03:40 PM
? At F4, S'il vous plaît. :smallsmile:

Hampsterpig
2016-01-22, 05:10 PM
? At F4, S'il vous plaît. :smallsmile:

Zhan, Como cava?

Prince Zahn
2016-01-22, 07:21 PM
Zhan, Como cava?

Ca va bien, I only know a few words in French, I have a character who helps me learn, she is rather fun to play, :3

Hampsterpig
2016-01-22, 07:27 PM
Ca va bien, I only know a few words in French, I have a character who helps me learn, she is rather fun to play, :3

I'm in the same boat, a few spattering of words here and there, enough to get by. I prefer sign language and can hold a decent conversation signing.

EDIT: And everyone else is drawing weapons while the suspicious barbarian is just "hedgehog dwarf, whatever."

r2d2go
2016-01-22, 09:05 PM
Some more rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Okay! First real combat of the game :smallbiggrin: Good luck!

Edit: Apparently I don't have it, with those rolls.... :smalltongue:

Syekate
2016-01-23, 09:43 AM
Falcon777 should have a turn before the dwarf attacks again, yes?

r2d2go
2016-01-23, 03:06 PM
Falcon777 should have a turn before the dwarf attacks again, yes?

Also Jane Doe - That was his AoO.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-23, 03:20 PM
Also Jaeyn Doe - That was his AoO.

Jaeyn Doe, Jaeyn, will make her move tomorrow. Her player has a painful headache that prevents him from engaging in tactical strategy, casual conversation is doable, but my character sheet hurts my eyes at the moment.

r2d2go
2016-01-23, 04:08 PM
Jaeyn Doe, Jaeyn, will make her move tomorrow. Her player has a painful headache that prevents him from engaging in tactical strategy, casual conversation is doable, but my character sheet hurts my eyes at the moment.

Sorry, I thought the change in name based on a DM-only spoilered note would be questionable...

I will begin using "Jaeyn" from now on.

Syekate
2016-01-23, 04:48 PM
Also Jane Doe - That was his AoO.

Ah, right. Sorry, oversight.

EDIT: Also, who? :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-23, 05:10 PM
EDIT: Also, who? :smalltongue:

Syekate gets it. :smallcool:

Syekate
2016-01-24, 11:55 AM
Crit confirm for that first hit. Exciting!

2d6+22[/roll]

Syekate
2016-01-24, 11:57 AM
Sorry for the double post. Silly typing on the damage roll.

[roll0]

Take THIS hedgehog dwarf!

Prince Zahn
2016-01-24, 02:18 PM
Critical confirm
[roll0]
Critical damage, if successful:
[roll1]

and another attack, because I didn't realize I was under haste as well (which means +1 attack and AC to me :smallbiggrin:.
[roll2]
[roll3] + [roll4]

r2d2go
2016-01-24, 04:38 PM
...He's very, very unconscious :smalleek: one moment and I will do an IC post :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-25, 03:09 AM
I vote loot the dwarf!:smalltongue:

r2d2go
2016-01-25, 06:13 PM
Vote duly noted :smalltongue:

Anyway, shall I simply progress you folk to the next event, and do the loot and other numeric trivialities later?

Syekate
2016-01-25, 06:18 PM
Our pussycat got shoved into the river; I was going to let Tareen have a go at swimming before posting.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-25, 08:10 PM
Blah, sorry. Life is busy, kinda self-teaching myself the bass guitar.

Tareen tries to get out of the water. Heh, she can rage at the water since it is a Str based skill.:smalltongue: But she won't.
Swim: [roll0]
Will make a post based on roll (hopefully not a 1, 2 or 3)
EDIT: That nat 20! Of bloody course I managed to roll that on a DC: 10 Swim check.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-26, 12:05 AM
EDIT: That nat 20! Of bloody course I managed to roll that on a DC: 10 Swim check.

At least you swim like a pro! Such form! Your technique is inspired! :smallsmile:

Out of curiosity, is synchronized swim also strength based? :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-01-26, 03:25 AM
Seeing this our first treasure, I'm somewhat glad we didn't kill the guy. O. O he wouldn't have deserve it.

@DM BTW I'd like my arrows back.

r2d2go
2016-01-26, 03:57 AM
Blah, sorry. Life is busy, kinda self-teaching myself the bass guitar.

Tareen tries to get out of the water. Heh, she can rage at the water since it is a Str based skill.:smalltongue: But she won't.
Swim: [roll0]
Will make a post based on roll (hopefully not a 1, 2 or 3)

You'll be happy to know that the +1 morale bonus from your beautiful aquatic acrobatics inspired the mysterious girl to just barely hit a particular DC :smallbiggrin:

(I was trying to decide something to reward the nat 20, and lo and behold, a roll that was just barely off! :smalltongue:)

Seeing this our first treasure, I'm somewhat glad we didn't kill the guy. O. O he wouldn't have deserve it.

@DM BTW I'd like my arrows back.

I guess I'll mention, arrows rolled and retrieved IC.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-26, 04:18 AM

You'll be happy to know that the +1 morale bonus from your beautiful aquatic acrobatics inspired the mysterious girl to just barely hit a particular DC :smallbiggrin:

(I was trying to decide something to reward the nat 20, and lo and behold, a roll that was just barely off! :smalltongue:)

"Th-tha-thank you. . .":smallredface:

Estralita
2016-01-26, 10:56 PM
May Elsbeth make an Arcana or Spellcraft check on the Helmet?

r2d2go
2016-01-27, 12:37 AM
May Elsbeth make an Arcana or Spellcraft check on the Helmet?

Spellcraft would do it, though Knowledge (Arcana), Sense Motive, and perhaps Knowledge (Religion) could work here. Edit: Actually, Spellcraft won't work on its own, without Detect Magic (see spellcraft (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/spellcraft.html))

Prince Zahn
2016-01-27, 01:38 AM
Edit: Actually, Spellcraft won't work on its own, without Detect Magic (see spellcraft (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/spellcraft.html))

Spellcraft might have worked while we were still fighting the dwarf, if we consider it magic already in effect, at least I can see it happening in 3.5 I'll have to check the PF version.

Estralita
2016-01-27, 01:47 AM
Well, Elsbeth has Detect Magic prepared so can we just say she used it and roll?

r2d2go
2016-01-27, 02:30 AM
Well, Elsbeth has Detect Magic prepared so can we just say she used it and roll?

Go for it.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-27, 02:32 AM
Go for it.

Yeah! Go Estra! :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile:

Falcon777
2016-01-27, 04:56 AM
The d6 was indeed a mistake, so if you want to add 1 to the healing that would be fine.

r2d2go
2016-01-27, 11:06 AM
...and, actually, I made a mistake as well, forgot that healing also recovers an equal amount of nonlethal. So he's awake :smallbiggrin:

Estralita
2016-01-27, 11:38 AM
Alright then! Here I go!

[roll0]

I see all the cheering payed off.:smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2016-01-27, 01:57 PM
Nice! :smallsmile:

It's primary function appears to be to mentally say encouraging things to the user, allowing otherwise inaccurate attacks to be guided to their targets (Upon missed attack, add 2d4 to the roll, three times per day).

However, it also enrages the user (apparently, its "encouragement" isn't particularly nice), as the spell Rage (+2 str, +2 con, -1 AC, can't use spells/many skills). Normally, this doesn't completely remove existing morals, though...

Prince Zahn
2016-01-27, 05:16 PM
Hehe, good to know the dwarf is just as Charming without the bloodlust:smalltongue:

r2d2go
2016-01-27, 11:13 PM
Hehe, good to know the dwarf is just as Charming without the bloodlust:smalltongue:

Pretty much, I doubt you need 3 guesses to predict his Charisma :smalltongue:

Syekate
2016-01-28, 10:04 AM
Rolling a little diplomacy check to help convince the dwarf to be friendly and take what Horace says seriously.

[roll0]

EDIT: Our rolls have been scarily lucky of late... I look forward to the backlash of 1s later.

Hampsterpig
2016-01-28, 11:04 AM
I'm laughing at Horace, he is hilarious. Yes, 'looking like a knight that protects the innocent' but probably only comes out a little above 6 feet (at best) when riding Roxanne.

Syekate
2016-01-28, 11:07 AM
I'm laughing at Horace, he is hilarious. Yes, 'looking like a knight that protects the innocent' but probably only comes out a little above 6 feet (at best) when riding Roxanne.

6 feet? He probably doesn't break 5. :smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2016-01-28, 11:51 AM
6 feet? He probably doesn't break 5. :smallbiggrin:

It's quite fortunate he's talking to one of the few medium-sized creatures who's less than that :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-02-01, 11:45 AM
Where can I get arrows like that? :3

Anyway, I think somebody should tell the orc why we came to the skullcrushers(?) with such haste. It would likely be very ineffective if Jaeyn told him, and frankly she Don't want to. She could handle Ragnor, but true Orcs are a scary bunch.:smalleek:

r2d2go
2016-02-01, 07:12 PM
Where can I get arrows like that? :3

If you end up helping the orcs with their problems, you'll probably find out! :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2016-02-01, 11:30 PM
If you end up helping the orcs with their problems, you'll probably find out! :smalltongue:
I don't think I should like the sound of that :smalltongue::smalleek:

Prince Zahn
2016-02-03, 09:39 AM
What do you say, guys? Do we help dem orcs deal with a sniper?:smallsmile:

DaOldeWolf
2016-02-03, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I want to help his people.

r2d2go
2016-02-07, 11:07 PM
So... should I just move you guys along? :smallconfused:

Edit/Repost for Notification: I get the feeling this is all I'm going to get for now :smallfrown: I'll move on tomorrow morning. Pretty sure there's more than 3 left interested in playing, but I'd rather not make late posting a drop-yourself-wherever-after-seeing-the-enemies thing, so I'll be putting those who were here last check in on places I think they'd like.

Estralita
2016-02-07, 11:11 PM
I'm so sorry.:smalleek: I'd like to continue, please.

Also, you can place Elsebeth anywhere.

DaOldeWolf
2016-02-08, 12:07 AM
I am still here. :smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2016-02-08, 01:53 AM
I'm so sorry.:smalleek: I'd like to continue, please.

Also, you can place Elsebeth anywhere.

Nah, if you're here, post IC and you can choose your spot as long as it's within 12 or so hours :smalltongue: the repost for notification was meant to try and catch that, if it just slipped your mind and you needed notification.

I'm hoping Falcon/Hampsterpig are still here, though.

Prince Zahn
2016-02-08, 02:47 PM
I'm here. Just off-grid =) don't worry about whatsername.

Prince Zahn
2016-02-09, 04:00 AM
forgot to roll damage for a hit:

[roll0] + [roll1]

r2d2go
2016-02-14, 12:22 AM
...? :smallfrown:

Prince Zahn
2016-02-14, 12:24 AM
I don't think I have much to say at this point, Do I?

Anyway, it's just been the weekend. Patience is a virtue. :smallsmile:

Estralita
2016-02-14, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure whether we should be talking or fighting, and was waiting for things to become clearer.

r2d2go
2016-02-14, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure whether we should be talking or fighting, and was waiting for things to become clearer.

I guess that's the general sentiment...

I'll wait for another day or two, then I'll edit my post with more, I guess :P perhaps I am too used to faster-pacing...

Prince Zahn
2016-02-17, 03:06 AM
I guess that's the general sentiment...

I'll wait for another day or two, then I'll edit my post with more, I guess :P perhaps I am too used to faster-pacing...

That's three days, then. Where is everybody?

r2d2go
2016-02-17, 01:06 PM
Sorry. I tend to forget this sort of thing when I don't get on it daily and there's no notification... part of why I was worried.

I'll edit in more action. Hopefully people are still here - if not, we might have to re-recruit or put this on the shelf :smallfrown:

Estralita
2016-02-17, 01:08 PM
I'm still here, still a bit confused.

DaOldeWolf
2016-02-17, 01:19 PM
I am still here and ready to go.

Prince Zahn
2016-02-17, 02:14 PM
Sorry. I tend to forget this sort of thing when I don't get on it daily and there's no notification... part of why I was worried.

I'll edit in more action. Hopefully people are still here - if not, we might have to re-recruit or put this on the shelf :smallfrown:
In this situation, I think it's better you just make a new post and wake the whole neighborhood:smalltongue:

Syekate
2016-02-17, 03:50 PM
Still here; SUPER swamped for the next week. Feel free to DM-control my character (or just keep concentrating on detect evil for the next two rounds, why not) if I'm not responsive before next Wednesday.

Estralita
2016-02-18, 04:28 PM
so, of the people left, who has the best sense motive?

Prince Zahn
2016-02-18, 04:31 PM
so, of the people left, who has the best sense motive?

That's really a question for the others to decide, and I have no influence on the outcome of it, but for what its worth Jaeyn Doe has a some points invested in SM.

Estralita
2016-02-18, 04:48 PM
Elsbeth would do it herself, but she has only a +3 and I was hoping we could do better than that...

r2d2go
2016-02-19, 05:51 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

r2d2go
2016-02-21, 01:53 AM
Some more:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Prince Zahn
2016-02-21, 03:04 AM
Some more:
[roll0]
[roll1]

I'm guessing that the dice rolls thread isn't working for you? :smallsmile:

r2d2go
2016-02-21, 04:56 AM
Oh. Right. :smallredface: yeah, I'll use that.

Prince Zahn
2016-02-28, 12:41 AM
I'd imagine if any of us objected to combat, we would have said that?
Dunno if it's a fair fight tho, half of us appear missing.

Should we consider replacements?

r2d2go
2016-02-28, 01:09 AM
I'd imagine if any of us objected to combat, we would have said that?
Dunno if it's a fair fight tho, half of us appear missing.

Yep, though because half are missing, I'd like to wait for Horace.

Should we consider replacements?

Or that.

I will say that these guys are not particularly strong - the getting-one-shot-by-arrows was due more to low level than powerful archery. The whole "encounter" won't be more than CR 9, I think.

DaOldeWolf
2016-02-28, 12:36 PM
So, is Ragnor going to stay there quietly? :smallconfused:

r2d2go
2016-02-28, 03:21 PM
Garrock's offering to have you spar your allies (since initially I was actually worried that you guys were too strong). But you don't have to.

DaOldeWolf
2016-02-28, 03:26 PM
I am fine with that just wondering if that is the case.

Prince Zahn
2016-03-01, 06:58 AM
Well, she's not going to be the first one in position >_>

Prince Zahn
2016-03-07, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure where is a natural position for myself anyway. In what direction does it make sense I'll be?

Estralita
2016-03-07, 03:58 AM
:smallfrown:

I kind of think I need to drop out too. I know I've been dragging my feet here, and I'm also hoping to become employed very soon, which wouldn't help with that. Best wishes, everybody

r2d2go
2016-03-07, 05:53 AM
Man...

I'm honestly not sure I can keep this up. It seems like interest has waned, and I've got finals then spring break in Taiwan with limited internet...

Are people okay with dropping this? Perhaps with a renewal/rerecruitment in a few weeks?