PDA

View Full Version : Haste actions

thatwolfguy
2007-06-13, 09:33 AM
i'm a little confused on what you can do with your haste action.

if i'm hasted, i understand that i get a move action, a 5 foot step (if i didn't actually move during my move action), a standard action and a haste action.

I know what move actions are, i know what standard actions are, what can i do in my haste action.

specifically, if i cast a spell in my standard action, can i use my haste action to perform "multi-shot"? what are the reference materials for this info please?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-13, 09:39 AM
You must be using the 3.0 version of haste, as in 3.5 haste no longer grants extra actions.

In 3.0, haste granted an extra partial action per round. A partial action can be any standard or move-equivalent action. Normally, you would be allowed to make either one full-round action or a standard action and a move-equivalent action in one round. Under the effects of haste, you would instead have the following options.
full-round action and move-equivalent action
full-round action and standard action
standard action, move-equivalent action, and move-equivalent action
standard action, move-equivalent action, and standard action
So, assuming you had your bow in one hand at the begining of the round, you could indeed cast a spell as a standard action and take a full-round action to use Manyshot while under the effects of haste.

Now, in 3.5, haste doesn't grant any sort of extra action with which you can do as you please. The closest it gets to that is granting you an extra attack when you take the full attack action.

Person_Man
2007-06-13, 10:53 AM
Shhal is correct.

You should look at the Haste (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsHtoL.html#haste) spell.

Also note that all Haste and Speed effects never stack. A common misunderstanding is that I can have two Speed Weapons, a magic item that grants a Haste like effect, and a friend that casts Haste on me, and get 4 extra attacks. You can't. You get 1 extra attack.

Charity
2007-06-13, 11:09 AM
Some of us old duffers still play 3.0 (strokes haste spell description lovingly, gives shield spell description a little peck on the cheek)
[horribly off topic]I prefer the TWF in it, being able to PA with light weapons and all that[/hot]

Matthew
2007-06-13, 11:20 AM
Yep, Power Attack was certainly better balanced to other Feats in 3.0, though High Level Spell Casters remained overpowering...

Speed Weapons and Haste in 3.5 have been heavily debated on this Forum. PersonMan is correct in presenting the received wisdom, though it's worth noting that there are those who think differently about exactly what the RAW says (I think Viscount sent in a query, but we're yet to hear back).

In 3.0, though, PersonMan is absolutely and unquestionably right (as they actually addressed the issue in the 3.0 FAQ, unlike now...)

thatwolfguy
2007-06-13, 02:02 PM
Now, in 3.5, haste doesn't grant any sort of extra action with which you can do as you please. The closest it gets to that is granting you an extra attack when you take the full attack action.

so - to clarify - under 3.5, if, and only if, you take the full attack action, you get one extra attack.

and what can you do with haste if you have done something other than a full attack action?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-13, 02:04 PM
...move an extra 30'?

thatwolfguy
2007-06-13, 02:08 PM
oh, i might as well bring it up here, i'm referring to the spell in the 3.5 spell compendium listed as "Haste, Swift" which is a ranger spell, so if there are any differences, please take that into account. and thanks for the info

dave

Jack Mann
2007-06-13, 02:11 PM
The only difference is that it's a swift action, only has a verbal component, and doesn't last as long.

EDIT: And only affects yourself. Some would call that an important distinction...

Fronko
2007-06-13, 05:03 PM
A common misunderstanding is that I can have two Speed Weapons, a magic item that grants a Haste like effect, and a friend that casts Haste on me, and get 4 extra attacks. You can't. You get 1 extra attack.

Uh, so TWFing two speed weapons only grant ONE additional attack? The way I read the description, a speeded weapon grants one extra attack with that weapon, therefore two speeded weapons would grant one extra attack each, totalling two extra attacks. Am I wrong?

EDIT:
Ok, so I have checked this (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsAW.html) and that last remark in the description of a speed weapon concerning "similar effects" is probably the tricky thing. Does a second speed weapon count as a similar effect? If you answer this question with yes, then obviously only one speed weapon can be used. I can see arguments going either way, though. Need to check with my DM. :)

Matthew
2007-06-13, 05:13 PM
Yeah, the received wisdom is that you are wrong, but it's not perfectly clear. There have been a number of Threads about this over the last few months, but what it comes down to is how you interpret the effects of Haste. If you only gain one Attack full stop, then two Speed Weapons must grant only one Bonus Attack. If you allow Haste to grant one bonus attack per weapon wielded, then you gain one bonus attack per speed weapon wielded.

The former has the strongest supporting evidence, but the latter is the better balanced rule (as long as nobody tries to use X free actions to draw and use X number of weapons with the Speed Quality in order to get Y number of extra attacks)

barawn
2007-06-13, 05:24 PM
The former has the strongest supporting evidence, but the latter is the better balanced rule (as long as nobody tries to use X free actions to draw and use X number of weapons with the Speed Quality in order to get Y number of extra attacks)

Eh, for that, you'd just say that the number of extra attacks is determined when you begin your attack, and additional weapons drawn don't do anything.

Though the idea of someone gatling-gun stabbing someone else with 100 daggers of speed is a little hilarious (and Belkar-like).

Matthew
2007-06-13, 05:32 PM
I agree that is a sensible House Rule, but it ain't RAW is all (by RAW you could limit the number of Free Actions to prevent this); have to point these things out, though.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-13, 05:59 PM
so - to clarify - under 3.5, if, and only if, you take the full attack action, you get one extra attack.
Correct.

and what can you do with haste if you have done something other than a full attack action?
In addition to granting an additional attack in a full attack, haste (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsHtoL.html#haste) increases the subject's movement speed and grantes a bonus to attack, AC, and Reflex saves.

Note also, that 3.5 haste affects multiple targets, as Jack Mann aluded.