PDA

View Full Version : A dragon's business

InaVegt
2007-06-13, 09:35 AM
For the campaign setting I'm brewing I decided I'd let currency have a more important role than in the standard campaign, by introducing currencies, along with a bit of flavor of the countries the currency belongs to.

The empire of the sea
Nobody really knows where these huge men came from, about fifty years ago the first of their fleets landed on the shores of the continent. With their superior magic they quickly secured large parts of land. In fear the countries not completely overrun quickly sought peace. The matrozen, as they called themselves, agreed on peace, but only on their own terms. As such, everyone is under their control, directly or indirectly. While a commoner would not easily gain one of their coins, they are considered to be worth quite a lot.
Currency
The basic unit of the empire is the guilder, a large golden coin. Amounts smaller than the guilder are measured in cents, the coin worth the least is worth half a cent. one hundred cents is equal to one guilder. The most expensive coin used by the empire is a platinum coin worth five guilders, this coin is called a double empire after the empire which is worth two and a half guilder, this coin is also made of platinum yet much smaller. When dealing with truly large amounts of cash letters of credit are used, these letters are covered by the empirical institute of economy.
Usual coins and letters of credit
0.5 cents, the red cent, made of red copper and very small.
1 cent, the cent, made of yellow copper and small
5 cents, the ship, made of yellow copper, featuring a ship.
10 cents, the double ship, made of silver and small.
25 cents, the quarter, made of silver.
1 guilder, the guilder, made of gold
2.5 guilder, the empire, made of platinum and featuring the empire's heraldic weapon
5 guilders, the double empire, made of platinum
10 guilders, the common note, letter of credit
25 guilders, the captain's note, letter of credit
50 guilders, the yellow note, letter of credit
100 guilders, the rare note, letter of credit

The kingdom of honor
The kingdom removed the farthest from the empire, as such it has the most independence and only needs to trade in very small amounts for reasonably decent prices. The kingdom has a rigid feudal system and has values honor a lot.
Currency
To be worked out

Exchange rates
The guilder is worth 1 platinum piece in standard D&D currency, as such the empirical cent is worth 1 silver piece.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 09:45 PM
I like variable currency, much more fun that standard old SP and GP. Are you going to address the weight issue? Coinage made of precious metals is invariably measured in weight.