PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Jump boost with repelling blast?

foREVer_Lawliet
2016-01-06, 06:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering as to whether you would be able to use Eldritch blast with the repelling blast upgrade to boost a jump? To fire it downwards at the same time as a jump to allow my character to be boosted up to 15ft in the air, if so I assume you coud use it to jump a 15ft wide gap?

In addition I would of thought that something like this would also require some sort of a Dex saving throw, say DC13 in order to get the balance and aim right.

Any thoughts on this?

Coffee_Dragon
2016-01-06, 06:19 AM
This is just to reach those high ledges with medikits isn't it

JackPhoenix
2016-01-06, 06:27 AM
Repelling blast ignores the laws of physics, when you repel an enemy, you're not repelled the same distance in the other direction. There's no size limit on the thing you CAN repel, though, but I find it silly that you can "jump" by pushing the whole planet (if your setting even uses planet and not flat disc or infinite flat plane or something...) away, like when Chuck Norris does pushups...also, you would push the planet, but not the buildings and creatures and pretty much anything on its survace...

You can push someone else up, if s/he's willing to take the damage

tsotate
2016-01-06, 06:55 AM
This only works if the planet you're on is Mogo. Otherwise, you can't even shoot it at the ground, let alone take advantage of its non-existent recoil, because EB only targets creatures.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-06, 07:11 AM
This only works if the planet you're on is Mogo. Otherwise, you can't even shoot it at the ground, let alone take advantage of its non-existent recoil, because EB only targets creatures.

From what I see it has a range of 120' and uses the word target and not creatures.

I'm using an app for my spell list right now so I may be wrong.

tsotate
2016-01-06, 09:06 AM
From what I see it has a range of 120' and uses the word target and not creatures.

"A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range."

Joe the Rat
2016-01-06, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering as to whether you would be able to use Eldritch blast with the repelling blast upgrade to boost a jump? To fire it downwards at the same time as a jump to allow my character to be boosted up to 15ft in the air, if so I assume you coud use it to jump a 15ft wide gap?

In addition I would of thought that something like this would also require some sort of a Dex saving throw, say DC13 in order to get the balance and aim right.

Any thoughts on this?
Yeah, I was watching the Doctor Who marathon as well.

As folks have pointed out, Repelling blast is physics-defying. Not only do you have the lack of recoil (though it could model a shaped charge projectile - normal recoil to fire, a lot more punch on arrival), you completely ignore target mass. pixies, elves, ogres, ancient dragons... everybody takes a 10' jump to the left backwards. Per blast.

...so it could work, if you could target the entire world beneath your feet. Mogo, or Ego, or Unicron perhaps (tsotate: oh, you!). Maybe if you can beat the natural AC for being a planet (which I think is in the 30 range). Then it's a matter of everything jumping up 10 feet.

If you really wanted the big jumps, there's an invocation for it. Firing your blasts would be a flavorful way to describe it. The other way to run this is as an Alley Oop. One of your party members takes a leap, then you boost them another 10 feet with your blast (as a Reaction). I'd practice this beforehand. Have that healing kit handy: Between the blast and the fall damage, that's going to be uncomfortable.

tieren
2016-01-06, 09:27 AM
Although, I suppose a lenient DM might let you target yourself (spin around so your back is facing the direction of travel and blast from your finger tips into your gut).

WickerNipple
2016-01-06, 09:36 AM
...so it could work, if you could target the entire world beneath your feet. Mogo, or Ego, or Unicron perhaps (tsotate: oh, you!). Maybe if you can beat the natural AC for being a planet (which I think is in the 30 range). Then it's a matter of everything jumping up 10 feet.

I love the concept of this world.

Everyone across the globe builds bouncy-castles to live in.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-06, 10:10 AM
Earth's orbiting speed around the Sun is about 30 km/s, which is (with some rounding) about 600 000 feet per round. Which means if the Earth was a creature, 60 000 (or as few 15 000, if they are all level 17+ as ) warlocks firing their Repelling Eldritch Blasts from the right side of the planet in one round could stop Earth's orbit, eventually dropping the planet into the Sun (you wouldn't even to negate the orbiting speed completely, just slow it down enough...I'm not doing the math), also killing all the catgirls in the process.

My villain now have a plan to desroy the world.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-06, 01:23 PM
Don't planes have a sort of sentience?

Also are planes even planets? Like, yeha in spelljammer there are planets but is the material plane a planet in the basic ideology of the D&D multiverse?

JumboWheat01
2016-01-06, 01:32 PM
Although, I suppose a lenient DM might let you target yourself (spin around so your back is facing the direction of travel and blast from your finger tips into your gut).

I don't think I'd ever try it. I'd either end up missing with either a natural one or failure to beat my own personal AC, or end up going critical and killing myself instead of launching.

Throw the halfling instead. Let him get whatever's on the ledge.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-06, 01:35 PM
I don't think I'd ever try it. I'd either end up missing with either a natural one or failure to beat my own personal AC, or end up going critical and killing myself instead of launching.

Throw the halfling instead. Let him get whatever's on the ledge.

As a DM I would say that if you are willing to take 1d10+cha damage than you autohit yourself (you aren't trying to dodge) and you won't ever critical. 1d10+cha damage for 10' of movement is a bit steep of a price haha.

Kane0
2016-01-06, 03:38 PM
You don't push yourself up, you push the world down.

EB is the Chuck Norris of cantrips.

EvanescentHero
2016-01-06, 03:44 PM

This is literally an idea I had earlier this week. Break your fall by hitting yourself with a repelling blast. I think it's hilarious and would very likely allow it in my game!

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-06, 03:56 PM
You don't push yourself up, you push the world down.

EB is the Chuck Norris of cantrips.

Nah man, Chuck Norris would even think EB is OP.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-06, 07:17 PM
This is literally an idea I had earlier this week. Break your fall by hitting yourself with a repelling blast. I think it's hilarious and would very likely allow it in my game!

Not that great at higher level, though... 4 Eldritch Blasts, likely with Agonising Blast and at least 40' fall distance can do more damage then mere fall

krugaan
2016-01-06, 07:21 PM
Not that great at higher level, though... 4 Eldritch Blasts, likely with Agonising Blast and at least 40' fall distance can do more damage then mere fall

Sounds like some kind of anime gimmick move:

Eldritch PAWNCH

Cast eldritch blast on your fist, propelling it 40' forward and into someone's face at high speed.

MaxWilson
2016-01-06, 08:56 PM
Earth's orbiting speed around the Sun is about 30 km/s, which is (with some rounding) about 600 000 feet per round. Which means if the Earth was a creature, 60 000 (or as few 15 000, if they are all level 17+ as ) warlocks firing their Repelling Eldritch Blasts from the right side of the planet in one round could stop Earth's orbit, eventually dropping the planet into the Sun (you wouldn't even to negate the orbiting speed completely, just slow it down enough...I'm not doing the math), also killing all the catgirls in the process.

My villain now have a plan to desroy the world.

Orbits in (A)D&D aren't tied to planetary velocity.

(Though 5E doesn't need to be bound by previous material, and especially a given DM doesn't, so if you like that concept you can still use it.)

JackPhoenix
2016-01-07, 08:32 AM
Orbits in (A)D&D aren't tied to planetary velocity.

(Though 5E doesn't need to be bound by previous material, and especially a given DM doesn't, so if you like that concept you can still use it.)

That depends more on the setting then on the edition, though: Greyhawk has Sun and planets orbiting Oerth, Golarion has a normal solar system, Eberron is a normal planet too (though with a very interesting set of moons, planetary ring made from dragonshards, no other planets in the system and I'm not sure if the sun is a normal star or some sort of magical phenomena), Ravenloft is a bunch of demiplanes lost in the Mists, Discworld (not D&D example) is a disc standing on four elephants standing on a turtle with sun and moons orbiting it, I'm not sure how Faerun is organised.

Joe the Rat
2016-01-07, 09:54 AM
You know, not everyone takes Agonizing Blast. Most, probably, but not everyone.
It looks like DM ruling if you want to be able to turn AB off. But regardless, taking 1-4d10 to stop 1-4d6 of falling damage is a bit counterproductive.

I'm not sure how Faerun is organised.By Ed Greenwood.

tieren
2016-01-07, 10:30 AM
You know, not everyone takes Agonizing Blast. Most, probably, but not everyone.
It looks like DM ruling if you want to be able to turn AB off. But regardless, taking 1-4d10 to stop 1-4d6 of falling damage is a bit counterproductive.

By Ed Greenwood.

I assume they meant falling from a very far height so you were looking at the max fall damage of 10d6 (or 20d6 or whatever the max is) and instead hit yourself with one repelling blast straight up when you were just about to hit, sending you up and then just falling from 15 or 20 feet up. I also assume they don't mean to hit themselves with more than one blast.

Kane0
2016-01-07, 03:24 PM
I don't think a max fall damage is established.

Regardless, at my table it'd reduce your effective fall distance by 10' per EB you hit yourself with, so you effectively trade the 1d6 from the fall for your 1d10 +? EB damage.
I can just imagine your patron saying "Good job shooting yourself in the gut to try and break your fall, I'd have never thought of that! Try a feather fall next time genius, I don't give you these spells just for laughs."

JumboWheat01
2016-01-07, 03:32 PM
I don't think a max fall damage is established.

Regardless, at my table it'd reduce your effective fall distance by 10' per EB you hit yourself with, so you effectively trade the 1d6 from the fall for your 1d10 +? EB damage.
I can just imagine your patron saying "Good job shooting yourself in the gut to try and break your fall, I'd have never thought of that! Try a feather fall next time genius, I don't give you these spells just for laughs."

I dunno, I could see an Archfey patron giving you spells for the laughs. Maybe not the laughs s/he intended, but still for the laughs anyway.

Though a Great Old One patron, assuming they're even aware of your presence, would probably just give you an implied facepalm.

Kane0
2016-01-07, 03:45 PM
I wonder what a telepathic facepalm would be like...

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-07, 04:40 PM
I wonder what a telepathic facepalm would be like...

I'm sure there is a spell for that or at least there should be...

A mix between phantasmal force and bigby's hand

coredump
2016-01-07, 06:05 PM
I *would* allow you to ready an action to EB an ally that was jumping to help him get across further.

Kane0
2016-01-07, 06:24 PM
I'm sure there is a spell for that or at least there should be...

A mix between phantasmal force and bigby's hand

Int save or be knocked prone?

JumboWheat01
2016-01-07, 07:18 PM

Wizard:"Oh gods, the stupidity..."
Player: "I'm intentionally going to fail a save."
*casts Bigby's Hand and use it to facepalm myself*

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-07, 08:35 PM

I don't think you get a save... :p

choryukami
2016-01-08, 10:48 AM
Why not just shoot yourself in the direction you want to go? (i.e. point your hand up and shoot yourself, propelling yourself up at the highest point in your jumping arc) Physics defying!!! Only problem is the pesky force damage.