PDA

View Full Version : Paladin pet companion

DonElektro
2016-01-06, 06:11 AM
Hello! I'm DM and a Paladin asks me how he can get a pet/companion with him, specifically a wolf. He want the wolf to follow him in adventures not to be summoned for some time with spells of charmed for a few minutes or hours. There is some way to obtain something like that a Paladin without multiclassing?

Keltest
2016-01-06, 06:25 AM
If he is friends with a druid or ranger, he could potentially obtain a relatively tame companion that way, I suppose. Or he could just adopt a dog.

Unfortunately, as the party goes up in levels, unless he is a class with a proper animal companion, his wolf/dog is going to have to stick to hiding in the back while the magics and weapons are flying, lest he be BBQed by an errant fireball. His paladin's wolf companion will almost certainly not work out the way he wants it to.

DonElektro
2016-01-06, 06:39 AM
You help me a lot! Thank you!

JackPhoenix
2016-01-06, 06:40 AM
He can propably tame some wolf with Wisdom (Handle Animals) check, though that would take time (possibly rear it from the pup, SoIaF/GoT style), he can buy a dog and refluff it as a wolf. You can also allow him to get a wolf with Summon Steed if he's small-sized.

Or even not small sized...in my PF (soon to be ported to 5e) game, I have allowed the (human) paladin to use her Divine Bond to take her dog (she's got a magebred dog since level 1) as an Animal Companion instead of the usual paladin mount. In 5e, I would allow her to cast Summon Steed on the dog to infuse him with divine power, giving him intelligence and allowing him to be re-summoned if he's killed...which is less likely in 5e then in PF, thanks to weaker monsters and fewer AoE's flying around

DonElektro
2016-01-06, 06:58 AM
You gave me an idea. I will with some way use the Find Steed spell to make his wish true. Of course the wolf can't be a normal one! Really thanks!