PDA

View Full Version : Are the Priests of the Demigods blind deaf and dumb?

Lord
2016-01-06, 09:15 AM
I'm just curious, because not all, if any of them, were in on the Hel scheme. You'd think they would have noticed an entire army of vampires being formed/walking into the Godsmoot, and mentioned the fact to the clerics. Or just gone on a slaying rampage or gotten the hell out of here. Even if we assume that they were in on the Godsmoot Scheme, some of them voted against Hel.

I'm just saying that this seems something that's kind of hard to miss and or forget about.

Thoughts?

On a side note, while I understand that the Clerics are in a Mexican standoff regarding the Durkula vs Roy fight, you'd think that one of them would have cast a dispel of some kind on the Antilife shield, if only to give Roy a chance of finishing Durkula off. As it stands, it seems that if you want Durkula to lose, escalating the situation would be a logical move. Besides, if they are both equally buffed then the match should turn out about the same.

Kish
2016-01-06, 09:17 AM
"While I understand that none of the clerics will intervene in the fight, it seems strange to me that none of them intervened in the fight."

Seriously?

Cizak
2016-01-06, 09:25 AM
If you're sitting around playing cards, why would you notice a bunch of vampires gathering somewhere else?

Pyrous
2016-01-06, 09:40 AM
If you're sitting around playing cards, why would you notice a bunch of vampires gathering somewhere else?

Also note that they are High Priests playing cards. They must win to prove that their respective demigod is better, so it's no surprise they are not paying attention on what is happening in the cathedral. They only stop playing when someone starts shouting "FREE CAKE". Everybody loves cake.

Onyavar
2016-01-06, 10:20 AM
We have seen that the cathedral was so large that Belkar's escape from and his last stand against Undurkon was only noticed by ONE usher, who told Undurkon that she "heard someone yell".

So, the vampires may easily have been hunting ushers so quietly that nobody noticed. (Note, this would certainly have a long time, more than I expect Undurkon to have had. So far, we will have to wait for the Giants explanation.)

Peelee
2016-01-06, 10:22 AM
"While I understand that none of the clerics will intervene in the fight, it seems strange to me that none of them intervened in the fight."

Seriously?

Aaaaand the only comment I was going to make has already been made, and with more wit and brevity.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-06, 10:26 AM
Vampire's get bonuses to Hide/Move Silently. Clerics have Spot/Listen as cross-class skills and 2+Int (traditional dump stat for clerics) Skill points. Also, the cathedral is big. The Demigod priests could've easily missed the vamping of the Creed.

NerdyKris
2016-01-06, 12:43 PM
I agree. Why would you assume the vamped ushers were just traipsing around in full view instead of hiding? That was the whole point of the Halfling not finding anyone to go get the demigod's representatives immediately. It was a hint that all the ushers had been disposed of.

Jasdoif
2016-01-06, 01:30 PM
Why would you assume the vamped ushers were just traipsing around in full view instead of hiding?Admittedly, I can see the appeal of a vampiric cadre traipsing and pirouetting around, perhaps singing "Here we go a-caroling around the mountain hall! None left to usher, the meeting started after all!" merrily to throw the demigod priests off track.

But I don't think that's what actually happened :smalltongue:

Peelee
2016-01-06, 01:46 PM
Admittedly, I can see the appeal of a vampiric cadre traipsing and pirouetting around, perhaps singing "Here we go a-caroling around the mountain hall! None left to usher, the meeting started after all!" merrily to throw the demigod priests off track.

But I don't think that's what actually happened :smalltongue:

I'll give anything for the Giant to reply to this and just say "canon."

Killer Angel
2016-01-06, 01:48 PM

Seriously?

I believe it's more "I know they are under the godsmoot's rules, but it seems strange no one of them did try to bypass them a little ".

Well, it's full of priests that know loopholes, and they are not going to close an eye on violations.

Peelee
2016-01-06, 02:18 PM
I believe it's more "I know they are under the godsmoot's rules, but it seems strange no one of them did try to bypass them a little ".

Well, it's full of priests that know loopholes, and they are not going to close an eye on violations.
It's because he said this:

On a side note, while I understand that the Clerics are in a Mexican standoff regarding the Durkula vs Roy fight, you'd think that one of them would have cast a dispel of some kind on the Antilife shield,

Or, to paraphrase while keeping the meaning intact, "I know it's a room full of people all holding guns on each other, but I don't understand why nobody starts shooting."

If Antilife Shell is dropped by another cleric, then that's functionally no different than buffing Roy or attacking the vampire - at least, before the abdication. Now, of course, anyone can drop it, but things are happening fast, and he'll probably book it before that can happen, if anyone wants to do it.

Lord
2016-01-06, 02:25 PM

Seriously?

My point was merely that the situation had changed so that it was impossible for their favored candidate to win. Therefore, logically, ANY action which disrupts the Antilife shield is automatically worth it, because even if someone buffs the Vampire, your chances for saving your world are still better than they were with the Antilife shield up. Thus the Clerics threat to buff the vampire is no longer sound, since a stalemate is the last thing they want.

Keep in mind there is no specific rule stating they cannot use spells to assist one candidate. Its just that they cannot directly try to harm Durkula. The only thing keeping them from buffing Roy is Mr Cleric of the Sun God proclaiming that if they do so he will unload every buff he knows upon the Vampire. Thus neither side is willing to start casting for fear of making the situation worse. However as of right now the situation has hit rock bottom, which means that nothing short of attacking Durkula could possibly make it worse. So there is no logical reason not to buff Roy and dispel the antimagic field and just hope that Roy can kill a buffed Durkula.

Jasdoif
2016-01-06, 02:26 PM
Admittedly, I can see the appeal of a vampiric cadre traipsing and pirouetting around, perhaps singing "Here we go a-caroling around the mountain hall! None left to usher, the meeting started after all!" merrily to throw the demigod priests off track.

But I don't think that's what actually happened :smalltongue:I'll give anything for the Giant to reply to this and just say "canon."Might please you to know I finally came up with the chorus.

"Now we all wish you well! No we're not servants of Hel! And gods bless us, and send us a happy new world! And gods send us a happy new world."

Killer Angel
2016-01-06, 02:29 PM
Or, to paraphrase while keeping the meaning intact, "I know it's a room full of people all holding guns on each other, but I don't understand why nobody starts shooting."

In movies, it often happens that someone starts shooting. It's the recipe for a bloodbath scene. :smalltongue:

Kish
2016-01-06, 02:33 PM
No. It's near the bottom of the list, to be sure, but the last thing they want, is all the rules that make up the Godsmoot being replaced by "when the gods have a disagreement they all brawl for supremacy." The previous "We have to help him!" "You do, I'll help the vampire!" exchange was important more for the reminder that there is no priestly or deific consensus that Hel's scheme is to be stopped by any means, than for the individual loophole being plugged.

That's what the many, many, numerous arguments that it seems a strange thing, mystifying, that the assembled priests aren't yelling in chorus, "Screw the rules, I have spells!" all seem to miss.

hroşila
2016-01-06, 02:38 PM
My point was merely that the situation had changed so that it was impossible for their favored candidate to win. Therefore, logically, ANY action which disrupts the Antilife shield is automatically worth it, because even if someone buffs the Vampire, your chances for saving your world are still better than they were with the Antilife shield up. Thus the Clerics threat to buff the vampire is no longer sound, since a stalemate is the last thing they want.
This is akin to saying that the polls say Party X has no chance of winning the upcoming elections in the country of Y, so they should get on planning a coup.

It simply turns out there ARE worse things for the gods than a stalemate or losing a vote.

NerdyKris
2016-01-06, 03:09 PM
The risk of everyone saying "screw the rules" is far greater than the risk of not getting your way this time. One doesn't become a high priest by telling your god "Screw your pact with the other gods, I'm going to act in my own best interests". And the gods would much rather say "you're not my high priest anymore and you have no spells now, also I guess my vote is nullified" than run the risk of creating another Snarl.

dps
2016-01-06, 07:06 PM

Keep in mind there is no specific rule stating they cannot use spells to assist one candidate. Its just that they cannot directly try to harm Durkula. The only thing keeping them from buffing Roy is Mr Cleric of the Sun God proclaiming that if they do so he will unload every buff he knows upon the Vampire. Thus neither side is willing to start casting for fear of making the situation worse. However as of right now the situation has hit rock bottom, which means that nothing short of attacking Durkula could possibly make it worse. So there is no logical reason not to buff Roy and dispel the antimagic field and just hope that Roy can kill a buffed Durkula.

Candidate? You do realize that no one is running for any office at the Godsmoot, right?

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-06, 08:27 PM

There's some very good logical reasons for no one dispelling the Anti-life field. The fight between Roy and HpoH is seen as an Internal church matter; Any form of interference might cause an escalation and get an outside church embroiled in another church's politics. As for your assertion that 'things have hit rock bottom so they might as well', this isn't logical; it's subjective as to whether the Hps see it as rock bottom, and even if they make that assessment (based on...?) then 'start a buff race' isn't the most logical solution.

Or to put it another way, which sounds more likely?
Dispel Antilife and hope Roy defeats a stronger HpoH;
Do nothing and hope Roy defeats a greatly weakened HpoH?

ORione
2016-01-06, 10:05 PM
We have seen that the cathedral was so large that Belkar's escape from and his last stand against Undurkon was only noticed by ONE usher, who told Undurkon that she "heard someone yell".

So, the vampires may easily have been hunting ushers so quietly that nobody noticed. (Note, this would certainly have a long time, more than I expect Undurkon to have had. So far, we will have to wait for the Giants explanation.)

Maybe he created a few vampires, then had them turn the rest.

Rodin
2016-01-07, 02:22 AM
Might please you to know I finally came up with the chorus.

"Now we all wish you well! No we're not servants of Hel! And gods bless us, and send us a happy new world! And gods send us a happy new world."

I'm feeling a sudden urge to start singing "With CATLIKE tread..."

Tarantara! Tarantara!

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-08, 08:56 AM
We seek a penalty (fifty-fold) for Durkula's loophole diving

Insofar as any other priest having a go at the anti life shell, that makes little sense.

Roy getting into it with Durkula, as he is Durkula's bodyguard, is an internal church matter for the church of Hel ... from the perspective of all of the clerics in that room. The possible exception is Veldrina, though she's written as a bit of a ditz so that's a lowball concern. Another exception is Wrecan, who as a bodyguard of another cleric is at best an observer. (And he's already come close to cheating his own self)

Hopeless
2016-01-08, 10:31 AM
Once Durkula passed his mantle to someone else wouldn't that mean he loses the protection it gave him?

Bulldog Psion
2016-01-08, 11:30 AM
In movies, it often happens that someone starts shooting. It's the recipe for a bloodbath scene. :smalltongue:

"Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don't mind if I go out speaking the King's." :smallwink:

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-08, 12:11 PM
Once Durkula passed his mantle to someone else wouldn't that mean he loses the protection it gave him? It should, but he just did it so the others in the room need to react to that. I suspect the next strip will demonstrate how the reaction goes ... recalling that half of the Representatives in the room(minus 1) voted the same way as Hel did.

NerdyKris
2016-01-08, 12:21 PM
He's behind an anti-life shield and holding a teleport orb. He might no longer protected by the rules, but nobody is going to get through to him before he teleports away. It's not like he's going to stand there for a few rounds to give everyone a sporting chance.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-08, 04:01 PM
He's behind an anti-life shield and holding a teleport orb. He might no longer protected by the rules, but nobody is going to get through to him before he teleports away. It's not like he's going to stand there for a few rounds to give everyone a sporting chance.

Um. Clerics? If the Clerics open fire (which is a big, big if), that Antilife shell may as well be mood lighting.

NerdyKris
2016-01-08, 04:27 PM
Yes? But why would he stay long enough for them to do anything? Unless there's some sort of casting time on that sphere, he's leaving right now, most likely.