2016-01-06, 12:33 PM
Hi guys,
some advice for a swashbuckler whit twf and multiclassing whit a fighter
best a 15/5 or a 17/3?
Any othe advice ?
Thank u

djreynolds
2016-01-07, 04:08 AM
I think the consensus would be level 5 BM for the extra attack and precision, still leaving you with a bonus action if you land a hit with either of your two main hand attacks and allowing you to disengage. But that was prior thinking with a thief archetype or assassin

But a swashbuckler already allows you to basically freely disengage from a lone single opponent you have attacked already, and you only need disengage to get away from his buddies flanking him, to prevent the AoO.

But if you attack him and he has buddies, and you are without a comrade with 5', you cannot sneak attack anyhow.

IMO, I feel if you take fighter, you may be tempted to take two weapon style, this could be trap as you normally will want to disengage which you can do freely, no bonus action, as a swashbuckler and instead land a hit with your off-hand with the extra dex damage. Sounds good, right, you have uncanny dodge for half damage.

But I would take archery style and use a long bow from range with sharpshooter, and for two-weapon I would grab a short-sword and hand crossbow, you have the feats. This way you can shoot that preloaded hand crossbow with your off hand as a bonus action at someone else once you landed that sneak with your rapier, or if DM allows it shoot the preloaded hand crossbow as you move in to attack with your rapier.

This way if you have no allies present you can still lean on sharpshooter for some damage, and precision and archery style to help negate the -5 from sharpshooter. Sometimes a rogue cannot land his sneak attack, for whatever reason, one being smart DMs who set scenarios such as the buddy system, so your high dexterity, archery style from fighter, and precision and extra attack if you take 5 levels of fighter, still allows you to contribute high damage when a sneak attack isn't available.

So you will need sharpshooter, crossbow expert, and if you must have a rapier duel wield style, my thief just uses a short sword and hand crossbow which are both light. 15/5 is good because at 15 rogue you get basically resilience in wisdom which you want anyhow.

Oramac
2016-01-07, 02:56 PM
But if you attack him and he has buddies, and you are without a comrade with 5', you cannot sneak attack anyhow.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was reading the UA release instead of SCAG.

In any case, you can still use Fancy Footwork to move away from as many enemies as you can attack on your turn without provoking an AoO. You can't Sneak Attack them, however.