PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spells for DracoKnight's Spell Contest I [PEACH]

WarrentheHero
2016-01-06, 02:18 PM
These are just some neat spells I've thought of, some of which are from an as-yet unposted WIP Swordmage, which is a teleporting swordfighter with half-casting.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473243-5e-Spellbrew-contest-I (DracoKnight's 5e Spellbrew Contest I)

Greater Mending
1st-level transmutation - Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Swordmage, Wizard
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M (three lodestones)
Duration: Instantaneous
This spell functions as the Mending cantrip, but with in a greater capacity. This spell can repair a single object or a group of identical objects within a 10' cube. For example, this spell could repair a breach in the hull of a ship, or reassemble a group of shattered wooden chairs. Each casting of this spell can only effect one material at a time, so casting it on a crate of moth-eaten silk, for example, can repair the silk, but not the crate itself, or another fabric in it.

Blazing Pursuit
1st-level evocation - Bard, Swordmage, Warlock, Wizard
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
The first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during the spell’s duration, your weapon becomes coated in flames, and the attack deals an extra 2d6 fire damage to the target. Additionally, if the target ends its turn within 10 feet of you, you may teleport up to 10 feet to a space adjacent to that target.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Scalding Gust
1st-level evocation - Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Range: Self (15-foot cone)
Components: V, S, M (a small figure of a dragon carved from wood or stone)
Spectral wings sprout from your shoulder blades, buffeting those in front of you. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 2d6 fire damage and is pushed 5 feet away from you on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried, and any unattended and unsecured objects weighing 15 pounds or less are pushed 10 feet away from you.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell with a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Frost Backlash
2nd-level evocation - Swordmage, Warlock, Wizard
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take in response to being damage by a creature within melee range of you that you can see
Range: Melee Weapon range
Components: V, M(a weapon)
You immediately counter, forcing your opponent to make a Dexterity saving throw. The target takes damage equal to your weapon damage plus 2d12 cold damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d12 for each slot level above 1st.

Mindquake
9th-level enchantment - Warlock, Wizard
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a pearl worth at least 200 gp with the draconic rune for "mind" etched on one hemisphere and "shatter" on the other)
You reach out to a creature, attempting to destroy some part of its mind. The target must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw. If the creature has a CR less than or equal to half of your character level, it makes the save at disadvantage. A creature that fails the save must roll a d100 and consult the following chart. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw takes 6d10 psychic damage.

d100
Effect

1-6
The target forgets how to breathe.

6-10
The target suffers 18d10 psychic damage

11-20
The target suffers 15d10 psychic damage

21-30
The target suddenly remembers everything that has ever happened in their life to the last detail. It is stunned for 1d4 minutes and suffers 410 psychic damage.

31-40
The target's Intelligence score is reduced by 1d12 + your casting modifier

41-50
The creature's perceptions change. It sees its current allies as enemies, and sees you and your allies as enemies.

51-58
The target loses proficiency with all weapons, armor, and shields

The target loses proficiency with all weapons, and cannot gain proficiency with any

The target loses proficiency with all armor and shields, and cannot gain proficiency with any

61-70
The target suffers 10d10 psychic damage and forgets everything that has happened within the last three days

71-75
The target suffers 5d8 psychic damage and is effected as though subject to a Feeblemind spell

76-80
The target loses the spellcasting trait. If it does not have spellcasting, it suffers 15d10 psychic damage

81-85
The target's brain stops sending signals to its body. It is paralyzed for 1d6 rounds +1

86-90
The target's eyes deceive them. They treat all creatures as though those creatures were invisible. The target cannot detect creatures through blindsight, blindsense, tremorsense, truesight, or any other form of vision. The target can, however, feel, smell, and hear creatures

91-95
The target is blinded and deafened. Blindsight, blindsense, and tremorsense are unaffected

The target suffers disadvantage on all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks, as a permanent delay between their mind and their body is created

The target believes it is a regular lizard

The target's Intelligence, Charisma, and Wisdom scores all become 1

The target become subject of an Astral Projection spell, but cannot end the spell as an action, and cannot cross through portals

The target suffers a brain aneurism and drops to 0 hit points

RakiReborn
2016-01-08, 07:56 AM
I like the mindquake alot, since i love different effects at random within a spell. There are some things that i wish to point out within the spell:

You reach out to a creature, attempting to destroy some part of its mind. The target must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw. If the creature has a CR less than or equal to half of your character level, it makes the save at disadvantage. A creature that fails the save must roll a d100 and consult the following chart. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw takes 6d10 psychic damage.
INT saves are uncommon, so this makes it quite strong, and makes the average damage you deal with it considerably higher. Just some food for thought, it does go well with the fluff.

The target forgets how to breathe.
how does this work? Is it an instakill?

The target suddenly remembers everything that has ever happened in their life to the last detail. It is stunned for 1d4 minutes and suffers 410 psychic damage.
410 psychic damage? that is a lot, and can instakill most creatures from the MM, although they must make the save first. The stunned condition on top of it makes this even more powerful. for a 10% chance it is really powerful, considering you also have 10% chance for 15d10 (average 82,5 and no stun)

The target's Intelligence score is reduced by 1d12 + your casting modifier
awesome with more chars in the party that can cast this spell, but not a lot have it, or other INT save spells. Great versus INT casters. Like it. Just one thing - a bit strong if it reduces it indefenitally, and can render one person useless for the rest of its life.

The creature's perceptions change. It sees its current allies as enemies, and sees you and your allies as enemies.
You meant to say that it sees you and your allies as allies? Or that it sees everything as enemies?

The target loses proficiency with all weapons, armor, and shields
The target loses proficiency with all weapons, and cannot gain proficiency with any
The target loses proficiency with all armor and shields, and cannot gain proficiency with any
Fitting, but maybe a bit strong if indefenitally.

The target loses the spellcasting trait. If it does not have spellcasting, it suffers 15d10 psychic damage
Again nice, but a bit strong if indefenitally...

The target's brain stops sending signals to its body. It is paralyzed for 1d6 rounds +1
Might want to formulate it as 1d6+1 rounds

The target's eyes deceive them. They treat all creatures as though those creatures were invisible. The target cannot detect creatures through blindsight, blindsense, tremorsense, truesight, or any other form of vision. The target can, however, feel, smell, and hear creatures
Blindsense is based on hearing, not seeing, i think. Same with tremorsense.

The target is blinded and deafened. Blindsight, blindsense, and tremorsense are unaffected.
Seems odd, since they use sight and hearing for the features. I think the blindness/deafness spell does affect those features.

The target believes it is a regular lizard
Love it.

The target's Intelligence, Charisma, and Wisdom scores all become 1
Wow. This is strong. Even when not indefenitally, it is extremely strong. Also, i thought scores couldnt be set lower than 3? At least not for PC's?

WarrentheHero
2016-01-09, 03:56 AM
I like the mindquake alot, since i love different effects at random within a spell. There are some things that i wish to point out within the spell:
Before I address your individual critiques I want to thank you for the in-depth criticisms. Always useful to get feedback!

INT saves are uncommon, so this makes it quite strong, and makes the average damage you deal with it considerably higher. Just some food for thought, it does go well with the fluff.
Yeah, I considered this at the time, but I feel like it's not a huge deal. Compare it to the 8th-level Feeblemind, which offers an INT save, else your INT and CHA are set to 1.

how does this work? Is it an instakill?
This is actually the effect that inspired me to make the spell. They would start to suffocate and be unable to breathe on their own. The idea was that it's permanent, but in hindsight it should be temporary. I'll look into ways of bringing it in line.

410 psychic damage? that is a lot, and can instakill most creatures from the MM, although they must make the save first. The stunned condition on top of it makes this even more powerful. for a 10% chance it is really powerful, considering you also have 10% chance for 15d10 (average 82,5 and no stun)
That's actually supposed to be 4d10. Simple typo.

awesome with more chars in the party that can cast this spell, but not a lot have it, or other INT save spells. Great versus INT casters. Like it. Just one thing - a bit strong if it reduces it indefenitally, and can render one person useless for the rest of its life.
It is meant to be indefinite. Upon reflection, though, I should include that the minimum INT score is 1. If you're concerned about it rendering them useless, compare it to Feeblemind, which sets INT and CHA to 1 and offers a save every month. Considering that this is a 9th-level spell and it only has a chance of reducing a single ability score significantly, I feel it is fair-set. Should include that it can be cured with Greater Restoration or Wish. In fact, a lot of these conditions should be cured by that.

You meant to say that it sees you and your allies as allies? Or that it sees everything as enemies?
Think of it as a complete inversion. For example, imagine an Orc that gets this effect on it. If it were among multiple other Orcs and they were all fighting against the PCs, it would suddenly see the Orcs as enemies and the PCs as allies. It would continue to view the PCs as allies after combat, but it wouldn't necessarily see new Orcs as enemies, though depending on the GM, might see other ORcs it knew personally as enemies.

Fitting, but maybe a bit strong if indefenitally.
It is meant to be permanent, though with the caveat that they can re-gain these proficiencies in all the normal ways. I'll include that later. If we're concerned for strength, I keep comparing to other 9th-level spells such as Wish, which while not as powerful as it was in 3.5, is still basically the I-Do-What-I-Want spell.

Again nice, but a bit strong if indefenitally...
This is one of the ultimate save-or-sucks in 5e. Similar to previous, Spellcasting can be regained through normal means. Basically, the creature would have to start all over again in their spellcasting classes. I'll find a way to make that more obvious in the description.

Might want to formulate it as 1d6+1 rounds
Yeah, you're right.

Blindsense is based on hearing, not seeing, i think. Same with tremorsense.
The mention of eyes is mostly fluff; the main thing is that their senses can't detect creatures. And Blindsense is not necessarily based on hearing. Think of the Oozes, who have no sensory organs but still have Blindsense. Tremorsense I think is more like feeling vibrations in their feet.

The target is blinded and deafened. Blindsight, blindsense, and tremorsense are unaffected.
Seems odd, since they use sight and hearing for the features. I think the blindness/deafness spell does affect those features.
See previous for thoughts on Blindsight, Blindsense, and Tremorsense. The idea here is that this effect is a sort of inverse of the previous. Whereas the previous allowed for normal perception of everything but creatures, this destroys perception regardless, but leaves the more-or-less supernatural senses undisturbed. Also, Blindness/Deafness doesn't specifically mention any special sense.

Love it.
I'm glad. The inspiration for this particular effect came from an old AD&D book that included a bunch of supplementary spells, including Feeblemind. The Feeblemind description mentions that the new scores are about the same as an average lizard.

Wow. This is strong. Even when not indefenitally, it is extremely strong. Also, i thought scores couldnt be set lower than 3? At least not for PC's?
I sound like a broken record, but again it could be compared to the 8th-level Feeblemind which sets INT and CHA to 1. I figured that this is a 9th-level spell, and so should be better in its replication of this if it was going to replicate it, hence the WIS reduction. Especially since it's not at all guaranteed, being a 1% chance, I figured that it being a permanent reduction would be at least moderately justified. As for minimums, I'm not aware of any rules about scores minimums, except for the fact that point-buy's minimum is 8, and if you roll dice to determine stats, the inherent minimum is 3 since you roll 3d6.

Drakvor
2016-03-31, 05:12 AM
I like most of your spells.

Mind Quake looks like a very powerful ability, albeit a little bit random. I like most of the effects, but there are some that I think may be slightly overpowered.

For example, one of the effects is to lose the spell casting feature. If this is permanent, this would totally ruin any caster, as they would no longer be able to be effective in anyway. (You did say this could be restored by a wish spell.... but if you take away the ability to cast wish, they can't)

The other question is the one about the lizard. That sounds like fun, but how exactly does that work? Can the target's friends try to convince the target otherwise? Is there a way to revert it?

The spell has a very nice concept, but appears to be a little bit overpowered, and some of the effects are not very clear (mainly because they are unique).

One suggestion I would make is to create some sort of backlash on the caster as well. Something that will make the spell riskier to use, and hence make the caster use the spell only in actual 'save or die' situations.