PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classes with In-Chassis Casting

Sho
2016-01-06, 11:02 PM
Pathfinder question.

Aside from the Crimson Assassin and the Mage Hunter from Path of War, are there any other Prestige Classes that grant spellcasting (or even psionics) as part of the class chassis rather than progressing spellcasting from another class or source?

NamelessNPC
2016-01-07, 10:49 AM
The Warmind, using the Psywar list. Unless you enter after taking psywar levels, in which case you just progress the same manifesting

EDIT: Oh, and prophet of kalistrade (sanctified prophet in d20pfsrd)

Psyren
2016-01-07, 11:13 AM
Psychic Fist as well, since DSP is apparently okay.

Is there a handbook on all the PF PrCs? Someone should get on that :smallwink:

CharonsHelper
2016-01-07, 12:16 PM
Nvm - missed that it was Pathfinder.

Sho
2016-01-07, 07:11 PM
Everyone has my thanks for looking into my question. I guess this limited pool in prestige classes that provide their own in-chasis casting/manifesting leaves me wanting for more. Is there really concrete reasoning as to why the prestige classes have to suck in Pathfinder?

Bucky
2016-01-07, 09:07 PM
The later levels in the Pathfinder base classes generally have stronger non-casting features than their 3.5 counterparts, so you give up more when you take a prestige class. But Pathfinder's prestige classes haven't been powered up to compensate. They did, however, learn from some of the more broken mistakes in 3.5.

Florian
2016-01-08, 07:09 AM
Everyone has my thanks for looking into my question. I guess this limited pool in prestige classes that provide their own in-chasis casting/manifesting leaves me wanting for more. Is there really concrete reasoning as to why the prestige classes have to suck in Pathfinder?

You noticed that a PF PrC is not a straight power up but a change of direction and focus, right? You trade away your higher level core class abilities for another suit of powers and thatīs basically it.

Psyren
2016-01-08, 09:52 AM

In-Chassis casting generally sucks in 3.5 too, with a few notable exceptions like Ur-Priest and Chameleon. What you normally want instead is to advance the casting of your base class, especially since base classes (e.g. wizards, clerics, psions and druids) have better spell lists than the majority of PrCs with innate casting too. There are plenty of PF PrCs that advance base casting, and even one PF PrC that advances every class feature.

Florian
2016-01-08, 09:55 AM
In-Chassis casting generally sucks in 3.5 too, with a few notable exceptions like Ur-Priest and Chameleon. What you normally want instead is to advance the casting of your base class, especially since base classes (e.g. wizards, clerics, psions and druids) have better spell lists than the majority of PrCs with innate casting too. There are plenty of PF PrCs that advance base casting, and even one PF PrC that advances every class features

Please, donīt mention the Evangelist as SKR seems to be too stupid to understand how things work.

Psyren
2016-01-08, 10:04 AM
Please, donīt mention the Evangelist as SKR seems to be too stupid to understand how things work.

Why, what's wrong with it? I personally feel it's an excellent PrC; it provides a lot of utility (advancing all your class features with a solid chassis) and requires a meaningful cost from the player (feats, FCBs and roleplay via the Obediences.) It's strong without being broken, enables a lot of builds that wouldn't otherwise exist, and ties the characters more firmly into the world.

It also solves a problem I'd always had with 3.5 - the only real way to make a character "religious" mechanically was for them to multiclass into something that was explicitly divine. If you wanted to be a divine rogue for instance, you needed an actual theurge PrC that advanced sneak attack and cleric spells. With Evangelist, you get mechanical benefits for showing piety and being an active member of a church without getting actual spellcasting. You can be a divine-flavored alchemist, divine-flavored assassin, divine-flavored barbarian or anything else you can come up with, all without losing class features from your base class.

It's literally my favorite PrC they've created - it's brilliant. If a PrC is going to advance base class features, this is the way to go about it.