PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a homebrew archetype, the boon bard!

KingOfWhales
2016-01-07, 12:19 AM
The goal of this is to make an archetype that is completely devoted to buffing and assisting (booning) other players.

This is my first attempt at homebrew anything, please please PLEASE give me your opinion, do I need to change anything? Add anything? Clarify anything? Is it so bad that I should literally never play DnD again? I dunno, so tell me!

*College of boons
Bards that enter the college of boons focus are deeply invested in their music. Boon Bards have one goal and one goal only; to unlock the true secrets behind their magic and their music.

*Boon points
Upon entering the college of booning at third level, you gain the ability to use boon points. The number of boon points you have is equal to your bard level plus your charisma modifier. You regain all boon points after a short or long rest, or after a successful musical performance that lasts longer than fifteen minutes and is performed for an audience of more than ten willing participants.

Boons:
You can use your boon points to perform a number of actions. The target creature must be able to hear your music in order to benefit or be harmed by the boon effects.

*Boon of inspiration: When a creature rolls an inspiration die, you may use your reaction and two boon points to play a inspiring tune on your instrument to add 1d4 to that roll.

*Boon of rhythms: When a creature makes multiple attacks on their turn, you may spend your reaction and two boon points to play a rhythmic tune. Each attack gets +1 to its attack roll for every attack that came before it.

*Boon of booms: When a creature within ten feet of you attacks, you may spend your reaction and one boon point to distract the creature with a loud burst of random sounds from your instrument. Subtract 1d4 from all attack rolls made by that creature for the remainder of its turn

*Boon of jaunt: When a creature makes an acrobatics or athletics check, you can use your reaction and one boon point to play an quick and jaunty tune on your instrument. Roll 2d4 and add the higher of the two rolls to the check.

*Boon of lull: When a creature makes a check to see if it is charmed put to sleep, you may spend your reaction and one boon point to either play a lulling tune or a deafening crescendo to modify the check by 1d4.

*Boon of menace: When a you or creature attempts to frighten or intimidate another creature in combat, you can use your bonus action or reaction (respectively) and one boon point to play a ominous tune on your instrument. Subtract 1d4 from the target creatures save.

*Magical instrument
At level 6 you start to understand the true relationship between magic and music. You can spend one hour weaving magic into your instrument.
You can then spend one turn playing a song that assists surrounding creatures until the end of your next turn. attacking creatures have advantage against you while you are playing your instrument.
Pick one of the following abilities to embune your instrument with. An instrument can only have one magic ability at a time.

*Sounds of defense: All non hostile creatures that can hear your music gain +1 to AC
*Sounds of strength: all non hostile creatures add +1 to all damage die.
*Sounds of valor: All non hostile creatures have advantage against being frightened and charmed.
*Sounds of precision: all non hostile creatures gain +1 to attack rolls they make
*Song of health: All non hostile creatures gain temporary hit points equal to your charisma modifier while they are under the effect of your song.
*Song of speed: All non hostile creatures gain 10 feet of Additional movement .

Additional boons:
You also learn three Additional boons when you reach level 6
*Boon of piping: You play an entrancing tune on your instrument to attract small animals. For every boon point expended, you can attract eight nearby creatures of ⅛ CR, four with ¼ CR or two with ½ CR. The beasts follow you in a fashion that you mentally chose, cannot attack or perform any actions on your command and run away at the slightest bit of danger

*Boon of augmenting: You may use one boon point and a bonus action to weave magic into a weapon. That weapon is now counts as magical for the sake of resistances and attack rolls made by that weapon have the wielders proficiency bonus added to them. This ends after one hour or if you decide to end it early

*Boon of heroes: For three boon points you may take bonus action alongside a creature to collaborate with by playing a heroic tune on your instrument. When the creature makes a non magical attack you can add half your charisma modifier rounded up to any attack and damage rolls that the creature makes for that turn.

*Full musical awareness
At level 14, you understand the true, underlying connections between magic and music. The effects from your magical instrument last for one turn longer, you gain five extra boon points and are able to perform
the following boons:

*Boon of action: For seven boon points you can use your action to cast a bard spell and then cast the same spell on a different target.

*Boon of restoration: For ten boon points you can play a powerful song that restores energy. Pick one creature (that is not a boon bard), that creature gains all the effects from taking a long rest but the restoration of health and spell slots.

*Boon of magic: For three boon points per spell slot level, you can restore one spell slot of any creature with a song woven with you own magical energy. Cantrips count as level one.

*Boon of quickening: For seven boon points, you can use your reaction to quicken a spell cast by another creature. You play a powerful, magical tune on your instrument, if the spell cast takes an action to cast, it instead takes only one bonus action to cast.

KingOfWhales
2016-01-07, 12:23 AM
docs google com/document/d/1UvH-gDKdB8scspCx6DyOxwvV0il5GfdgL1N2uqEvgeU/edit?usp=docslist_api

Because this is my first post I'm unable to post links, but here is a link to a better formatted version on google docs, just add a period in between docs and Google, and Google and com.

Gastronomie
2016-01-07, 03:03 AM
Well there's a section for Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) so you might wanna check that out instead of here.
Also, in D&D 5e, "Boon" is the term for special types of Feats given for players who exceeded Level 20 exp, so you might wanna change it.

I like how the points recover after "a successful musical performance that lasts longer than fifteen minutes and is performed for an audience of more than ten willing participants" - original and nice.
However, I think the "full recover at short/long rest" is too much. Unlike the Monk with his Ki points, this is an archtype, not the main ability of the class, so prolly "full recover at long rests only" is better.

And not sure about how there's all these various options, to add. For instance, Ranger's "Hunter" archtype has to choose one ability out of three, and so does the Totem Warrior Barbarian. Even the Warlock has only 8 Eldritch Invocations at maximum, and when something as versatile as the Bard has more free options than the Warlock, well...it's probably too much.

One problem is that the bard is already a master of buffing. Instead of giving this bard archtype over a dozen abilities (which is not only too flexible, but also difficult for the players to constantly have ready), you could perhaps make it more simple and straightforward by giving it a power that, for instance, enables them to concentrate on 2 spells at a time (prolly overpowered for level 3 - make it 6 or 14, possibly with some restrictions on the levels of the spells), or something like that. Or you could make it like twinned magic and allow a buffing spell to buff two targets. And in which case maybe, it's better to spend Bardic Inspiration instead of these new points. Keeping track of multiple resources at the same time is rather complex, and it's more player-friendly if it''s kept nice and simple.

Speaking of which, how about making the Level 3 ability "you can recover BIs by performances"? Because that's already powerful enough of an ability, and fits the theme well. BIs are already powerful "buffs", so.

Sorry for being sorta scattered around with my opinions, but that's all I have to say.