PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warforged PC Race [PEACH]

WarrentheHero
2016-01-07, 01:46 AM
I'd like to start off by noting that this race heavily inspired by the 5e Warforged on D&D Wiki (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Warforged_(5e_Race)), to the point where I have taken some features and concepts directly from it. I'm just seeking to update and enhance it with some ideas and thoughts after some using it in a campaign. Some ideas/features are also heavily inspired by the Warforged listed in the Unearthed Arcana: Eberron that Wizards of the Coast has put out.

I'm not going to bother too heavily with the lore; most people understand what a Warforged is by now. This is mostly a pure mechanics (no pun intended) thread.

WARFORGED
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength and Constitution Scores increase by 1 each.
Age. Built to last, a Warforged's age is dependent mostly on the campaign setting and how dangerously each given Warforged likes to live. Some Warforged claim to be many thousands of years old.
Alignment. Warforged are typically built with a specific purpose in mind, which is often reflected in their alignment. A Warforged constructed to protect regular citizens, for example, might be Neutral Good, while one created to be a bodyguard to an individual may be Neutral.
Size. Warforged are often hulking individuals, standing between 6 and 7 feet tall and weighing between 200 and 400 pounds. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Living Construct. You are a Construct. You are immune to diseases and the poisoned condition, and cannot be put to sleep magically or otherwise, though you can be unconscious. You do not need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep, but you can safely ingest food and drink if you wish.
Nonliving Body. You cannot benefit from potions, including Potions of Healing. Additionally, you only recover half as much HP as normal during a short rest and you only recover half of your missing HP during a long rest, and magical healing only heals you for half of its normal value. The Mending cantrip can be used on you to restore 3 HP. You cannot recover more than your level x 3 HP this way between long rests.
Warforged Repair. You are proficient in a new type of Artisan Tool, the Warforged Kit. You or another creature proficient with a Warforged Kit may spend 8 hours using the kit to repair you, at the end of which time you regain all your missing HP and half of your Hit Dice as though you had taken a long rest. Using a Warforged Kit is not strenuous activity and can be done during a rest.
Forged for Vigilance. Instead of sleeping, you enter an inert state for 4 hours each day. While inert, you
are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal. You gain the benefits of a long rest after this time, with the exception of restored HP.
Forged for War. You cannot wear armor. Instead, your body has an outer protective covering that acts like armor. This bonus is determined by your subrace. This outer layer can be removed, losing the armor bonus but freeing the armor slot. The outer armor can be enchanted as normal. This bonus is natural armor no matter which subtype you are.

Battle Caster
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Spell-Proof Armor Your Armor class is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. Additionally, you have advantage on the first saving throw you make against a spell per short rest.

Scout
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 1.
Mobile Metal. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Build for Shadows. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Light Frame. Your Armor Class is 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Juggernaut
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Sturdy Construction. You have advantages against effects that would push or pull you, and against being knocked prone.
Heavy Plating. Your Armor Class is 17. This counts as heavy armor, and you have disadvantage on Dexterity(Stealth) checks.

EDIT LOG
1-7-16: Clarified that you can repair yourself with a Warforged Kit, how long rests work with Nonliving Body, and that Forged for War counts as natural armor.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-07, 11:30 AM
For the Juggernaut subrace, could a player take the Heavy Armor Master Feat to gain the 3 damage resistance?

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 12:48 PM
I like it, but there are some things that might need some extra explanation.

Nonliving Body. You cannot benefit from potions, including Potions of Healing. Additionally, you only recover half as much HP as normal during a short or long rest, and magical healing only heals you for half of its normal value. The Mending cantrip can be used on you to restore 3 HP. You cannot recover more than your level x 3 HP this way between long rests.
In a short rest, you recover half the amount you would normally recover from HD? For instance, a CON 16 fighter would recieve (1d10+3)/2 per HD? (rounded up or down?)
In a long rest, how does this work? Do you recieve half your missing hit points? Or a maximum of half your maximum hitpoints?

Warforged Repair. You are proficient in a new type of Artisan Tool, the Warforged Kit. A creature proficient with a Warforged Kit may spend 8 hours using the kit to repair you, at the end of which time you regain all your missing HP and half of your Hit Dice as though you had taken a long rest. Using a Warforged Kit is not strenuous activity and can be done during a rest.
This seems a bit odd. You are proficient in the tool to repair yourself, but others should repair you? You might want to say 'You or another creature' in the second sentence.

Forged for War. You cannot wear armor. Instead, your body has an outer protective covering that acts like armor. This bonus is determined by your subrace. This outer layer can be removed, losing the armor bonus but freeing the armor slot. The outer armor can be enchanted as normal.

Battle Caster
Spell-Proof Armor Your Armor class is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. Additionally, you have advantage on the first saving throw you make against a spell per short rest.

Scout
Light Frame. Your Armor Class is 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Juggernaut
Heavy Plating. Your Armor Class is 17. This counts as heavy armor, and you have disadvantage on Dexterity(Stealth) checks.

I like the idea of having a natural armor and not being able to wear normal armor. The only problem is that as a juggernaut, you cannot undo the restriction on stealth. This is a pretty big downside IMO... Unfortunately, i have no idea how to keep the fluff and get rid of the downside or make it at least a bit smaller...

Fast Jimmy also had a good point. Do the different types of plating count as different types of armor? If not, it would take aways some nice synergies that usually work with different types of armor (as the HAM feat)

All in all, great stuff, but it might need some minor thinking and wording :)

WarrentheHero
2016-01-07, 01:07 PM
For the Juggernaut subrace, could a player take the Heavy Armor Master Feat to gain the 3 damage resistance?
Yes. It is treated as heavy armor. Spell-Proof Armor and Light Frame, however, aren't given armor types, because it's not technically armor. It's natural armor. I'll update the text to make that somewhat more clear.

In a short rest, you recover half the amount you would normally recover from HD? For instance, a CON 16 fighter would recieve (1d10+3)/2 per HD? (rounded up or down?)
In a long rest, how does this work? Do you recieve half your missing hit points? Or a maximum of half your maximum hitpoints?
Exactly right about a short rest. For long rests, I'm not sure how to word it, but basically I want HP recovery through long rests to be done via a Warforged Kit. But it ought to be half your missing health that you get back without a Kit.

This seems a bit odd. You are proficient in the tool to repair yourself, but others should repair you? You might want to say 'You or another creature' in the second sentence.
I used the word "creature" to imply that you as a Warforged can repair yourself with the Kit. Maybe it was too vague; I'll update the text.

I like the idea of having a natural armor and not being able to wear normal armor. The only problem is that as a juggernaut, you cannot undo the restriction on stealth. This is a pretty big downside IMO... Unfortunately, i have no idea how to keep the fluff and get rid of the downside or make it at least a bit smaller...
You can take off the outer shell, as specified by the Forged for War trait. I think of it as a sort of Warforged-only armor. An alternative viewpoint could be the way that in cartoons, turtles get out of their shells a lot. They have a soft bit with no protection, and a shell, but the shell is still them. I'm not sure if that made sense.

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 01:30 PM
Yes. It is treated as heavy armor. Spell-Proof Armor and Light Frame, however, aren't given armor types, because it's not technically armor. It's natural armor. I'll update the text to make that somewhat more clear.
As light armor has no feat to make it better, that might be fine. If you, however, intend to make one available, you might want to call it light armor. And you say it is not technically armor, which i agree with, but it is kind of odd and inconsitent to treat only the heavy plate as armor. Just some food for thinking ;)

Exactly right about a short rest. For long rests, I'm not sure how to word it, but basically I want HP recovery through long rests to be done via a Warforged Kit. But it ought to be half your missing health that you get back without a Kit.
Might i suggest to add the example for short rests in the discription? That way it is less confusing.
For the long rest, you could also state that it doesnt regain hit points at all, but just the exhaustion reduction and HD recovery. This way you can only use the kit.
I do have another point regarding the kit. The one repairing him, does he get the benefits from its own long rest? Since you need to sleep at least 6 hours in a long rest to gain its benefits, i think this takes away their entire benefits from the long rest. (hope this is worded well enough, had to express my thoughts in a non-native language sometimes...)

You can take off the outer shell, as specified by the Forged for War trait. I think of it as a sort of Warforged-only armor. An alternative viewpoint could be the way that in cartoons, turtles get out of their shells a lot. They have a soft bit with no protection, and a shell, but the shell is still them. I'm not sure if that made sense.
Oops, missed a sentence 0:) Makes total sense, and the original wording is clear ;)

WarrentheHero
2016-01-07, 02:39 PM
As light armor has no feat to make it better, that might be fine. If you, however, intend to make one available, you might want to call it light armor. And you say it is not technically armor, which i agree with, but it is kind of odd and inconsitent to treat only the heavy plate as armor. Just some food for thinking ;)
I've been tossing around the idea of making Spell-Proof Armor light armor and making Light Frame medium armor, but at that point I become worried I'm incentivizing certain subraces into certain classes too directly.

Might i suggest to add the example for short rests in the discription? That way it is less confusing.
For the long rest, you could also state that it doesnt regain hit points at all, but just the exhaustion reduction and HD recovery. This way you can only use the kit.
That's not a bad idea.

I do have another point regarding the kit. The one repairing him, does he get the benefits from its own long rest? Since you need to sleep at least 6 hours in a long rest to gain its benefits, i think this takes away their entire benefits from the long rest. (hope this is worded well enough, had to express my thoughts in a non-native language sometimes...)
Actually, the rules for Long Rest don't require sleeping, and I included the phrase "Using a Warforged Kit is not strenuous activity and can be done during a rest" to allow for just such a circumstance. And it's also something that the Warforged themselves could do during the rest. And don't worry about your language skills, friend. They're better than 75% of people I interact with daily.

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 03:20 PM
Actually, the rules for Long Rest don't require sleeping, and I included the phrase "Using a Warforged Kit is not strenuous activity and can be done during a rest" to allow for just such a circumstance. And it's also something that the Warforged themselves could do during the rest. And don't worry about your language skills, friend. They're better than 75% of people I interact with daily.
Upon rereading the Resting part in the PHB, you have a point. I must however say it strikes me as odd that one can amend to botches and scratches in a big stone machine, and still become rested. This is completely apart from me thinking that it is odd that one doesn't have to sleep every day if following the rules as they stand... That is for a different discussion that i do not intent to start xD

dokugin
2016-01-07, 05:14 PM
One day I swear I will play as a war forged druid, TRANSFORMERS ROLL OUT!!!