PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Tiefling and Aasimar as templates.

Man on Fire
2016-01-07, 09:13 AM
Hi there.
Recently somebody in my rpg group suggest I'd run a D&D campaing. I'm currently brainstorming ideas and came up with one that seems particurally promising.
I'll make my players create characters as I usually do, but once they select race and class, I'll ask them to make few rolls that will determine first, whenever their character is Tiefling or Aasimar and then what subtype of said race they are. In other words I plan to give them being one of those two races as a bonus totheir usual race selection, effectively turning them into templates. The idea is that their characters will have that legacy awakened in them and it's something unheard of in the setting, so they don't know what it is and join together searching for the answers.

My question is however, if doing that won't inbalance the game and make them too powerful and if so, how should I balance that? We'll probably be starting around levels 1-3 or 3-5, I haven't yet decided.

The Vagabond
2016-01-07, 09:42 AM
Basically, the best method I can think of is to simply take the race points from them, and add them to the characters total. Ability Scores can probably be replicated by adding an extra 8 race points. I'd say the benefits are slightly weaker than the two levels it reccomends if they take a 20 RP bonus. Personally, I'd ajudicate them to be about a level higher (A SLA, +2 to two skills, outsider type, and some minor resistances) at level one is a fair amount, but not much after level 5 or so. I'd say +1 LA, with buyoff (Google it).

Xuldarinar
2016-01-07, 12:54 PM
There are a couple ways of doing it, the way I see it. Thats not to say disregard the advice above, but here are some options;

1 (Direct overlay): Apply the aasimar/tiefling racial traits (atleast those of the type of aasimar/tiefling) to the character on top of what they already possess.

2 (Minor ability): This method would require a couple rolls, but heres a thought; Roll to determine aasimar vs tiefling, perhaps also roll to determine type of aasimar/tiefling (flavor standpoint), then roll on the table of abilities that can replace an aasimar's/tiefling's spell-like ability and give it to them.

3 (Sorcery): Without the loss of feats bestow upon each character the sorcerer class as a secondary class giving them an appropriate bloodline. Alternatively, give the eldritch heritage feat as a bonus feat at 1st level associated with the appropriate bloodline.

4 (Race Trait): Minor as it is, perhaps allow them access to the race traits associated with their aasimar/tiefling type, perhaps as a bonus trait. This could be in addition to or instead of any of the aforementioned ideas.