PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighting Styles (PEACH)

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 09:35 AM
Hi GiantITP,

I have been homebrewing for a while now, to use in the future in a campain with friends i will DM in. The campain will have a LOT of homebrewing, including new classes, subclasses, fighting styles, spells, etc.

This thread is about the Fighting Styles, and i'd like to get some feedback to see if it is balanced and to the liking of others :) Here they come:

While wielding only one weapon in your hand, and nothing in the other, you gain a +2 to attack rolls using Strength with that weapon.
While wielding a versatile weapon in one hand, you gain a +1 to damage rolls with that weapon. While wielding a versatile weapon in two hands, you gain a +1 to AC and to attack rolls with that weapon.
While not wearing any armor and not wielding a heavy weapon and/or a shield, you gain a +1 to AC and Dexterity Saving Throws
While wielding a finesse weapon in one hand, and nothing in the other, you gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls using Dexterity with that weapon.
When attacking with an improvised weapon, you gain a +1 to damage rolls with that weapon.
Whenever you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you may draw another throwing weapon as part of the attack. You also gain a +1 to attack rolls when making a ranged attack with a throwing weapon.
PLEASE NOTE: Some of the fighting styles may be derived or completely used from fighting styles that i found on the internet. Since i have homebrewed A LOT, i have no clue who originally posted it anywhere. If one of the fighting styles is made by you, or derived from one by you, please tell me and add the URL, so i can note it in the description of the fighting style.

Edit: Striker and Finesse Fighter are meant for STR and Dex fighters apart. These do not stack. Added some words in the discription to make that clear.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-07, 10:38 AM
If your class/MC setup allows two Fighting Styles, do Striker and Finesse Fencer stack?

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 10:58 AM
If your class/MC setup allows two Fighting Styles, do Striker and Finesse Fencer stack?

It was meant to be different options for DEX and STR fighters. In my mind, STR goes for more damage, and DEX goes for more aiming. I will change the discription so that is clearer... thanks for asking!

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-07, 11:12 AM
It was meant to be different options for DEX and STR fighters. In my mind, STR goes for more damage, and DEX goes for more aiming. I will change the discription so that is clearer... thanks for asking!

No problem!

Does Weightless Warrior work with a race with natural armor, such as the Warforged?

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 11:33 AM
No problem!

Does Weightless Warrior work with a race with natural armor, such as the Warforged?

It was my intention to work with kinds of natural armor. Warforged is one of those, but also the Draconic Sorcerer. Just as the heavy armor guy can get a little bit tougher with the defense style, so can the no-armor guy now.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-07, 11:46 AM
It was my intention to work with kinds of natural armor. Warforged is one of those, but also the Draconic Sorcerer. Just as the heavy armor guy can get a little bit tougher with the defense style, so can the no-armor guy now.

Gotcha, very nice.

For the Improvised Brawler style, this is obviously designed to be perfectly paired with the Tavern Brawler feat.

However, improvised weapons still are on d4 damage, so you are making an average 2.5 damage per hit just 3.5 damage per hit. Not terrible if you are dead set on playing a improvised weapon fighter, but not much to bring a player to that playstyle over (any other) much better ones.

Have you given any thought to doing something additional like giving a chance to stun for one round? Visualize it like a movie, hitting someone over the head with a stool and having them go cross eyed.

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 11:58 AM
Gotcha, very nice.

For the Improvised Brawler style, this is obviously designed to be perfectly paired with the Tavern Brawler feat.

However, improvised weapons still are on d4 damage, so you are making an average 2.5 damage per hit just 3.5 damage per hit. Not terrible if you are dead set on playing a improvised weapon fighter, but not much to bring a player to that playstyle over (any other) much better ones.

Have you given any thought to doing something additional like giving a chance to stun for one round? Visualize it like a movie, hitting someone over the head with a stool and having them go cross eyed.

I did think about it, and indeed thought it might still be a bit underwhelming... The stunning chance would be too powerful IMO, so i am still thinking of something else to make of it. However, impovised weapons are always nice to be able to use, since you can pick them up anywhere. As long as there is a stick or brick around, you can make use of it. While with weapons, there is always the catch that you cannot use it, since you might not always have your weapon at hand. Besides that, i thought that if you used an improvised weapon that resembles a weapon, the DM could make it possible to use the damage die of that weapon for it (for instance a long thick treebranch can use the damage die of a quaterstaff), so that makes this a bit more useful.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-07, 12:25 PM
I did think about it, and indeed thought it might still be a bit underwhelming... The stunning chance would be too powerful IMO, so i am still thinking of something else to make of it. However, impovised weapons are always nice to be able to use, since you can pick them up anywhere. As long as there is a stick or brick around, you can make use of it. While with weapons, there is always the catch that you cannot use it, since you might not always have your weapon at hand. Besides that, i thought that if you used an improvised weapon that resembles a weapon, the DM could make it possible to use the damage die of that weapon for it (for instance a long thick treebranch can use the damage die of a quaterstaff), so that makes this a bit more useful.

I agree with DMs modifying damage to match up with similar weapons, but that does leave the player up to the mercy of the DM.

In theory, the versatility of making anything a weapon is great... but as someone who has played both an Eldritch Knight and a Bladelock, the ability to pull your weapon out of thin air (similar to being able to pick up anything to be a weapon) is very circumstantial. I had to work to find even a few uses of it and that was just a fluff class ability. To choose as a fighting style when even grabbing a d6 short sword costs the same as a lantern... it still just seems more for flavor or REALLY rare circumstances.

In all honesty, I'm thinking of most dungeons where a player would actually be hard pressed to find a chair or branch or even a flagon of ale to use as an improvised weapon.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-07, 02:01 PM
Hi GiantITP,

I have been homebrewing for a while now, to use in the future in a campain with friends i will DM in. The campain will have a LOT of homebrewing, including new classes, subclasses, fighting styles, spells, etc.

This thread is about the Fighting Styles, and i'd like to get some feedback to see if it is balanced and to the liking of others :) Here they come:

While wielding only one weapon in your hand, and nothing in the other, you gain a +2 to attack rolls using Strength with that weapon.
While wielding a versatile weapon in one hand, you gain a +1 to damage rolls with that weapon. While wielding a versatile weapon in two hands, you gain a +1 to AC and to attack rolls with that weapon.
While not wearing any armor and not wielding a heavy weapon and/or a shield, you gain a +1 to AC and Dexterity Saving Throws
While wielding a finesse weapon in one hand, and nothing in the other, you gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls using Dexterity with that weapon.
When attacking with an improvised weapon, you gain a +1 to damage rolls with that weapon.
Whenever you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you may draw another throwing weapon as part of the attack. You also gain a +1 to attack rolls when making a ranged attack with a throwing weapon.
PLEASE NOTE: Some of the fighting styles may be derived or completely used from fighting styles that i found on the internet. Since i have homebrewed A LOT, i have no clue who originally posted it anywhere. If one of the fighting styles is made by you, or derived from one by you, please tell me and add the URL, so i can note it in the description of the fighting style.

Edit: Striker and Finesse Fighter are meant for STR and Dex fighters apart. These do not stack. Added some words in the discription to make that clear.

When I make fighting styles I straight up say that only one can be used at one time, much like how people would view a martial stance. This way people can't munchin some stacking out of something that shouldn't stack.

Make sure to make these level up, maybe not for the basic players but a lot of people want to see the fighter "grow" and not just being able to do something a 2nd level fighter can do.

Plus some of your styles are specific and could have awesome mid and later level abilities.

I have a throwing weapon style that is based around fear (that's higher level) and when you hit with a thrown Weapon that target takes disadvantage on it's next attack against you. I think the fluff is that it "puts the feat of god(s) in them".

I could see yours becoming awesome higher level abilities.

Note

I went with more vague fighting styles so that players can make their own fluff with it but I like specific abilities too.