PDA

View Full Version : AMD is Back

mack962289
2006-08-14, 09:07 AM
:o A Modest Destiny is back. :o

http://www.squidi.net/comic/index.php

Token
2006-08-14, 11:53 AM
Really? I thought that guy decided he hated webcomics and everyone who wrote or read them?

Still worth a look though.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-14, 12:12 PM
That's a rather prejudist statement. Where's your proof? I think you're relying on hearsay Token, the kind of hearsay that hurts people.

Any, yes, it is cool.

Token
2006-08-15, 04:59 PM
I don't have any proof, because he's removed all his old blogs and news posts. I used to visit his site fairly regularly to read his blogs, and that's pretty much what he said himself in his final post.

squidi
2006-08-15, 06:17 PM
I don't have any proof, because he's removed all his old blogs and news posts. I used to visit his site fairly regularly to read his blogs, and that's pretty much what he said himself in his final post.
Am I allowed to disagree with you? It'd probably make you look like a jerk in front of your friends though, so I won't. Still, it sure would be swell if you thought before speaking, and if it's not too much trouble, to not state things as fact that are most certainly the diseased fiction of rumor, hearsay, and speculation.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-15, 09:16 PM
Completely out of interest, what program do you use to create the sprites, squidi?

squidi
2006-08-16, 12:09 AM
Completely out of interest, what program do you use to create the sprites, squidi?
If you are curious about how I make thepixel art (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art) in AMD, it is done in Photoshop CS with the pencil tool, pixel by pixel. The discussion of how I make sprites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_%28computer_graphics%29) is much more complex and would require a technical background.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-16, 12:15 AM
Ah, okay. Just curious as to what program was used. Microworlds has a feature where you can see the pixels up close, magnified 1600% to draw sprites.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-16, 12:41 AM
Dunno about any other programs, but I can also attest to the fact that Photoshop of any variety makes an excellent tool for sprite crafting.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-08-16, 04:16 PM
Am I allowed to disagree with you? It'd probably make you look like a jerk in front of your friends though, so I won't. Still, it sure would be swell if you thought before speaking, and if it's not too much trouble, to not state things as fact that are most certainly the diseased fiction of rumor, hearsay, and speculation.

MOD EDIT

But all silliness aside some people were in fact behaving like ass hats, plus Mrs. Howard recently had a baby. The ass hats are part of what made him quit as was the baby, though he was a bit unclear as to what contributed more. The important thing though is that AMD is back, and we can all bask in its pwnage, hopefully for a long time to come.

Token
2006-08-19, 09:12 PM
Okay, allow me to clarify what I meant.

First, what I said wasn't rumour or hearsay. It's what I remember him saying in his own post (if it wasn't exactly that then it was something not dissimilar). A sweeping statement, but not unjustified considering his... experiences. I was merely surprised that someone who had expressed those opinions was returning to his webcomic. Perhaps I should have been more explicit. When I type, I find myself saying things that could easily be misinterpreted. It's an unfortunate problem with trying to put the way I usually speak into writing (if it helps, I thought of myself as saying it in a mild questioning tone, rather than in a dismissive manner), and I apologise for any misinterpretation that may result. I'll take it as a lesson to reread my posts and check for what other people might think I mean.

Second, he didn't correct me. A correction would have been, "No, you're wrong. what I actually said was [insert misremembered statment here]. Oh, and you're an idiot." That would have also given him the moral high ground - always a useful thing to have - and I would have willingly conceded my mistake.

Thirdly, how would I check whether he's around to see my stupid, ill-thought-out comments? He's made 8 posts on this site in over a year. What are the odds they were all in threads about AMD? I'm willing to bet he searches the internet for forum posts about him so he can swoop in to argue his case MOD EDIT.

So there you have it. I hope I have cleared up any misunderstandings that may have resulted from my failure to explain what I meant.

squidi
2006-08-20, 05:49 AM
Token, this is twice you've accused me of behavior you have no proof of, nor reasonable excuse to make.

Okay, let's put you in your place then. You said that I hated webcomics and everyone who wrote or read them?

On the very last post I made before I shut down my website, I recommended both Order of the Stick and Gods of Arr-Kelaan to my readers to fill the void left by AMD's departure.

In my "the end" post, I spent a considerable amount of time thanking my readers - which I will reproduce in it's entirety now:

"I'd like to thank everyone who bought t-shirts or donated to this site. I don't praise many people, but you guys are just plain awesome. I'd also like to thank the forum moderators. They've had to put it with far too much crap during the lifetime of this comic; from the first forum rush at the hands of Mall Monkeys, they've gone beyond the call of duty in making the squidi.net forums somewhere special. I'd also like to thank the readers for finding the little comic I do to be something worth reading. Sometimes, I'll be reading some random videogame forum out there, and I'll see someone with an AMD avatar or quoting the comic and it really makes me proud. It may have finally gotten to the point where I can no longer stand being a public figure on the internet, but thanks to you guys, I don't consider these past two and a half years to be a waste"

If you were to read the entire post, you'd find a few choice words against a certain webcomic to remain nameless, as well as referring to the webcomic community of creators as a "quagmire", but in no way did I suggest that I disliked webcomics or hated everyone who wrote or read them. That implies that I don't like Rich (I do) or Order of the Stick (I do) or my fans (I do). So, your insinuation about my character offended me.

Now this post has been a lot longer than I had wanted, but I really would like you to stop making up crap about me. MOD EDIT

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-20, 06:29 AM
Thirdly, how would I check whether he's around to see my stupid, ill-thought-out comments? He's made 8 posts on this site in over a year. What are the odds they were all in threads about AMD? I'm willing to bet he searches the internet for forum posts about him so he can swoop in to argue his case MOD EDIT

Oh, yes, because he COULDN'T POSSIBLY read the forums for his own amusement. Nope. Forum lurkers don't exist at ALL, and an existing webcomic author could NOT be a forum lurker no matter what they say. Nope, not at all.

I'm amused as to how you blindly attack so ferociously against one who hasn't really done you any harm...yet, at the same time, it saddens me. Oh well.

Jibar
2006-08-20, 10:59 AM
Moooooooving on...
AMD back, very awesome.
The squidi site up and running, awesome.
Hello Squidi, nice to see you.
Query; Will we be seeing any more of that Zombies of the Living Dead thingy?

McDeath
2006-08-21, 04:52 AM
The Internet is like a mental hospital where all the doctors are insane.
Anyway, good to see AMD back up. I'm still waiting for a conclusion to War of Fate! Rar!

2006-08-21, 11:43 PM

I can't seem to find that. A link would be much appreciated.

Jerthanis
2006-08-22, 04:36 AM
I'm amused as to how you blindly attack so ferociously against one who hasn't really done you any harm...yet, at the same time, it saddens me. Oh well.

Hizzuh... wh... who? Zabi... whazza?!

Whoa, that statement fills me with a boggled mind... what about the several posters who ferociously attacked Token for his statement, "I thought that guy decided he hated webcomics and everyone who wrote or read them? Still worth a look though." which deals no damage to anyone, is neither a stick, nor a stone, and is hardly even a damaging word, as it even gives a moderate endorsement of the comic?

And then Token is viciously attacked, demanding "proof" and how it's "Hersay" that squidi quit because he hated webcomics. (of course ignoring the "I heard" part indicating that it ISN'T a solid fact.) Token responds that any proof he might have has been removed, and he's countered with passive aggressive insults... now, I'm a pretty big fan of squidi's earlier work, but I also remember a blog post about how Squidi was tired of doing webcomicry, and how it was time for a change and such. Perhaps hate is too strong a word for what that newspost seemed to imply but a strong sense of disdain, weariness and strong dislike of the webcomic community at large was evident to me. If that wasn't the intent, well, I guess Squidi's message was misinterpreted... kind of like Token's first post... hmm.

The only thing I can say is that this man is spot on:

The Internet is like a mental hospital where all the doctors are insane.

Because this thread is out of it's freaking MIND.

Also, Ruby's backstory doesn't interest me, and Squidi is MOD EDIT, insulting random people on forums who seem slightly apoligetic and, maybe could even be fans, that I don't think I can stand reading something he makes. Enjoy being back in webcomics Squidi, I hope your storylines continue to suffer from severe pacing issues and continue having at least three women who all seem like they're mirror images of the same irrational bitch with anger issues dominate every moment, because your fanbase apparently loves that. I won't be sticking around waiting for Maxim to show up any longer.

The Giant
2006-08-22, 07:33 AM
So here's the thing.

The Rules of Posting in this forum do not allow personal attacks. That includes name-calling, like "idiot" or "childish" or "dumb" or "jerk". It also specifically prohibits any request for another poster to stop posting on a topic. Are these things allowed elsewhere on the vast Intraweb? Certainly. Are they allowed here? No. Doing so will get your post edited at the least, and a warning at the most.

Therefore, play nice. Steer your further posts away from the topic of whether or not someone misunderstood the intent of another person from words they read a year ago and towards the subject at hand, which is the fact that a specific webcomic has returned from a long hiatus.

2006-08-22, 09:47 PM
So here's the thing.

The Rules of Posting in this forum do not allow personal attacks. That includes name-calling, like "idiot" or "childish" or "dumb" or "jerk". It also specifically prohibits any request for another poster to stop posting on a topic. Are these things allowed elsewhere on the vast Intraweb? Certainly. Are they allowed here? No. Doing so will get your post edited at the least, and a warning at the most.

Therefore, play nice. Steer your further posts away from the topic of whether or not someone misunderstood the intent of another person from words they read a year ago and towards the subject at hand, which is the fact that a specific webcomic has returned from a long hiatus.

Thanks Rich. That's why you're the boss.

squidi
2006-08-24, 05:51 AM
Also, Ruby's backstory doesn't interest me, and Squidi is MOD EDIT, insulting random people on forums who seem slightly apoligetic and, maybe could even be fans, that I don't think I can stand reading something he makes. Enjoy being back in webcomics Squidi, I hope your storylines continue to suffer from severe pacing issues and continue having at least three women who all seem like they're mirror images of the same irrational bitch with anger issues dominate every moment, because your fanbase apparently loves that. I won't be sticking around waiting for Maxim to show up any longer.
I'm sorry that Ruby's backstory doesn't interest you, but in all fairness, it's not just Ruby's backstory. This story bridges the gap between the first and second seasons of AMD, and I thought I would use it as the perfect opportunity to, for instance, show Maxim and Jenny at that happy part of their relationship that got skipped over. There's also going to be some stuff in there about how Maureen got out of jail, and some more background stuff about the political climate of the world at the time. Granted, I've only posted five comics so far, so you haven't seen that stuff yet.

As for the similar female characters thing, I agree - during the first season, at least. I think that over the years, the characters have grown their separate ways. I think there are significant differences between them. Maureen, for example, is more... I don't want to say masculine, but she's like the father figure of her household. She's paternal and mature. I think this was previewed well with her relationship with her brother, but is more distinct and characteristic in AMDF and AMDW.

Meanwhile, Jenny is coming to terms with being "Maxim and Jenny" rather than just Jenny. She's entered her first serious relationship and now that the initial thrill has worn off, it has been replaced with doubt and insecurity. The oncoming child represents something seriously threatening to her and she's trying to sabotage the relationship because of it. Where as Maureen entered a relationship with little hesitation and became and better, more mature person because of it, Jenny is trying to hold desperately on to that person that she was.

Ruby represents a character with no character development as of yet. She's basically a high school girl. She punches guys she likes. She punches guys she doesn't like. She's arrogant and self centered, and basically, nobody likes her and only tolerates her as long as she gets the job done. With the current storyline, I'm trying to deepen her character with this attempt, so we'll see how well that comes out.

To me, these three characters are very different and I try to write them to fit these profiles that I've built around them. That doesn't always come through because AMD has a LOT of main characters that don't get a lot of quiet time to be explored. I'm really enjoying doing this Chronicles thing because I can sit back and do this quiet time character stuff without having to connect story points across time and space (seriously, if you saw my charts for AMDW and AMDP, you'd see literally hundreds of details that have to be tracked and continually brought before the audience at the right time - amazingly, despite the complexity and epicness of the stories, I don't see a lot of confusion from my readers, so I'm hitting those notes at least).

Now, the core of the matter. You said something about pacing issues. I've read through the various AMD comics probably a few dozen times, and continue to do so as I try to retroactively fit details into the past without contradiction. Maybe I'm just too familiar with my own work, but if there is one place that I think I've improved, I think it is in the pacing. If you compare the sprawling, meadering, and frankly, mediocre AMD to the more complex and tightly woven plots that came later, I think the difference is amazing. For one thing, I started outlining.

But I'm curious as to what you consider to be pacing issues. If it's something innate in the somewhat unavoidable fact that the comics don't update but once a day, then there's not a lot I can do to help (in fact, since I update less frequently, the problem is only worse now). But if it is something related to the writing, like plot milestones not hitting frequently enough or cliffhangers being too frequent, then by all means, let me know so that I can attempt to address the issue in future attempts.

I know your post was just a "you suck, your comic sucks" attack with probably not a whole bunch of thought or care put into what you said and why, but my comic is returning after a LONG absence and if there is any way that I can improve my efforts, I would very much like to hear it.

squidi
2006-08-24, 06:04 AM
I would REALLY like to do it. I've got an outline here for probably the first and last third of ZotLD, and I think it is some exciting stuff. Not to mention that I just love zombie films and would kill to be able to contribute to my favorite genre. Zombie comics weren't quite so trite and overdone when I first came up with the project, but even now, I think ZotLD would be something that stands out.

But alas, I dug myself into this AMD hole. It's not that I hate AMD, but that I've promised the conclusion to AMDW and that'll take six to nine months (in my estimation) and it hasn't even started yet (the current thing shoudl take about two months, I'm thinking). So, we're looking at about a year of AMD before I can even think about doing another project.

Still, I'm glad that a comic which lasted for only three pages has made such a lasting impression :)

2006-08-24, 01:27 PM
Yeah... Is Zombies still up? I can't seem to find it...

Ruby represents a character with no character development as of yet. She's basically a high school girl. She punches guys she likes. She punches guys she doesn't like. She's arrogant and self centered, and basically, nobody likes her and only tolerates her as long as she gets the job done. With the current storyline, I'm trying to deepen her character with this attempt, so we'll see how well that comes out.

Nobody likes Ruby? I dunno, Hechter and Bart seem to like her. Then again, Hechter likes everyone and Bart has alot of guilt to account for being a wonderful person as of now. I dunno... it's your call Sean.

ElfLad
2006-08-24, 01:35 PM
Awesome, I'm a pretty big fan of your comics, Squidi.

I really like Starship Destiny the most, because sci-fi webcomics are so underdone compared to fantasy (slightly hypocritical, given my fantasy webcomic), and well-done sci-fi comics are even rarer.

And the comics from your newest arc are good, so it looks like you haven't lost your touch.

Gri
2006-08-25, 06:28 PM
Meanwhile, Jenny is coming to terms with being "Maxim and Jenny" rather than just Jenny. She's entered her first serious relationship and now that the initial thrill has worn off, it has been replaced with doubt and insecurity. The oncoming child represents something seriously threatening to her and she's trying to sabotage the relationship because of it. Where as Maureen entered a relationship with little hesitation and became and better, more mature person because of it, Jenny is trying to hold desperately on to that person that she was.

With all due respect, you have'nt really described different personalities (maybe very slightly), as much as different situations.
Your comic is still rather good imo. But that dude has some very valid points.

squidi
2006-08-26, 04:25 AM
I really like Starship Destiny the most, because sci-fi webcomics are so underdone compared to fantasy (slightly hypocritical, given my fantasy webcomic), and well-done sci-fi comics are even rarer.

I'm the same way. I actually hate fantasy, and yet I've written a fantasy comic for years. Don't get me wrong. I like AMD, but it doesn't feel like fantasy to me. It's the magic users. I hate magic users, which is why AMD features a thousand warrior/thief characters and thus far, only one actual magic user (Fluffy). AMD is more like Robert E. Howard's Conan stories - not in tone or style, but in the fact that it doesn't feel like fantasy to me because there's no stupid ass mages. Just Say No to Gandalf.

With all due respect, you have'nt really described different personalities (maybe very slightly), as much as different situations.
Hmm... I'm going to disagree with you on that. Just like mages don't do it for me, I'm not particularly enthralled with weak or useless females (which are usually only tolerated in a fantasy storyline because they've got some sort of magic super duper power which forces all the capable characters to put up with that crap).

However, strong female characters don't all share the same personality just because they are all smart and sarcastic. I think that yes, in the beginning, Maureen and Jenny were extremely similar (of course, because they were Maxim's type), but over time, their respective characters have grown in separate directions - especially during AMDW. If you read that again, you'll see Ruby is kind of ADD and almost completely unaware of danger or consequence, Maureen is parental and a cautious leader, while Jenny is secretive and suspicious These are their personalities now, not just their circumstances.

To give an example, if those three characters met a king or something, Maureen would bow and use the proper etiquette, while Jenny would probably just complain about having to dress up and roll her eyes at every stupid little thing, and Ruby would go through the motions until she became convinced the king was trying to feel her up and then, king or no king, that guy is getting some testicular trauma in the near future. Both Jenny and Ruby are self centered, but Ruby is all id while Jenny is all selfishness.

There's other female characters as well, which are all sort of strong characters. Mina is a bit naive, Lucile is a bit of a follower, Matilda is your typical slutty prostrating bag girl, and Giggles is... well... Hechter's type. My intent with Sapphire is to make her a big sisterly type, but sort of condescending and frustrating. I've got a few other characters waiting in the wings to be revealed in some distant time, like Ruby's other sister and the first woman to join the Thieves' Guild (that's going to be a good story if I ever get around to it).

ElfLad
2006-08-26, 05:19 AM
I'm the same way. I actually hate fantasy, and yet I've written a fantasy comic for years. Don't get me wrong. I like AMD, but it doesn't feel like fantasy to me. It's the magic users. I hate magic users, which is why AMD features a thousand warrior/thief characters and thus far, only one actual magic user (Fluffy). AMD is more like Robert E. Howard's Conan stories - not in tone or style, but in the fact that it doesn't feel like fantasy to me because there's no stupid ass mages. Just Say No to Gandalf.

That's not quite what I was trying to say. I don't hate fantasy, otherwise I wouldn't be doing a comic parodying Fantasy RPGs. I just think it's overdone, which is why I'm trying desperately to bring something new to the table. And since most webcomics are either fantasy or Slice-of-Life, I enjoy it when a comic has a different setting, like Starship Destiny or Antihero for Hire.

Gri
2006-08-26, 02:28 PM
Um yes. I hope you dont think that I disagree with you just because my simple mind can only imagine two nuances of female characters - weak and bitch. You havent convinced me that your characters are different enough.
But does that matter? Especially considering the fact that i kinda like your comic anyways.

squidi
2006-08-28, 12:44 AM
You havent convinced me that your characters are different enough.
I don't understand. How much is enough? My main concern is that you can tell the characters apart. AMD has between 30 and 40 reoccurring characters, probably half of which could be considered main characters of which you are expected to know and remember indepth details of their past and present. If I can have a frame with Maureen, Jenny, and Ruby talking to each other and the average reader can keep straight which one has kids, which ones are married to who, who runs the bar, who runs the warriors' guild, and so on - that's different enough.

Making AMD is like juggling a thousand balls at once, and if I can do it without dropping them, who cares if a few of them are similar colors?

The fact that you are complaining about a couple of similar characters and pacing issues (though this has yet to be explained in more detail) and NOT plotholes you could drive a truck through, or plot twists you saw coming a mile away, or cliched and over used plot devices, or a confusing sequence of events, or unknown character motivations, or characters that do illogical or against their character actions, or ripping off another comic or book or movie - well... I'm the best damn juggler in the world....

2006-08-28, 11:02 AM
I use mages and other casters (yes, in my fantasy universe there is a difference between a mage and say a wizard or alchemist) in my writing simply because of the sort of world it's set in. If people didn't learn magic they'd all get eaten by a mountain gigas or something horrbile like that. In addition to that, I tend to stay away from weak female casters. Yes, one of the characters introduced very early in the first book is a woman who knows curative magic. But she also knows Wind Magic, and is possibly the most self-reliant (and occasionally condescending) female in the book. She had to learn healing spells before she left home, as she's be far away from any healers her rich teacher was paying for. I don't like to think of her as the group healer really though. She's more the group leap-into-the-rafters-and-jump-on-the-giant-monsters-head kinda person. A rogue or thief, for lack of a better word. I guess what I'm getting at, is that a good spellcaster character should not be useless without their magic.

But I've rambled enough. Back to AMD. I've always just liked Ruby cuz she's funny. She's very quotable and she's a good character for people who are... unsettled by her behavior to bounce off of comedically (Hechter, Bart, Maureen etc.).

Gri
2006-08-28, 09:15 PM
EDIT: You have convinced me. You are the greatest juggler. Ever. :)

Jerthanis
2006-08-29, 01:28 PM
I guess I just don't like violence humor, so when the punchline to a joke is a violent act or a threat of a violent act, I roll my eyes annoyed... and a quick review of Season 3 has such gems as,

Lucile: "If you don't shut up I'll string you up by your weiner and play pinata." (wait, wasn't she supposed to be naive and cheerful?)

Jenny: "If you tell anyone, I'll kill you... twice" (Like the 'twice' part makes it ANY more clever)

Mina: "Requesting permission to beat prisoner into pain filled stupor." (Mina's actually fairly good at restraining her aggression, but I was going for completion here)

Ruby: "Start the show or I start hurting people." (typical reflexive violent threats, par for the course I suppose)

Maureen: "..." Actually, she seems much better than she used to be from a violence and threats standpoint. I guess becoming a mother is the only thing that stops women from acting like children in AMD-verse.

I guess in my worldview, weak means someone who isn't brave enough to express themselves, bitch is someone who can't express themselves exept through violence or insults.

And about the story dragging, how many comics were there between "That's not grinding, it's drilling." and "We'll find them, we'll find them all." and what went on between there? Jokes about using Morning sickness as a weapon, jokes about pooping on people, an extended "find the small object in a closet while silly undead guy makes jokes" set, and an entire comic about Giggles putting on armor. How many comics were there in the ENTIRE next set, where the characters essentially learn nothing besides that Maureen's brother is the pope and do nothing besides undo what had happened so far in the War of Fates arc, and nothing happens besides Ruby becoming a vampire (and then becoming NOT a vampire anymore right after)

Although I must give you credit for making comics which are each about twice the length most webcomics do, and updating more often. It really must be a lot of work... I just think the pacing on War of Fates could be sped up a little without hurting anything.

Waf
2006-08-29, 09:46 PM
I for one have enjoyed the most recent chapter of AMD. Ruby was originally one of my least favorite characters, but she has improved a lot. Regardless, I'm glad your back Squidi.

squidi
2006-08-31, 06:32 AM
I guess I just don't like violence humor, so when the punchline to a joke is a violent act or a threat of a violent act, I roll my eyes annoyed...
That is a fair complaint. I do tend to overuse such things. I'm not sure I find it quite as offensive as you do, and as a writer who needs to end each and every one of my 800+ AMD pages with some sort of punchline, I find it pretty invaluable.

Maureen: "..." Actually, she seems much better than she used to be from a violence and threats standpoint. I guess becoming a mother is the only thing that stops women from acting like children in AMD-verse.
I'm glad you noticed, but I think you last comment was perhaps a tad bit unfair. Maureen has been in every episode of AMD and has had by far the most character development of any character. She's matured because she's in a real relationship and is a parental figure, and is also in a rather bad situation that requires her to be an adult. I think Maxim has similarly matured between AMD and AMDW, which is why these two characters are the de facto leader of the rebels.

Actually, as a side note, I'm writing old-school Maureen in the comics I'm doing now, and I'm hitting all sorts of situations where I go, "oh, she wouldn't say that back then, she'd be more like this". I'm actually rather surprised how much her character really has changed from the desk clerk who threatened to eat people's hearts out with a spoon.

I guess in my worldview, weak means someone who isn't brave enough to express themselves, bitch is someone who can't express themselves exept through violence or insults.
Well, Ruby and Jenny are both bitches by design. Not sure I'd say the same of the others.

And about the story dragging, how many comics were there between "That's not grinding, it's drilling." and "We'll find them, we'll find them all." and what went on between there? Jokes about using Morning sickness as a weapon, jokes about pooping on people, an extended "find the small object in a closet while silly undead guy makes jokes" set, and an entire comic about Giggles putting on armor. How many comics were there in the ENTIRE next set, where the characters essentially learn nothing besides that Maureen's brother is the pope and do nothing besides undo what had happened so far in the War of Fates arc, and nothing happens besides Ruby becoming a vampire (and then becoming NOT a vampire anymore right after)
Hmm... I think I'm going to disagree with you. Not that there wasn't filler. Doing a daily comic is not an easy thing and the temptation to throw together something quick is always there. That being said, AMDW has by far less filler than anything else I've done.

The townsfolk were kidnapped - there were a LOT of townsfolk (I designed like 20 different characters for that scene, and repeated most of them a few times) and it would take a lot of time and noise to move them. For the plot to work, the good guys couldn't find out that the townsfolk were all gone until it was too late - which was good because the townsfolk were in an assumed safe location meaning they wouldn't be checked on, and the good guys were otherwise occupied by a rather large invasion force on their doorstep. I think most readers would rather see how that was resolved before starting the next plot thread.

As for the actual rescue, a lot of plot elements were introduced. For instance, Preacher Bart was in the last comic of AMD due to a little foreshadowing. That was explained. Zanzabar was cut in half and turned into a vampire in AMDF, and that plot thread was also played out. Getting Maureen to the Black Knight's castle, introducing the dragon guards, setting up details about the rail system - how the trains work, what's in them, what they were used for, the moving of Lucile and Gilly and hints of their involvement with the Black Knight, Mina heading off into town to get the Professor's book with the writing from the dark age in it, Jenny and Maxim going to the Black Knight's castle, Jenny's backstory...

I think a LOT actually happened there. It may not be completely obvious because you don't know that character X has to be at location Y in time for event Z, but I've got a LOT of chess pieces to move around on the board, and the section of the comic you complained about did a pretty good job of setting it all up - while having a rather dynamic and hopefully thrilling escape sequence that was unlike anything that had been in the comic before it.

And about Ruby not being a vampire... well... nah, I'd better not say anything. Let's just say that thread left on an ambiguous note for a reason.

Although I must give you credit for making comics which are each about twice the length most webcomics do, and updating more often. It really must be a lot of work... I just think the pacing on War of Fates could be sped up a little without hurting anything.
I'm not sure it's possible to speed up something like AMDW any more than it was written considering how I intended to tie up every single plot thread at the end of it. Actually, with AMDP, I'm still tying up those plot threads AND a few new plot threads introduced through filler comics in AMDW. I tell ya, it's never ending. It will be so nice to be done...

EmeraldRose
2006-08-31, 11:12 AM
Squidi, I'm glad the comic is back! I haven't even checked in ages to see if you were going to continue it or not. Hope to see lots of great action and killing and stuff :D

Jerthanis
2006-09-02, 05:52 PM
I'm glad you noticed, but I think you last comment was perhaps a tad bit unfair. Maureen has been in every episode of AMD and has had by far the most character development of any character.

Yeah... that was kinda unfair. I think there's a kernal of truth there, but really, there's plenty of people who live in our real life who don't mature until they have children, where they discover they can't be immature anymore. I guess also that after going through AMDF and seeing Maureen grow up, then seeing Jenny come back and act even more like a bitch than she seemed to leave off acting like was a bit of a shock.

As for the actual rescue, a lot of plot elements were introduced...

Yeah, I guess I can see how while going through a story you can't see where it's going, but certain aspects, like Maureen having to go after Lucile and Gillian seemed, when I read it, like a "Sorry, but your princess is in another Castle" moment. The smaller plot thread tie-ups were okay I guess, but Zanzabar coming back, then abruptly dying felt a tiny bit anticlimactic. It felt like he was a more important villain than that...

I guess the biggest way I felt cheated by the second arc of the AMDW was that the villagers being kidnapped was built to be a huge deal, and seemed like the bleakest of times for our heroes, but then in relatively short order, only two characters were able to get them all back.

Being reminded of some of the plot threads introduced in AMDW reminded me of Maxim's Peanut Butter Plan of Hill town... that'd be fun to see how that plays out.

squidi
2006-09-03, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I guess I can see how while going through a story you can't see where it's going, but certain aspects, like Maureen having to go after Lucile and Gillian seemed, when I read it, like a "Sorry, but your princess is in another Castle" moment. The smaller plot thread tie-ups were okay I guess, but Zanzabar coming back, then abruptly dying felt a tiny bit anticlimactic. It felt like he was a more important villain than that..

Hmm... I never really intended for Zanzabar to be a particularly important villian. I mean, he does kick Ruby's ass single handedly, but the real villian is the Black Knight (not yet introduced) and Fluffy (who isn't really THE villian so much as A villian).

I guess the biggest way I felt cheated by the second arc of the AMDW was that the villagers being kidnapped was built to be a huge deal, and seemed like the bleakest of times for our heroes, but then in relatively short order, only two characters were able to get them all back.
I can understand that, but in all fairness, that train sequence by far more action packed and complex than anything done in AMD up to that point, even the zombie horde attack earlier. From my perspective, getting the townsfolk back was anything but painless :)

Being reminded of some of the plot threads introduced in AMDW reminded me of Maxim's Peanut Butter Plan of Hill town... that'd be fun to see how that plays out.
That's sort of a running joke, but I think it is kind of a stale one. Doing a Chronicles episode on the peanut butter plan would probably far more interesting that whatever value it has as a bad ongoing joke. I'll consider it...

Huxley_Bard
2006-09-03, 02:44 AM
I too am glad that AMD is back... (I signed up just to say so...) AMD is one of the best webcomics I read...

But I must say that I am extremely disappointed the blog was taken down... I enjoyed reading Seans philosophical and political blogs far more than the comics (and not just to critisise them, as some people did). I would usually read the blogs before even looking at the comic.

Now we have some pressure groups pushing for flag burning to be outlawed in Australia (lucky Australia is more sceptical of that kind of stuff than America), and I cant even go read Sean's writing on flag burning...

Oh well squidi, hopefully you decide at some point that there is some issue you have to speak out on, and you bring the blogs back... Its sort of happened before... ;)

squidi
2006-09-04, 11:44 PM
I too am glad that AMD is back... (I signed up just to say so...) AMD is one of the best webcomics I read...

But I must say that I am extremely disappointed the blog was taken down... I enjoyed reading Seans philosophical and political blogs far more than the comics (and not just to critisise them, as some people did). I would usually read the blogs before even looking at the comic.

Now we have some pressure groups pushing for flag burning to be outlawed in Australia (lucky Australia is more sceptical of that kind of stuff than America), and I cant even go read Sean's writing on flag burning...

Oh well squidi, hopefully you decide at some point that there is some issue you have to speak out on, and you bring the blogs back... Its sort of happened before... ;)
I still write blogs on the site. Check below the comic. What I don't do is keep an archive of blogs. I believe that the internet has an extremely poor sense of time and perspective, such that something written four years ago is treated as if it were written yesterday. In fact, just recently I had someone try to convince people that I was stirring up trouble again by posting a comic that was almost two years old.

I'm almost thirty and I'm a father. I don't really feel like picking bar fights anymore. I don't need that kind of attention to feel like I exist. But that wasn't always the case, and a lot of those blogs were very aggressive and purposely offensive. If you were to read those blogs today, it would paint an incorrect picture of who I am today versus who I was when I wrote them, even if the sentiments are largely unchanged.

So, I'll still write blogs at the bottom of the front page - they just won't stay around long. Nobody wants to be stuck at one moment in time except the those too stupid too appreciate growing old.

theblackmantis
2006-09-09, 08:46 PM
wow...both rich burlew and sean howard...my head is sloding...

McDeath
2006-09-14, 02:59 AM
Squidi, thanks for coming back and starting AMD up again. I heard about what happened before, and I'm glad you are (at some point) going to finish War of Fate - and maybe even Omega - in spite of...previous events.

Thanks, man. And good luck with fatherhood.

I have seen the gods at their dice games, and martians betting on our IQ...

Jibar
2006-09-17, 12:50 PM
I just remembered something.
On that fan collection of stuff put together while you ahd the site down, they had a text file that appeared to spoilers for Hechter and Hubert, and Hubert apparantly died. But he was shown alive at the end of the first series.
That ahd me rather confused.

Ing
2006-09-18, 02:32 AM
Ok so the comics back up but the archives are not right?

squidi
2006-09-18, 03:35 AM
I just remembered something.
On that fan collection of stuff put together while you ahd the site down, they had a text file that appeared to spoilers for Hechter and Hubert, and -spoilers omitted-
That ahd me rather confused.
Some things have changed in my master plan since that text file was written, so don't accept it as gospel.

Ing, my website has all the comics on it. It's missing a few extra features, but every single AMD, TSD, and Tales of the Squidiverse comic are online.

Ing
2006-09-18, 12:21 PM
Some things have changed in my master plan since that text file was written, so don't accept it as gospel.

Ing, my website has all the comics on it. It's missing a few extra features, but every single AMD, TSD, and Tales of the Squidiverse comic are online.

Yes I see, I was confused cause I expected a continuation of the main story which was left rather open ended at the last chapter, rather than a flash back origin story.

Hydrogelic
2006-09-21, 07:35 AM
Ok so the comics back up but the archives are not right?

Use enderAK's archive if squidi's isnt up (which i think it is) .

Gri
2006-09-22, 05:15 PM
I like these new ones. : )

Ing
2006-09-22, 10:40 PM
I like these new ones. : )

Yes but I do want to get back to the main story after awaiting so long.

Hydrogelic
2006-09-23, 05:10 AM
Yes but I do want to get back to the main story after awaiting so long.

Patience is a virtue Ing ; One which personally i lack , but a virtue nonetheless .

theKOT
2006-09-23, 05:12 PM
That's sort of a running joke, but I think it is kind of a stale one. Doing a Chronicles episode on the peanut butter plan would probably far more interesting that whatever value it has as a bad ongoing joke. I'll consider it...
Oh please don't. Much like Calvin&Hobbes' "noodle incident", some things are better left to the imagination. As Bill Waterson put it: "(the Noodle Incedent) is left to the reader's imagination, where it's sure to be more outrageous."

Ing
2006-09-29, 03:26 AM
Great return to the main story squigy!

I approve

Saithis Bladewing
2006-09-29, 11:36 AM
Return to the Main Story = Victory for Squidi. Two thumbs up for the restart to a storyline tied with two others for my favourite. ;D

ElfLad
2006-10-05, 11:50 PM
Geez, Squidi, I'm 17. Way to alienate your fanbase.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-06, 11:38 AM
If the 17 year old population can't see the satire in that post, I personally wouldn't mind if he alienated them. Me? I was 17 not too long ago. Just about two months ago, in fact. I laughed at that post now, and I'm exactly the same as I was two months ago, so I'd laugh at it then too. Don't take things so seriously. ;D

ElfLad
2006-10-06, 12:30 PM
I was also being sarcastic. I found it funny, and I was just joking in my last post.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-11, 08:39 AM
HIS HOLY EXCELLENCY, POPE MORRIS, HAS RETURNED TO US! ALL HAIL! ALL HAIL! ;D

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2006-10-11, 09:17 PM
The good pope also seems to have worked out his 'my mind is here... and now it's not' problem. Or at least he's speaking coherently again.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-12, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure that calling yourself 'Pippity Bobo' and 'Squeegums McCoy' qualifies as sanity, my friend. :P

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2006-10-13, 08:19 PM
Sanity knows no name brands.

Kite_Exeter
2006-10-15, 12:03 AM
Mr. Howard, I just wanted to say that your comic is one of the few that I read religiously. I almost threw my computer out the window when I heard you were not going to write anymore

( Since I hate not finishing things I am in the middle of )

But now, since you have come back, all is well.

Moving on...

You really should do a chronicles for the Peanut Butter plan of Hill Town ( PBPoHT ), so that when I make references to it I'll know what I'm talking about.

On a side note, is Starship Destiny ever coming back? It would be nice to see that finish up, or at least tie all the lose ends together.

Much love, yo.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-20, 06:35 AM
*Ahem.* Ragdoll, we left that behind after the Giant issued an unofficial warning to the entire thread, and it's probably not wise to bring up old topics. Why can't we just leave it in the past? What happened happened. Judge people on what they do now, not what they have done in the past.

Margerine A Low Fat Cannibal
2006-11-14, 06:39 PM

Actually, Penny Arcade forum members sent him letter bombs, and his toddler child almost got it's face blown off, so he decided to withdraw from the internet so they'd stop.

(Probably a load of ****e, but it sounded a much more plausable than " I dislike teh internets, waah", especially since PA forum members tend to be vicious little retards.)

I'm glad he's back, funny guy.

This is of course, as far as I know, I don't really care about the whole PA story, as long as he's back to making comics, the past can shove itself.
I wish he'd cram this Zombies rubbish though and get back to decent AMD storyline. Or maybe the site is just fritzing on me, but all I can see nowadays is the old Atheist comics and the old Zombies stuff.

He always was one of my favourite, if not my favourite webcomic, the same went for all my friends who read any sort of webcomic, anyone I introduced them to would just sit there and read the whole archive as fast as possible.
The art style is great, and original, I've done bits of pixel art myself, and it's bloody hard to get that kind of detail.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-11-14, 07:04 PM
Actually, Penny Arcade forum members sent him letter bombs, and his toddler child almost got it's face blown off, so he decided to withdraw from the internet so they'd stop.

(Probably a load of ****e, but it sounded a much more plausable than " I dislike teh internets, waah", especially since PA forum members tend to be vicious little retards.)

I'm glad he's back, funny guy.

This is of course, as far as I know, I don't really care about the whole PA story, as long as he's back to making comics, the past can shove itself.
I wish he'd cram this Zombies rubbish though and get back to decent AMD storyline. Or maybe the site is just fritzing on me, but all I can see nowadays is the old Atheist comics and the old Zombies stuff.

He always was one of my favourite, if not my favourite webcomic, the same went for all my friends who read any sort of webcomic, anyone I introduced them to would just sit there and read the whole archive as fast as possible.
The art style is great, and original, I've done bits of pixel art myself, and it's bloody hard to get that kind of detail.

Well, due to recent financial troubles he has had to change his comic making habits, i think he finished up the first part of AMD's end and did some AAA for a while, and now is going to do the zombie thing instead for a bit.

Also that letter bomb thing is likely BS, he'd have sued or something otherwise, he left because the webcomic community ( the majority at least) gave him no respect because of his spat with PA/arrogance/strong opinions and because a bunch of vocal fans couldn't deal with the fact that he had a kid now and couldn't make comics as much/at all.

Margerine A Low Fat Cannibal
2006-11-14, 07:09 PM
It sounded plausible at the time. :P

Waf
2006-11-17, 01:48 AM
It's really funny, I'm a BCMB (AKA Biology) Major in college, and one of the things your learn about in genetics is there is a procedure called the "Maxim-Gilbert sequencing method" that is used to find the order of the base pairs in a strand DNA. (You know Thymine, Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine). The neat thing is the method involves extensive DNA cloning, which is funny since Maxim is a clone of Gilbert. I actually asked Squidi if they were named after this procedure awhile back. He said they weren't, but it is a funny coincidence.

Ing
2006-11-19, 01:16 AM
It's really funny, I'm a BCMB (AKA Biology) Major in college, and one of the things your learn about in genetics is there is a procedure called the "Maxim-Gilbert sequencing method" that is used to find the order of the base pairs in a strand DNA. (You know Thymine, Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine). The neat thing is the method involves extensive DNA cloning, which is funny since Maxim is a clone of Gilbert. I actually asked Squidi if they were named after this procedure awhile back. He said they weren't, but it is a funny coincidence.

I noticed that to, being a Animal Science major, but I just assumed it was intentional...the coincidence just makes it even more awesome.

ufo
2006-11-23, 09:37 AM
This webcomic is so god damned original!

The following reveals parts of the story:

In most stories, the main character is often of another race and so on, but never like a jewel. Furthermore, it's not often the young main characters use eyepatches + all the other completely original stuff

great job Squidi! 102!

Moechi_Vill
2006-11-29, 02:00 AM
Saithis Bladewing: What he does now is decent and good.

Ing
2006-12-12, 01:39 PM
I Have to say I'm enjoying the zombie story. It's a very original take on the genre and the idea of a bus load of elderly folk catching the disease rings with me. A very nice set up, can't wait to see how it plays out.

wodan46
2006-12-12, 06:35 PM
I respect you, Squidi, and I'm glad your back. :smallbiggrin:

It makes me sad when webcomics get embroiled in pointless flame wars. :smallfrown:

Reading webcomics is a privelege those wonderful few have provided, not some right, and it would do us all a bit to remember it. :smallconfused:

If you can't stand some webcomic author's wild views, no one is forcing you to read his (or her) views, and ditto for the comic. Don't waste your breath :smallmad:

Once again, yay for AMD's return. :smallbiggrin: good luck Squidi, we missed you. :smallsmile:

Broadus
2007-03-24, 12:21 AM
I know I'm three months late saying this, since the last post was such a long time ago, but HOORAY! I remember reading AMD back in the day, and it was disappointing to have it all close down suddenly, especially in the middle of a plot.
I hope Squidi keeps up the good work with that comic!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-24, 10:58 AM
Saithis Bladewing: What he does now is decent and good.

Huh? I'm being spoken to having not posted here for months? o.O;;;

I'm very confused. What do you mean by that post?