PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rakireborn's Spells for DracoKnight's Spell Contest I

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 09:54 AM
Hiya,

These are the homebrew spells i made that i'd like to submit to the Spell Contest ^^
I have A LOT of homebrew spells, many of which are derived or copied from other people on the internetz. These however should be completely made by me. If by any chance one of them is made by someone else before, please let me know, so i can delete the spell from entry.

3rd level Evocation (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
Lightning jumps around a creature you see within range. The targeted creature must make a dexterity saving check. The creature takes 4d8 lightning damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful save. If the target fails the save, it becomes static:
If another creature comes within 10 feet of the original target, both have to make a dexterity check. Both creatures get 2d8 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful save. If the original target fails the save, it remains static. If it succeeds, the save, it stops being static.
At higher levels:
For each spell slot above 3rd, the base damage increases by 1d8.
3rd level illusion (Wizard, Warlock)
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V,S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You fold your hands together, with your index fingers pointing upwards, the tips touching each other. You show one creature within reach that you can see horrible visions of unspeakable pain. The target must make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target suffers 2d10 psychic damage and becomes frightened for the duration. As long as the target is affected by this spell, you can use a bonus action on subsequent turns to return the image to its mind, dealing 2d10 psychic damage. The target must make a wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the spell and its effects with a succesful save.
At higher levels:
If you cast this spell from a 5th or 6th level slot, you can target up to two creatures. If you cast this spell from a 7th or 8th level slot, you can target up to three creatures. If you cast this spell from a 9th level slot, you can target up to four creatures.
Yes, this is a Naruto reference ;P
7th level Transmutation Spell (Sorcerer, Wizard)
Range: 60ft
Components: V, S, M (a black crystal worth at least 500gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Choose a point within reach. While you are concentrating on this spell, the floor becomes 1ft deep lava in a 30ft radius around that point. When you cast this spell, and each time a creature starts its turn in the area of effect, it must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 6d8 Fire damage on a failed save, or half that much on a successful save.. The lava is considered difficult terrain.
3rd level Illusion (Wizard, Bard)
Range: Your remaining movement speed
Components: M (a melee weapon you are proficient in)
Duration: Instantaneous
You make four illusions at each side of a creature within reach (one originating from yourself). Each of those illusions charge towards the target, while you seem invisible to it. Make four melee spell attacks, dealing your weapon die in Psychic damage on each hit. Creatures with Truesight or Blindsight are unaffected by this spell.
5th level Conjuration (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock)
Casting time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V,S,M
Duration: 1 minute
You conjure five elemental orbs of one element (water, fire, stone, lightning). When you get hit by an attack from a creature within 60 feet of you, you may use your reaction to hurl one of the orbs to the attacker and make a ranged spell attack against it. If the attack hits, it deals 2d8 damage of the type of the chosen element of the orb. (water – cold, fire – fire, stone – bludgeoning, lightning – lightning)
At higher levels:
When cast as a 7th of 8th level spell, the orbs deal 3d8 damage of the chosen type. When cast as a 9th level spell, the orbs deal 4d8 damage of the chosen type.

EDIT (13-1-2016): changed the mechanics from '1000 Years of Pain'.

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 12:50 PM
If anyone has any feedback on the spells, they are always welcome! ;P

SharkForce
2016-01-10, 01:15 AM
1000 years of pain is basically just phantasmal killer, except better and lower level. might need to tweak that to make it more distinct (i'm fine with being better than phantasmal killer, because phantasmal killer kinda sucks).

RakiReborn
2016-01-10, 06:07 PM
I.... must honestly say i hadn't seen that spell at all before... >.< but now that i looked it up, you are right. I'm not contempt with the phantasmal force though, as it feels kind of underpowered. Don't know if i would take it at all (if i were to play a wizard someday) honestly.
I will look at it again for a bit, and will see if i will change it, or just make this a spell as sort of a replacement for PhFo to make the frightening mechanic a bit more interesting. What could be clouding my judgement though, is that we play with intimidation check as an action to frighten in combat.
Thanks for your feedback! Anything to comment on the other spells? :)

RakiReborn
2016-01-13, 10:00 AM
I changed the mechanics for '1000 Years of Pain', so that it is more unique instead of a better version of 'Phantasmal Force'. I do feel unsure about the power level now, does it seem okay? Overpowered? Underpowered?
Thanks for pointing out the resemblence with PhFo, SharkForce! :)