PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I cast "Ancestral Communion!" (magic items)

andysowhat
2016-01-07, 12:10 PM
Ok, so there is basically 4 types of items, and I think I understand it.

Crap/normal items
Masterworked items
Wounderous items
Magic Items

So far as I unsderstand, you can't upgrade normal items to masterwork wounderous or magic items.

But you can upgrade an masterwork item into a magic or a wounderous items.

Wounderous items can't be upgraded when first made.

Magic items can be upgraded after it is made.

an enchanted sword with +2 enchantment can be upgraded into a enchanted sword with +6 enchantment. If you can pay the price and time.

So are these assertions right?

So my next question is. It says, "Lesser minor" "Greater Minor" "Lesser medium" "Greater medium" "Lesser Major" "Greater Major" on enchantments. But what does these means? I don't understand -.-

What makes it even more confusing is that example a "lesser Medium" magic weapon have a line which says that the weapon can have a "+1 weapon with one +2 Special ability" or a "Lesser Major" magic weapon can have a "+1 weapon with one +3 special ability"

Does this mean I can have a +1 enchanted weapon with a powerful special ability enchanted to it? So I can take a +3 special ability enchantment and put it on a +1 enchantmented weapon for the price of 2k gold? or am I suppose to add the +3 special ability and +1 enchantment together and make it a total worth of 32k?

Red Fel
2016-01-07, 12:27 PM
Ok, so there is basically 4 types of items, and I think I understand it.

Crap/normal items
Masterworked items
Wounderous items
Magic Items

Not exactly. "Normal items" generally refers to mundane objects that serve a function, such as mundane weapons or armor, or tools.

Masterwork items are normal items that are exceptionally well-made, generally conveying a bonus to their function. For example, a masterwork tool might give an increased bonus to its task, a masterwork weapon deals additional damage, and so forth. Only masterwork items can be made magical. And while ordinarily a mundane item cannot be "upgraded" to masterwork - masterwork is a function of how the item was initially crafted, not an add-on - there is a spell that does the job (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/masterwork-transformation).

Now, the distinction between "wondrous" and "magic" isn't one of scale, but one of type. "Magic item" is a broad category that basically encompasses any, well, magical object. Pretty much any object that has been magically enhanced radiates an aura of magic. This may include weapons and armor, wands and scrolls, bracers, belts, and slotless things. Wondrous items are a specific subcategory of magic items, generally those which aren't weapons, armor, wands, or scrolls. If you look at the PFSRD page on Wondrous Items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items), it basically lists that - items that go in your non-armor slots, like necklaces and headbands and belts, as well as some various consumables, like powders and beads and salves.

So my next question is. It says, "Lesser minor" "Greater Minor" "Lesser medium" "Greater medium" "Lesser Major" "Greater Major" on enchantments. But what does these means? I don't understand -.-

These basically distinguish between the power of the enhancement. Minor/Medium/Major refers to the type of enhancement, and Lesser/Greater refers to how strong it is. For example, a Minor enhancement gives an increase to one physical ability score, while Medium increases two, and Major may increase three; Lesser gives a small increase, while Greater gives a large increase. (See e.g. the Belt of Giant Strength +2 (Greater Minor), the Belt of Physical Might +2 (Lesser Medium), and the Belt of Physical Perfection +4 (Greater Major).)

This is a bit of a generalization - there is some overlap in categories - but on the whole it's a solid guideline.

Does this mean I can have a +1 enchanted weapon with a powerful special ability enchanted to it? So I can take a +3 special ability enchantment and put it on a +1 enchantmented weapon for the price of 2k gold? or am I suppose to add the +3 special ability and +1 enchantment together and make it a total worth of 32k?

In order to place non-numerical enhancements on a weapon (e.g. Flaming on a sword) the weapon must have at least +1 numerical enhancement. After that, you can pretty much put what you want on it. Just remember that you must pay the total enhancement bonus. For example, if you have a +1 Longsword of Speed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/speed), it has a total of +4 - +1 from the base enhancement, and +3 from Speed. That means you pay the cost of the Longsword, then add 32,000 for a +4 total enhancement.