PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Kung Fu Panda or Angry Honey Badger? What's the best multiclass for a Druid?

DragonBaneDM
2016-01-07, 12:51 PM
So I'm looking at building a Druid of the Moon for an upcoming pregen campaign, and since this is the first time I'll be playing 5E outside of DMing my own campaign and one-shots, I want to plan out some level progression paths for myself.

What do you guys think the best 1-3 level dip for a wild shape focused Druid would be? Barbarian nets me Rage, Con-Armored Defense and then Reckless Attack, and then maybe a level of Totem Spirit or Frenzy. Monk gets me Martial Arts, a better Unarmored Defense, and maybe even a level 3 path feature (Light Monk for lazer-bear? Earth Bearnder?)

Which path would you follow, and why? Is a combination of all three classes greater than the sum of their parts? Or is Moon Druid just so darn good on its lonesome that you wouldn't bother?

hymer
2016-01-07, 01:11 PM
So I'm looking at building a Druid of the Moon for an upcoming pregen campaign, and since this is the first time I'll be playing 5E outside of DMing my own campaign and one-shots, I want to plan out some level progression paths for myself.

What do you guys think the best 1-3 level dip for a wild shape focused Druid would be? Barbarian nets me Rage, Con-Armored Defense and then Reckless Attack, and then maybe a level of Totem Spirit or Frenzy. Monk gets me Martial Arts, a better Unarmored Defense, and maybe even a level 3 path feature (Light Monk for lazer-bear? Earth Bearnder?)

Which path would you follow, and why? Is a combination of all three classes greater than the sum of their parts? Or is Moon Druid just so darn good on its lonesome that you wouldn't bother?

I suggest you talk with your DM first. Wild shape interaction with class features is completely up to DM interpretation due to a weaseling clause about the form needing to be physically capable of doing the thing. To put it longly: Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457532-Druid-Multiclassing-an-addendum-%28WIP%29).

If I were you, I'd be looking at barbarian (for rage and unarmored defense, a good thing for your shapes) and paladin (for the ability to smite, and let you do some real damage from level 5 and onwards, something wild shapes struggle to do).

Edit: May be worth pointing out that one does not have to preclude the other in a dipping budget of three levels.

DragonBaneDM
2016-01-07, 01:23 PM
] paladin (for the ability to smite, and let you do some real damage from level 5 and onwards, something wild shapes struggle to do).

Oo, I'll have to think of another animal pun. Smiting instead of healing with my spell slots DOES seem really good!

EDIT: So I looked it up, and am I correct in that I can only spend Paladin slots to smite? I'm looking for classes that I only dip 1-3 levels in, with Druid staying as my main chassis to get more powerful forms late game.

hymer
2016-01-07, 01:27 PM
EDIT: So I looked it up, and am I correct in that I can only spend Paladin slots to smite? I'm looking for classes that I only dip 1-3 levels in, with Druid staying as my main chassis to get more powerful forms late game.

There's errata out to let you smite with multiclass spell slots. I believe I've linked to it in the guide under the paladin discussion if you want to look.

DragonBaneDM
2016-01-07, 01:30 PM
There's errata out to let you smite with multiclass spell slots. I believe I've linked to it in the guide under the paladin discussion if you want to look.

Hey thanks! Also this guide is absolutely perfect. All of the druid guides I've looked at have a paragraph or two dedicated to this, but what I really wanted was an in depth look. You rock!

hymer
2016-01-07, 01:31 PM
Hey thanks! Also this guide is absolutely perfect. All of the druid guides I've looked at have a paragraph or two dedicated to this, but what I really wanted was an in depth look. You rock!

You're very kind, and very welcome. :smallsmile:

zylodrizzt
2016-01-07, 01:52 PM
I suggest you only go Lvl 10 moon if your going to multi class it kinda drops off after that I think. I suggest monk cause of mobility possibly doing more damage with unarmed strike even possibility of flurry of bites if your dm is lenient (though laser bear would be great too) your main stay as a druid is wis anyways and it doesn't get replaced though most rule you get either natural or monks formula which usually nets I about 2 on avg which is still pretty low ac considering what u should be at. Going rage though can net u some of those benefits as well with right totem like eagle for mobility or bear for all around dodge action (i know resistance but dodge is like cutting your chances to be hit for full dmg in half) sold will make your allies happy (kinda like a knocked prone effect of open hand) reckless attack can agro some opponents. I might suggest rogue for your already incredible speed when you beast mode especially if you got mobile as well and imagine monk with that saving I a few ki and will give I some greate grappling. If your dm is lenient enough add in sneak attack. Right now I've got a sort of skirmishing moon monk trickster going. I don't even really understand why they have have it healing anyways cause your just a big bag of hp anyways changing twice per short rest. It should have been damage since beast damage can be low.

Dalebert
2016-01-07, 01:55 PM
Druids still have rockin' spells. I'm inclined to take as many druid levels as possible. One level in monk gets you a lot for a moon druid; mainly the unarmored defense. But you get a bonus attack that goes nice with Sillelagh when you're not in animal form.

BladeWing81
2016-01-08, 09:59 AM
I think you're better of with being moon druid/bear totem Barbarian for the damage resistance from rage. Also, I think you change your Str, Dex, Cons and AC stats with whatever shape you take (you keep Int, Wis, Char and add your skills and saving throws to what ever the animal has and you can choose the keep the highest number on those stats) but if you can convince your DM of allowing your unarmored defense feature to be available in wild shape then you can use that AC with your animal form which is usually better than what the animal form has.

but in a roleplaying sense, tiger/wolf/panther/gorilla/panda monk seems waaaay cooler :smallbiggrin:

talk to your DM if you can keep the unarmored defense during wild shape so that you can at least have better AC regardless of what multiclass you choose.

BalkanDS
2016-01-10, 05:50 PM
Excuse me, barBEARian! I think enough's been said.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-10, 07:11 PM
For a moon druid? It's really hard to give up that capstone. Not only are you getting unlimited wild shapes, but the ability to ignore components of your spells in both humanoid and beast forms. All those spells with material components you couldn't really cast in beast form? Yeah, ignore that fact, cast 'em anyway. Sneaking around as a beast on the prowl and need to some extra magical might? Guess what, you can cast a spell without a vocal component now, so it won't give away your position.

Course, most of that is awesome for a land druid too. Or maybe it's my irrational dislike of multi-classing for some odd reason that makes me see things that are very situational in a bright, shining light.

A main problem I think is the stats. As a moon druid, you wouldn't put much emphasis on your physical stats, since those get replaced by the animal ones anyhoo. You'd probably have 14 dex for when you're not in beasty form, so you'll probably be limited to druid / wis requiring classes, which would be Cleric, Monk, Rogue and Ranger, I believe... oh, and Fighter too, since they can be str or dex.

Ranger's kind of a crappier druid, better weapon skills, but really, you're a moon druid, you don't really use weapons. Monk could be interesting, giving you decent AC, but it doesn't work with a shield, I believe.

Question - If you take something like Life, Nature, Tempest or War cleric, can you wear heavy metal armor and metal shields despite being a druid? If so, those would be good choices. Lets you not worry about your dex and just make up for it with some nice heavy armor.