PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Getting my players from point a to point b.

sammyp03
2016-01-07, 01:26 PM
At the end of our last adventure, my pc's went into a giant Vault to recover the Queens stolen brooch only to come out of the vault with the city on fire. They will then be chased by guards with the possibility of them being captured. I'm looking for a way to get them from this chase to another locationote using the brooch but I'm hitting a blank wall.

MisterKaws
2016-01-07, 02:56 PM
I think you deleted something while posting this, I can't understand very well what you mean right now.

What I do understand, however, is that the escape plans and such should usually be left to the players, unless you (or your players) like railroading, in which case, enter calvinball mode and create a secret passage of sorts that the rogue detects just as he passes by.

Telonius
2016-01-07, 03:00 PM
So the guards see the adventurers and assume it's their fault the city is on fire? Seems pretty reasonable. :smallbiggrin:

Itsjustsoup.com
2016-01-08, 12:12 AM
When they retrive the Queens Brooch - have it detect as magical.

Give the players a roll to detect the spell, and if they succeed, Tell them that you detect a powerful masking magic, but you surmise it would help the queen flee by magical means to an unknown location.

Either give them the command to activate it - if its likely they'll use it in a bad situation to save themselves,

or

have someone (maybe the queen) accidentally or intentionally voice activate it through labored, repeated shouts, as she comes charging on horseback from the burning city, fleeing toward the characters, activating the magic, but at the last second her horse is hit by an attack and takes a header, as the characters disappear they can see the queen tumble to the floor, land harshly, and almost make it to them as they fade away.

They could also see her getting stabbed in the back while they fade away. [Optional]