PDA

View Full Version : Does Repelling Shield provoke AoO?

TheTomikaze15
2016-01-07, 02:46 PM
So I was looking for some spells for a sorcadin and I was wondering if repelling shield would invoke an attack of opportunity on the failed reflex save?

The spell in question states:This spell functions like the shield spell, except that any adjacent creature that makes a melee attack against you is also pushed 5 feet away from you after the attack is resolved. A successful Reflex save negates this effect, and spell resistance applies. You can choose the direction of the creature's movement, as long as it ends up farther away from you than it began. You can't push a creature into a space that it couldn't legally occupy (such as a wall). If no legal space exists to push the creature, it is unaffected

So if it is pushed out of my threatened square that would invoke an AoO correct?

ComaVision
2016-01-07, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. That's a neat spell.

TheTomikaze15
2016-01-07, 05:17 PM
Yeah here's the complete details: http://dndtools.pw/spells/complete-mage--58/repelling-shield--771/

I don't see this spell mentioned much so I was wondering if there was something I was missing.

Ravens_cry
2016-01-08, 03:38 AM
Even if it does, if you're a wizard or sorcerer getting close enough in the furball that you're getting swung at at a regular basis, something has usually gone wrong. It's pretty neat even if the AoO doesn't happen, and it targets a commonly ignored save. It especially works as a buff if you're one of those wizards who do like to buff to the gills and wade into melee. Such wizards are rare and far between, but there is some, I'm sure. There's some spells built around this concept, after all. Still, it does strike me as something you generally only want if things have already gone FUBAR*, and it won't likely save you if they have.
That's my take, anyway.
*Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

John Longarrow
2016-01-08, 04:21 AM
I would guess the reason it isn't mentioned much is its level. At 3rd you normally have so many better options. The build this looks like its intended for is a Gish that has a reach weapon. Same size meany gets next to you and swings. If it fails its reflex it is moved back. You, with your reach weapon, smack it then do a 5' adjust away, forcing it to draw another AoO as it gets close again for its single attack. Rinse, repeat.

Compare that to Displacement, Blink, Haste or Fly for one of your 3rd level buffs. Most likely to be seen on a fairly high level (10+) Gish build.

MisterKaws
2016-01-08, 05:06 AM
AFAIK, pushing allows no AoOs, you can only provoke an AoO for movement if you chose to move(or were compelled to by enchanting).

2016-01-08, 05:46 AM
By RAW:

General rule says yes; because the target was not using a form of movement that bypasses AoOs (such as the Withdraw action), they provoke an attack of opportunity. As of yet, I have not located any rule that says "forced movement of any kind" is an exception to that general rule...although I have found the rule stating that forced movement caused by a bull rush does not provoke AoOs from you or the target, but provokes AoOs from anybody else who might normally get them. Because the target's forced movement could provoke AoOs from your allies if you were Bull Rushing them, there's at least one case of a specific case following the general rule (and the exception to the rule is you; you don't get an AoO because you initiated the Bull Rush).

By RAI:

Forced Movement of any kind does not provoke AoOs unless it specifically says it provokes AoOs, such as Bull Rush says. That's how I would rule it if a player in one of my games asked me for a ruling on this.