PDA

View Full Version : Let's Imagine: What if Capcom made a new Dungeons & Dragons Beat-em up

BladeWing81
2016-01-07, 05:47 PM
I loved the two dungeons and dragons arcade games especially Shadows over Mystara, and I obviously have the PC remake versions but what IF, CAPCOM made a NEW game? what would you like to see in it?
a new sword coast narrative?
more classes? (Druids, Monks, Paladins, Warlocks,Rangers)
be able to select subclasses after achieving lvl 3?
don't over complicate it, remember it's a Beat-em up but What would you like to see?
http://www.gamesenior.com.br/wp-content/uploads/Media/2013/06/dungeons_dragons_chronicles_of_mystara.jpg

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-07, 05:55 PM
I loved the two dungeons and dragons arcade games especially Shadows over Mystara, and I obviously have the PC remake versions but what IF, CAPCOM made a NEW game? what would you like to see in it?
a new sword coast narrative?
more classes? (Druids, Monks, Paladins, Warlocks,Rangers)
be able to select subclasses after achieving lvl 3?
don't over complicate it, remember it's a Beat-em up but What would you like to see?
http://www.gamesenior.com.br/wp-content/uploads/Media/2013/06/dungeons_dragons_chronicles_of_mystara.jpg

You might as well just keep playing the old arcade games since capcom wouldn't put effort into the game. Capcom can't even get mega man right, what makes you think they won't push through a huge steamer with something way more complex than run/jump/shoot?

krugaan
2016-01-07, 05:57 PM
more scantily clad dark elves, please.

also, more merchants who prominently display their ... wares.

BladeWing81
2016-01-08, 09:16 AM
You might as well just keep playing the old arcade games since capcom wouldn't put effort into the game. Capcom can't even get mega man right, what makes you think they won't push through a huge steamer with something way more complex than run/jump/shoot?

That's why I started the thread with "let's Imagine"

So LET'S IMAGINE! that Capcom is still a good videogame company and they just finished creating their new cps4 arcade board and their first videogame lined up is
Dungeons and Dragons: Tiamat's revenge. What would you want that videogame to have?
me personally, I would love it if it had more classes and each class had the option to select one of two subclasses (with a 20 sec timer so as to not stall the game too much) so it would change the play style during the game as you progress.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-08, 09:27 AM
That's why I started the thread with "let's Imagine"

So LET'S IMAGINE! that Capcom is still a good videogame company and they just finished creating their new cps4 arcade board and their first videogame lined up is
Dungeons and Dragons: Tiamat's revenge. What would you want that videogame to have?
me personally, I would love it if it had more classes and each class had the option to select one of two subclasses (with a 20 sec timer so as to not stall the game too much) so it would change the play style during the game as you progress.

No.

I play a game where non-magical gargantuan creatures exist, dragons can mate with humans, and my half-orc wizard can shoot fire from his eyes.

But imagining capcom as anything other than a steaming pile of crap is going too far, it can't be done.

How about just saying...

"what development company would make the best D&D 5e beat'em up game and how would they go about it?"

Capcom couldn't make a decent game right now if Kojima teamed up with Squarenix's Tomb Raider team and GAVE the game to Capcom... They would still figure a way to make it a steaming pile.

Blacky the Blackball
2016-01-08, 09:39 AM
The main reason the original two games were so good was that Alex "Raven" Jimenez - who was one of CapCom's leading designers, responsible for things like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Aliens vs Predator - was a D&D nerd.

He was insistent that the games emulate D&D's mechanics (at that time it was the Rules Cyclopedia, not AD&D) as much as possible, and he even wrote the plot of the first game as a D&D adventure and DMed it through to make sure it was suitable before it got used for the arcade game.

Apparently this caused some friction with the development team who, being Japan based, didn't know anything about D&D and wanted to have more freedom to add their own designs rather than sticking to the iconic D&D monsters and setting (the games were set in the Mystara setting, and include prominent locations and NPCs from that setting - although they get the Shadow Elves wrong in that they're supposed to be pale skinned, not purple and drow-like!)

So we'd want to assume that any new game that was produced would have the same attention to detail when it came to rules and would be set in Eberron (which is today what Mystara was in the 90's - a high magic setting from a former edition that's barely supported by the current edition). Like the originals it would probably have multiple branching pathways through the game based on choose-your-own-adventure style decisions which then determine which levels you play, and would also be chock full of secret areas like the originals.

I'm thinking that spells would probably be done with a "power bar" where you hold down the spell button and the bar increases, with the casting level of the spell being the point at which the bar is when you let go of the button. It would probably track spell slots fairly faithfully as the older games did.

BladeWing81
2016-01-08, 10:22 AM
So we'd want to assume that any new game that was produced would have the same attention to detail when it came to rules and would be set in Eberron (which is today what Mystara was in the 90's - a high magic setting from a former edition that's barely supported by the current edition). Like the originals it would probably have multiple branching pathways through the game based on choose-your-own-adventure style decisions which then determine which levels you play, and would also be chock full of secret areas like the originals.

I'm thinking that spells would probably be done with a "power bar" where you hold down the spell button and the bar increases, with the casting level of the spell being the point at which the bar is when you let go of the button. It would probably track spell slots fairly faithfully as the older games did.

Yes! let's assume Jimenez is still onboard in this project, he's played 5e and he's doing a Kickstarter so Capcom isn't involved or what ever you want me to say to stop the Capcom bashing and stay on point cause nobody cares.:smallannoyed:

I like your Ideas about Magic.
I would also add some special moves like the ones SoM had (down+Forward+attack, Back+Forward+attack, etc.) not only for the melee classes but also for the spell caster classes so as to be able to add cantrips into the game.

Dimers
2016-01-08, 08:32 PM
Full casters all get an extra spell to use when they pick up a scroll, a minor one that's in their bailiwick. Life clerics get an extra cure, moon druids get an extra shapeshift, land druids get an extra entangle ...

Barbarians all build up toward a furious rage when they take damage! Once the bar fills up, they have a limited time when they attack faster, can't be blocked as much, and do more damage. One barbarian build uses a greataxe and is takes less damage from hits (but fills up the rage bar just as fast), the other uses two weapons and has top-notch attack and movement speed.

Shapeshifting gives you a pile of hp to run through before your own start counting down again.

As soon as you take Arcane Trickster, you get a little magehand that flies around the screen independently, distracting enemies and picking up money-items off the ground.

Bards get better fighting ability while there are innocents on the screen needing to be rescued, and they get extra XP for being the one to untie them. Their special ability is auras that benefit the party -- one build gets a defensive aura as their basic bonus spell, the other gets an offensive aura. There's no time limit on the aura but they lose some radius as the bard takes more and more damage, until finally they disappear entirely and have to be re-cast.

Monks all get a slowly refilling ki bar that they can spend on shadow teleports (the rest of the screen freezes when you activate it), fast burst attacks, powerful touch attacks or elemental effects, depending on the build. This is a great opportunity to make elemental monk awesome!

Champion fighters get a crit bar that fills up as they make attacks, and the more full it is when they let go, the bigger the WHAM. They'd be greatsword, I think. Good reach, decent speed, high damage, fair resistance and block, can use ranged weapons better than most too. Battlemaster fighters would be sword-and-board, and they'd get tons of fancy joystick-activated moves. Eldritch knights can use spells!

Paladins get occasional smites and can spend spells for stronger smites. Plus they do extra damage against undead and demons all the time. The 'nice' build gets a once-per-scene protection ability that can only target a friend (unless there's nobody else playing), and the 'vengeance' build gets a once-per-scene power to panic one enemy.

One of the ranger builds is the best archer in the game, of course, and their spells make their arrows better in all kinds of ways. Smacks enemies upside the head with the bow as a melee attack. The other ranger build gets an independently-acting beast -- fantastic against mobs, more vulnerable to bosses. And the beastmaster is still better with ranged attacks than most classes.

Wild sorcerers have randomized add-on status effects to their cantrips and spells, while dragon sorcs get bigger damage and harder saves. I'd imagine the sorcerers as dragonborn, and they get different breath weapons from each other, and both types are actually useful (unlike in the basic 5e ruleset).

I could keep going, but it's somebody else's turn. :smallwink: I would love to see a game like this.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-08, 10:21 PM
I imagine DLC... DLC everywhere...

That said, I was never into old arcade games like that as much. I would LOVE to see someone take a hold of Fifth Edition and do it lots of justice in a video game, something epic like Baldur's Gate series or the Neverwinter Nights games.

Steampunkette
2016-01-08, 10:42 PM
I wanna see Bioware take a KOTOR/ME stab at 5e, myself.

Big awesome story, variety of companions, titled central pc...

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-08, 11:06 PM
I imagine DLC... DLC everywhere...

That said, I was never into old arcade games like that as much. I would LOVE to see someone take a hold of Fifth Edition and do it lots of justice in a video game, something epic like Baldur's Gate series or the Neverwinter Nights games.

I think an action first person game such as Bioshock would do well. I hate playing those types of games but I don't mind watching my wife play them. Get an awesome plot that involves you in the spell-plague and then later getting Mystra back?