PDA

View Full Version : Help with Summoner Paladin

ATHATH
2016-01-07, 07:07 PM
Recently, I discovered a TN Paladin variant called the Incarnate (not to be confused with the Incarnum Incarnate) with a unique ability- it can rebuke outsiders as a Cleric of your Incarnate level -3 (it's in Dragon 310, if you're interested). I plan to use this in a summoner build (the Associates section says that Incarnate won't willingly work with things with an alignment subtype, but I view that section as fluff), using Nar Demonbinder (qualifying with Sword of the Arcane Order and Versatile Spellcaster (qualifying for VS with Magical Training (Sorceror))) for the binding and summoning spells and the Incarnate for the ability to get Planar Bound outsiders to work for me for free. However, I need a prestige class that can advance ND's spellcasting and my turning (I don't care about my Incarnate casting or my BAB). I suspect there are some poorly worded prestige classes out there that will do the trick, but I haven't found one yet. Help would be greatly appreciated.

ATHATH
2016-01-10, 01:33 AM
Update:

The only class I found that advances both turning and arcane spellcasting was True Necromancer, so I guess I'll have to use that. Here's my build:

The Summoner of Balance

"Order seems to be prevalent here. I think a demon should do the trick."

Aequus (Equal in Latin), Human Incarnate (Paladin Variant) of Wee Jas 7/Primal Scholar 1 (Mystery of Magic Secret (Bless Water))/Incarnate (Paladin Variant) 2/Contemplative 1 (Death Domain)/Nar Demonbinder 1/True Necromancer 8

Feats:
1: Magical Training (Wizard)
Racial Bonus Feat: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Flaw: Southern Magician
Flaw: Mysterious Magic
Otyugh Hole (3,000 GP): Iron Will
3: Extend Spell
6: Practiced Spellcaster (Incarnate (Paladin Variant))
9: Versatile Spellcaster (Use this to spontaneously cast Wizard spells of levels 1-5, and for early entry into ND)
12: Spell Focus (Necromancy)
15: Necrotic Cyst
18: Practiced Spellcaster (Incarnate (Paladin Variant))

Stats:(32 Point-Buy)
STR: 8
DEX: 10
CON: 12
INT: 16 (Use your first two stat boosts on INT so that you can take the MoM secret)
WIS: 14
CHA: 16 (Use your third, fourth, and fifth stat boosts on CHA so you can cast your highest level spells.)

For his first 7 levels, Aequus is pretty much a subpar standard Incarnate (but with no relevant feats). When he reaches eighth level, he can cast Create Lantern Archon a couple of times and acquire a posse of Lantern Archons to tailor to his whims at all times. At 12th level, he begins to blossom into his true summoner nature (and begins to shed his former melee skin, falling behind more and more in BAB), and acquires his signature ability- free Planar Bindings. He summons an outsider into a summoning circle, but instead of bargaining with it, he rebukes it. No outsider that I know of has turning resistance, and rebuking relies on hit dice, which means that he can command high-CHA outsiders just as well as low-CHA ones. He can also minor in some Necromancy, but he needs to bind an outsider that can rebuke the undead that he creates with his True Necromancer class features. Pick up some +rebuking/turning items to expand your turning pool and max HD per minion.

Aequus worships Wee Jas, but mainly because she tolerates blacker magics without being a psychotic fiend.

There is one slight problem with this, however: Aequus doesn't have the class skills he needs to get enough ranks to qualify for all of his prestige classes. I could dip Factotum, but I'd rather not lose the CL and turning level. Any ideas?

ATHATH
2016-01-10, 02:17 PM
Thread renamed because it seemed misleading.

ATHATH
2016-01-10, 09:20 PM
Update 2: Ok, I've narrowed it down to just requiring knowledge (arcane), which allows me to take Paragnostic Apostle. Let me see if I can cut a feat somewhere.

Also, why am I the only poster in this thread? Is this topic uninteresting or to difficult to work on? Am I just posting at the wrong times?

ATHATH
2016-01-10, 09:22 PM
Isn't there a magical location that grants Spell Focus?

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-10, 09:49 PM
Sorry you haven't been getting any hits on your thread. Hopefully, this will function as a bump and help a little. I don't do summoning, (I'll see if I can PM one of my friends that is good at it) but I do do paladin things! You might take a look into Sacred Exorcist (Complete Divine pg. 56) for the turning and the spellcasting progression.

ATHATH
2016-01-10, 11:04 PM
Alas, I cannot- the Incarnate variant is locked into True Neutral. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

ATHATH
2016-01-10, 11:21 PM
Can I use Metamagic Storm to qualify for Mysterious Magic? If I can, I can take Apprentice (Spellcaster) to get Knowledge (Arcana) as a class skill.

Darrin
2016-01-11, 07:36 AM
In Oriental Adventures, humans from the Phoenix clan always have Knowledge (Arcana) as a class skill. Unfortunately, Paladin is banned in Rokugan. (However... this Incarnate variant isn't exactly a Paladin.)

Can you take Paladin substitution levels? Mystic Fire Knight (Champions of Valor) can get Knowledge (Arcana) at 4th.

ATHATH
2016-01-11, 10:53 AM
I can't take MFK for two reasons:
1: It's kind of rules-flimsy; the Incarnate isn't explicitly said to be a variant of the paladin.
2: Mystra doesn't have the Death domain, locking me out of True Necromancer.

If I increase my INT by two points, will I retroactively gain skill points for previous levels?

ComaVision
2016-01-11, 01:52 PM
If I increase my INT by two points, will I retroactively gain skill points for previous levels?

No, unfortunately not.

ATHATH
2016-01-11, 06:52 PM
I'VE DONE IT!

The Summoner of Balance

"Order seems to be prevalent here. I think a demon should do the trick."

Aequus (Equal in Latin), Half-Fey Human Incarnate (Paladin Variant) of Wee Jas 5/Paragnostic Apostle 2/Primal Scholar 1 (Mystery of Magic Secret (Bless Water))/Paragnostic Apostle 2/Contemplative 1 (Death Domain)/Nar Demonbinder 1/True Necromancer 8

Feats:
1: Magical Training (Wizard)
Racial Bonus Feat: Extend Spell
Flaw (Feeble): Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Flaw (Noncombatant): Apprentice (Spellcaster) (Knowledge (Arcana))
Otyugh Hole (3,000 GP): Iron Will
3: Versatile Spellcaster (Use this to spontaneously cast Wizard spells of levels 1-5, and for early entry into ND)
6: Mysterious Magic
9: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
12: Southern Magician
15: Necrotic Cyst (May be swapped with feat 18)
18: Practiced Spellcaster (Incarnate (Paladin Variant))

Stats (32 Point-Buy):
STR: 8
DEX: 8 (+2=10)
CON: 12 (-2=10)
INT: 18
WIS: 14 (+2=16)
CHA: 14 (+2=16)

Skill points:
Base+5 per level
Level 1
Arc 4
Reli 4
Nat 4
SM .5
Intimi .5
Hist .5
Planes .5
Spellcraft .5
UMD 4
7 points of other stuff (not mentioned later)

Level 5:
Arc 8 (done, not mentioned later)
Reli 8
Nat 5 (done, not mentioned later)
SM 2 (done, not mentioned later)
Intimi 2.5
Hist 2
Planes 2
Spellcraft 2
UMD 7

Level 7:
Reli 10
Intimi 3.5
Hist 10 (done, not mentioned later)
Planes 2
Spellcraft 10

Level 8:
Reli 11
Intimi 4
Planes 8
Spellcraft 11

Level 10:
Reli 13
Intimi 4
Planes 13
Spellcraft 13
UMD 13
3 other skill points (not mentioned later)

Level 11:
Reli 14
Intimi 5 (done, not mentioned later)
Planes 14
Spellcraft 14
UMD 14
1 other skill point (not mentioned later)

Level 12:
Reli 15
Planes 15
Spellcraft 15
UMD 15
2 other skill points (not mentioned later)

Level 13+:
Reli +1
Planes +1
Spellcraft +1
UMD +1
+2 other skill points

Notes: Buy off the LA at first opportunity. Spam Charm Person in the early levels, and enjoy your flight (Grab a bow and arrow with your 10 DEX, perhaps?). Use the Earth elemental you can get at 5th level to scout. When you get Versatile Spellcaster, use it to cast spells from your Spellbook; fill up your rebuking slots with enslaved Lantern Archons (via Create Lantern Archon) ASAP after getting it. Once you hit Nar you can bind more advanced and specialized creatures. Pick up as many +Rebuking/Turning items as you can; your unbuffed turning is at a terrible level (Cleric-6, by 20th).

Did I miss anything wrong with the build? Are my skill point calculations correct? Did I waste too many resources trying to make this build self-sufficient?

ATHATH
2016-01-12, 11:08 AM
I just realized that I don't actually need the Xendrik prestige class- Apprentice grants me one spontaneous spell. The Xendrik class does allow me to keep UMD as a class skill (after level five, you have to take a level in a class that grants it to keep it as a class skill) though, which I think is worth a level of rebuking (I'm sure that there are +rebuking items that only work for Clerics of a particular god).