PDA

View Full Version : Ending them rightly!

Aleolus
2016-01-08, 11:16 AM
So, after finally seeing this video (http://youtu.be/jETLCm7k3sU), I am wondering. How would you handle the mechanics if you had a player wanting to end his enemy rightly using this tactic?

Cerefel
2016-01-08, 01:24 PM
So that meme finally made it here...

Anyway, I would probably rule unscrewing a pommel as a full-round action. The pommel would be a thrown weapon that does a small amount of bludgeoning damage.

TheOneHawk
2016-01-08, 03:46 PM
Same damage rules as throwing a rock, I would say.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-08, 04:29 PM
There is a feat - Hurling Charge, MH 27 - that allows you to throw a weapon as part of a charge. You could presumably unscrew the pommel - a full round, as Cerefel said - then use your next turn to throw and charge. I still don't see why you would want to use it with a pommel, given that it's essentially a not-very-sharp rock. In D&D, using the armaments suggested by the manual (dagger, longsword, spear, buckler), it's probably a better idea to throw the dagger or the spear. It saves you a round, and has a better crit range.

In the case of a thrown pommel, you might impose a -1 circumstance penalty to attack rolls for a sword without a pommel, or at least take away any masterwork benefits (the +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls, more if you're using Dragon content).

Chronos
2016-01-08, 09:53 PM
Remember, this was for judicial duels. I guess maybe that was part of the rules? If you were so enraged on seeing your adversary that you just charged right in without unscrewing your pommel first, the court found against you. And if both parties did follow the rules and unscrew their pommels, it provided multiple obvious points for the duel to end short of death: If the other guy gets his pommel unscrewed before you do, you might concede rather than let him attack you undefended, and if your sword falls apart from not having a pommel on the end, then you concede then, too.