PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What More Does This Melee Need?

glitterbaby
2016-01-08, 12:39 PM
So in one of my RL group's long running campaigns, our battle strategy has mostly evolved into buffing up our one melee to the point where he's able to stomp most of the enemies we face while not being able to be touched by most enemy's abilities. That being said, he isn't completely unstoppable. Anyone want to help me out in fixing that?

The rest of the party consists of my wizard, a cleric, and a druid. I'm 17th level and everyone else is 18th level (I had to cast a Wish to get the cleric's body back after she died :smallannoyed:) but I have 9ths so I'm not upset. The campaign is "core only" but we're allowed to request spells which are usually allowed. Half of us have homebrew classes and a researched spell or two, nothing that has any impact on this exercise though. My question is as follows: what specific spells and strategies from all of 3.5 (and even some of PF) can a cleric, a druid, and a wizard employ to make our melee nigh unstoppable?

Tortoise Shell
Freedom of Movement
Shield of Faith
(Status)
Delay Death
Recitation
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Superior Resistance
Shield of Warding
Magic Vestment x2 (shield and armor)
Heroism (Tower Shield Proficiency for his Animate Variable Shield)
Heroism (Improved Critical)
Energy Absorption

Originally was a Human but was Reincarnated as an Arctic Orc. We then used Surge of Fortune to make him a Half-Clay Golem from Monster Manual II. This granted him some number bonuses but also Immunity to all Slashing and Piercing damage as well as DR 10/Silver and a racial Rage-type feature (Berserk) whenever he takes damage. So his racial abilities make him a rather tanky brute of a guy. Oh yeah, and Magic Immunity. The guy has infinite SR which he can lower as an immediate action, thanks to a feat he took, so that's nice.

For his class, he has 13 levels in Jiriku's Dawnblade and then 5 levels in a homebrew class that advances his Dawnblade smiting, divine boosts, and auras and also gives him things to advance abilities that have to do with his particular Order. He also has Battle Blessing to make all his Dawnblade spells swift actions. Putting it all together, he has an enormous amount of damage and some survivability and utility out of his class levels.

So what else can we give the guy? I've noticed a few things in combat that are still affecting him. Direct damage things such as breath weapons hurt, especially when we get gargantuan red dragons that can catch us in the blast like 50 feet away. We'll occasionally get caught with our pants down and be unable to put all our buffs on him and so when he doesn't have Freedom of Movement he can be grapple by monsters fairly easily (any melee monster worthwhile at these levels is going to be Gargantuan or Colossal with a ton of HD and strength) Spells that are SR: No still hurt as well. The Orbs aren't friends of ours if the enemy can throw enough out to drop his HP down significantly. Ring of Universal Energy Resistance? That's rather expensive but if it's the only thing, it's the best thing.

So yeah, any ideas?

Edit: I did forget to mention his buffs that he gives himself for most fights. It should be under "In-House Abilities" but I'm going to keep it here in the Edit, sorry if it looks a little lengthy.

Righteous Fury
Draconic Might
Favor of the Martyr
Death Ward
Righteous Might
And he has 20% Miss Chance from a Cloak of Minor Displacement

DeAnno
2016-01-10, 03:33 PM
At this level more than packing on extra buffs, your main concern should be defending melee's buff stack from being stripped off by a Greater Dispel or Disjunction. Might want to have someone spec a bit into Counterspelling or research Battlemagic Perception from Heroes of Battle.

glitterbaby
2016-01-10, 03:57 PM
Our Cleric is able to counterspell as an immediate action with a CL two higher than normal, I have Battlemagic Perception, and the melee has a Ring of Counterspelling with Greater Dispel Magic.

DeAnno
2016-01-10, 04:41 PM
Make sure to have a Disjunction and a GDM prepared for the 100% counterspell chance with your BMP. The Cleric should have a GDM ready too, and Disjunction if he can skeeze it onto his list somehow.

MisterKaws
2016-01-11, 03:18 AM
If he was a normal Paladin, he could (by a cheesy DMG rule, a willing druid can turn into a four-legged form and is thus able to be mounted) have a Druid as his special mount to cast Bite of the Werebear on him, that not being the case, find some way for him to use it, it's pretty nice.

Hiro Quester
2016-01-11, 09:32 AM
Does he have a source of miss chances? Cast displacement on him for a 50% miss chance.

Or get him a rink of blinking. Then even AOE spells have half damage, and individually targeted spells have 50% miss chance. Plus he can walk through walls, or blink through a grappleling opponent.

The downside to the ring is standard action activation (onehecan do while you others are buffing him, though). Plus his attacks have a 20% miss chance. But for a 50% miss chance against him the stats are more in his favor than without the blinking.

Edit: I just noticed the cloak of minor displacement 20% miss chance. Still, the ring of blinking for 50%, plus half damage from AOE and breath weapons might help more.

Seward
2016-01-13, 11:45 AM
If he's having trouble with orb spells and dragon breath - prot energy is probably what he needs, or its little brother resist energy. L2 or L3 spell slots shouldn't be under so much pressure that you can't spare a few for the most common energy types you expect to face. Maybe have the wizard hit him with fire, the druid with cold, the cleric with acid or something to reduce the hit on spell slots. If you have access to energy immunity it lasts pretty much all day but will burn 6th level spell slots.

A ring of freedom of movement is a very good thing for most melee. Saves a buff and is always there when you need it.

Twurps
2016-01-14, 01:36 PM
If you already have delay death, Beastland ferocity is a nice addition. (1st level druid spell, PH or spell compendium)