PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lots of Magic Items or a very few Select Items???

Edgerunner
2016-01-08, 01:53 PM
lvl 13 Deep Gnome Wizard.

We are starting out @lvl13 and the DM has given us 2x Free Uncommon Magic Items and $6250gp we can spend. We can purchase Magic Items at their Minimum Price with this GP.

My question is, Should I spread the love around with Lots of magic items or is it worth it to pay for just One Very Rare item, I am looking at the Rod of Absorption ATM, and use the rest of the cash for Spell Components that I will be needing?

Ideas for various magic items will be appreciated.

XianTheCoder
2016-01-08, 04:12 PM
What type of wizard and what type of campaign?

Edgerunner
2016-01-08, 04:21 PM
What type of wizard and what type of campaign?

Conjuration and the campaign is in the Underdark.

MaxWilson
2016-01-08, 04:24 PM
lvl 13 Deep Gnome Wizard.

We are starting out @lvl13 and the DM has given us 2x Free Uncommon Magic Items and $6250gp we can spend. We can purchase Magic Items at their Minimum Price with this GP.

My question is, Should I spread the love around with Lots of magic items or is it worth it to pay for just One Very Rare item, I am looking at the Rod of Absorption ATM, and use the rest of the cash for Spell Components that I will be needing?

Ideas for various magic items will be appreciated.

Cost grows exponentially but power grows linearly, so more weak items will be more cost-effective. Take as many of the good Uncommon items as you can. Goggles of Night, for example, will let your gnome shoot up even drow with advantage since you'll have 180' nightvision. Weapon of Warning, Winged Boots, etc.

Your party bard should definitely pick up an Uncommon Instrument of the Bards.

Your DM doesn't know what he's in for by letting you pick items freely based on rarity/price.

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-08, 04:52 PM
Cost grows exponentially but power grows linearly, so more weak items will be more cost-effective.
Your DM doesn't know what he's in for by letting you pick items freely based on rarity/price.

beat me to it, and I completely agree with this.

RulesJD
2016-01-08, 05:12 PM
Depends, how cheesy do you want to get? Super cheese you say? It should be noted that the items for casters actually aren't that good, especially for Wizards.

1. Magic item that lets you have no concentration flying, so a Broom of Flying
2. Magic item that lets you preserve spell slots, so a staff with spells you'll use a lot, or a Pearl of Power.

For your money, same advice as above, but I would say blow it on a major item. Your spells will make up for most everything else. Look for things that deal with enemy spell casters as they will be your only real threat (so long as you take Contingency as a spell which you are....)

1. Staff of Power (baller extreme spell list that saves you from having to learn/prepare those)
2. Spellguard Shield. This thing is so damn good it's worth that 1 level in Cleric dip and spell progression for it. Your greatest threat is spell attacks against you so this is definitely something you'll need.
3. Mantle of Spell Resistance. Only Rare and is probably the best Rare item for a Wizard. Doesn't require a level dip and gives you advantage against those Banishments/Disintegrates the DM will be throwing your way.

Edgerunner
2016-01-08, 05:24 PM
For your money, same advice as above, but I would say blow it on a major item. Your spells will make up for most everything else. Look for things that deal with enemy spell casters as they will be your only real threat (so long as you take Contingency as a spell which you are....)

With that reasoning, what is your opinion on a Rod of Absorption? Only downside I see with it is that it doesn't work with Area of Effect spells.

RulesJD
2016-01-08, 07:18 PM
With that reasoning, what is your opinion on a Rod of Absorption? Only downside I see with it is that it doesn't work with Area of Effect spells.

Solid choice, would definitely agree with that one.