PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Telling someone is a doppelganger

Pinjata
2016-01-08, 06:45 PM
First ...
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/66354539.jpg

NO HOMEBREW! No homebrew solutions, suggestions, hints, ideas.

So here is my question: Is there, by divine and radiant rules of core books, any way that anyone can tell a creature is a shapeshifted Doppelganger?

much thanks

:)

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-08, 06:53 PM
So here is my question: Is there, by divine and radiant rules of core books, any way that anyone can tell a creature is a shapeshifted Doppelganger?

:)Is something not Clerical an acceptable answer?

JumboWheat01
2016-01-08, 06:55 PM
Zone of Truth, then ask it directly and bluntly. Not exactly subtle, but either they tell you that they're not, and you go about your business, or they try to avoid answering the question as they know Zone of Truth is in effect, so you know they are.

krugaan
2016-01-08, 06:56 PM
moonbeam.

maybe true sight? im AFB.

Skeller
2016-01-08, 07:02 PM
True seeing does specifically work.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-08, 07:03 PM
moonbeam.

maybe true sight? im AFB.

True Sight would work, as according to the PHB (which I'm near enough to help you out with,) it "lets you perceive the original form of a shapechanger," so True Seeing, which grants it, would work. Moonbeam is a bit too offensive if you're not actually out to kill said shapechanger, but would work too.

krugaan
2016-01-08, 07:16 PM
Moonbeam is a bit too offensive if you're not actually out to kill said shapechanger, but would work too.

Nonsense. It's like a giant divine bouncer with a flashlight checking the rope line for stamps.

"You're good, sorry about the bright light, go on in."

"You're good, go in, the burns are temporary."

"You're ... HOLDIT RIGHT THERE, PUNK!"

JumboWheat01
2016-01-08, 07:42 PM
Nonsense. It's like a giant divine bouncer with a flashlight checking the rope line for stamps.

...I approve of the mental image this post created.

georgie_leech
2016-01-08, 11:54 PM

Assuming they don't mind the ghostly burning flames that kills the average commoner 5 times over, sure :smalltongue:

krugaan
2016-01-09, 01:45 AM
Assuming they don't mind the ghostly burning flames that kills the average commoner 5 times over, sure :smalltongue:

Smoldering corpses lose the ability to speak.

Longcat
2016-01-09, 01:55 AM
Zone of Truth, then ask it directly and bluntly. Not exactly subtle, but either they tell you that they're not, and you go about your business, or they try to avoid answering the question as they know Zone of Truth is in effect, so you know they are.

Or they react horribly offended, and you still can't tell whether they are a Doppelganger or not.

deathbymanga
2016-01-09, 02:20 AM

is there a way to intentionally filter or reduce the effect of moonbeam?

Inevitability
2016-01-09, 05:14 AM
is there a way to intentionally filter or reduce the effect of moonbeam?

Giving the targets a bunch of temporary HP/radiant resistance seems the obvious solution.

rollingForInit
2016-01-09, 05:15 AM

Well, if they die, obviously they were innocent and will spend eternity in the heavens.

Pinjata
2016-01-09, 08:34 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

Let me explain the background. PCs (they are lvl 7) have entered a village on Sword coast and like in Baldurs' Gate, I have tossed in a group of Doppelgangers that just want to loot the heck out of villagers.

PCs as they are have managed to stab the wrong villager, but have figured out shapeshifters are about. So, when this one guy wanted to check out a villager, he rolled 22 on Perception and I told him "no, you have no clue, weather this is a real peasant or a shapeshifter".

Then we had an hour of bickering, complaining and not listening to each other.

deathbymanga
2016-01-09, 09:46 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

Let me explain the background. PCs (they are lvl 7) have entered a village on Sword coast and like in Baldurs' Gate, I have tossed in a group of Doppelgangers that just want to loot the heck out of villagers.

PCs as they are have managed to stab the wrong villager, but have figured out shapeshifters are about. So, when this one guy wanted to check out a villager, he rolled 22 on Perception and I told him "no, you have no clue, weather this is a real peasant or a shapeshifter".

Then we had an hour of bickering, complaining and not listening to each other.

I'd allow for an insight roll to try and feel if they are being honest about who they are, but i'd add an addendum that without a magical means of seeing through a shapeshifter, you'll be stuck with instinct and deductive reasoning to identify if its a shapeshifter or not.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-09, 10:32 AM
I'd allow for an insight roll to try and feel if they are being honest about who they are, but i'd add an addendum that without a magical means of seeing through a shapeshifter, you'll be stuck with instinct and deductive reasoning to identify if its a shapeshifter or not.

Insight won't let you know if they're a shapechanger. Just if they're lying or not. So you'd have to ask them if they're aa shape changer, which puts you at risk.

SharkForce
2016-01-09, 12:59 PM
there is iirc a warlock invocation that can let you see a creature's natural shape.

you could also get decent results using the detect thoughts spell. it will be very un-subtle, but should work.

hawklost
2016-01-09, 04:07 PM
I always liked the approach of take them down a dark alley where no one else is around, then have the Fighter or Rogue stab them with melee but choose to "Knock them out" (which is an option if they would die instead).

If they live through the hit they are most likely a Doppleganger since no commoner would have that many hit points! And since they didn't die anyways, you can toss a gold to them when they wake up and/or just heal them to compensate (Commoners would love to get a gold!) :smallbiggrin:

OR

You can try a charm spell on anyone you see, if they resist you can take them aside and try option one. Since the Doppleganger is immune to charm effects

OR

Finally (somewhat more 'realistic') would be to put it in total darkness then threaten the person. Assuming it is a human it is pretending to be and not something that has darkvision, if it reacts to your visual threats or acts like it can more around the room when it shouldn't be able to see, then it has Darkvision, which would mean it isn't really a human.

krugaan
2016-01-09, 04:27 PM
I always liked the approach of take them down a dark alley where no one else is around, then have the Fighter or Rogue stab them with melee but choose to "Knock them out" (which is an option if they would die instead).

If they live through the hit they are most likely a Doppleganger since no commoner would have that many hit points! And since they didn't die anyways, you can toss a gold to them when they wake up and/or just heal them to compensate (Commoners would love to get a gold!) :smallbiggrin:

OR

You can try a charm spell on anyone you see, if they resist you can take them aside and try option one. Since the Doppleganger is immune to charm effects

OR

Finally (somewhat more 'realistic') would be to put it in total darkness then threaten the person. Assuming it is a human it is pretending to be and not something that has darkvision, if it reacts to your visual threats or acts like it can more around the room when it shouldn't be able to see, then it has Darkvision, which would mean it isn't really a human.

Kinda clever, i like!

Circle of death can check more people. Although i dont know if the dopplegangers would survive. Probably. Then the second circle of death...