PDA

View Full Version : For the Cthulhu Players Out There...The Loup-Garou

Cleb
2007-06-13, 02:15 PM
Okay, first...long time since I've been around the boards. In fact...might be years. Good to be back and reading through the various threads again. Think I'll probably find myself a bit more active now. Of course, I've never stopped reading OOTS. ;)

Now, on to business. I'm running a Cthulhu campaign with a four-player group in the 20's. I've stuck them in New Orleans around Mardis Gras time and they're tracking down some werewolf rumors. I think they might be sympathizing with a recently "turned" (for lack of a better term at the moment) victim/loup-garou and want to save her rather than eliminate her. Unfortunately, as I scan through my sourcebook, I can't find anything about "curing" the loup-garou or removing lycanthropy from a victim. I realize it's more of a curse than a disease...but still I'm thinking they'll wanna help her. I thought about introducing a spell for them to locate eventually that would remove the affliction...basically a house rule. But I'm curious if there is anything more "official" regarding its removal in the Cthulhu Mythos? I'm leaning towards a bleaker ending (as many Cthulhu investigations tend to be) but thought it might be a good thing to check around about anyway. If anybody's got anything, I'd appreciate the info!

Cheers!

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-13, 03:12 PM
I don't recall ever reading anything Lovecraft that details (or mentions) a possible cure for the loup-garou.

That said, being able to cure the victim outright seems to be a bit too 'happy' for a Cthulhu adventure :smallwink: I think that 'The Dunwich Horror' is the only story where humans end on a high note.

Perhaps a spell that cures an afflicted person exists, but doesn't quite cure it outright. Maybe it just transfers the affliction to someone else? Maybe the spell they found kills the lycanthrope instead of curing it (lost in translation)? Maybe they have to make a deal with some otherworldly force as part of the spell?

There are a couple of examples, but like you said, there should be some kind of 'bleakness' to the ending.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-13, 06:25 PM
I believe the COC cure for lycanthropy is putting a silver dagger through their heart.

If that's slightly too lethal to you, I'd suggest contacting a higher power, such as Hypnos, the Great Race of Yith, or Nyarlathothep. Hm yes, definitely talk to Nyarlathotep, he'd be happy to help you. Honestly.

Fascisticide
2007-06-13, 08:58 PM
In a survival horror game like COC it's important that the players have a sense of helplessness. Not for everything, but for some things the players should feel the frustration of not being able to change things despite all their will.
So give them hope... They find ancient texts about humans changing into monsters and who were cured of it. They have almost found the cure for their friend...
Then crush their hope. What they found is not about loup-garou, but the doing of some other revolting alien entities that the investigators need to stop unless doom and madness fall upon humankind (you just made a hook to another quest here).
And while they were gone, their loup-garou friend had killed again. He has more and more trouble controling his frenzies, and he will kill again unless something is done. He begs the investigators to spare his life, saying he will grow to control his powers, but everyone know it won't happen.
There is no happy ending for this one.

The New Bruceski
2007-06-13, 09:10 PM
Perhaps if they do eventually find a cure it's some extract that suppresses the transformations, but leaves the "cured" weakened and pretty much just this side of death's doorstep. If they stop taking it, everything comes back, strength and curse.

Sir_Ophiuchus
2007-06-13, 09:18 PM
Ah, I like this one, speaking as a Keeper who's done the loup-garou thing with his party as well.

It's not entirely fair to say there can never be a successful ending. Perhaps I'm too kind, but I've only killed one PC in a year of running CoC. It's the investigation, planning and atmosphere that matter.

In terms of spells, you want a modified version of Cage of Kind from the corebook - it locks the loup-garou into wolf form and drives them insane. It's a highly elaborate ritual spell. Creating a version that locks them in human form should be simple (creeping insanity optional). Other options include divine help, yes. Body Warping of Gorgoroth (permanent shapechange spell) could be used usefully here - it's a spell granted frequently by Nyarlathotep. Clever use of Reincarnation could also free the person from an infected body. Do it, it's a fabulous idea.

Needless to say, most of these have huge sanity costs to learn and cast. It is horrific, blasphemous magic after all!

The route I decided to take was having the person transform not due to an infection, but a magical focus (as with the actual loup-garou legends, might I point out) that they may or may not have been aware was causing it. This is what I came up with:

-----

Loup-Garou Amulet: This amulet is a simple chain with a stone of deeply unsettling red amber at its centre, a scarab beetle visible within it. When worn by an unwilling victim, it attempts to transform them into a loup-garou form on each night of a full moon. If the victim succeeds in a POW resistance roll, the amulet fails to transform them that night. The amulet has POW 10 for purposes of resistance rolls. Transformations are only for one night and the victim retains no memory of their ravening. Some victims can wear this amulet for years and be completely unaware of their enslavement. Used by cultists of Nyarlathotep in efforts to spread chaos and nightmare.

Crafting such an amulet requires a deeply unpleasant ritual involving, amongst other things, a human sacrifice. Dispelling its powers is even more difficult, and requires a spiritwalk to battle the soul trapped within, as well as some form of magic that will bind a spirit. Enjoy. If this is successful, the amber will either shatter or change to a normal yellow colour. The person who made it will suffer a magical backlash and be extremely annoyed. Unsurprisingly.

Simply sticking it in a box and forgetting about it will work too, but you'll have condemned the innocent spirit within to an eternity of imprisonment.

-----

Hope that helps! I like it because it's not only a means of saving the cursed individual, it's also a magical artifact, a potential threat, a clue, and a plot hook (two plot hooks, if you manage to involve its cultist creator)!

Cleb
2007-06-14, 08:07 AM
Appreciate the feedback from all. Good to see the Cthulhu community here in the forums. Let's see if I can throw some additional info out there as I go through your posts.

First, as to the unhappy endings of Cthulhu: I'm introducing a group of players to Cthulhu and the Mythos through this game. Two of them were relatively avid RPG gamers, one a minor gamer and the other is actually being simultaneously introduced to Lovecraft and RPG's (and finding he loves both as we get into our next session). We like kicking back with a libation or two, getting into character and just going as long as we can. My initial sessions were with a few of the characters individually (sort of a precursor and "recruitment" process into an organization involved with the Mythos...lame, I know...but easiest way to get them into the Mythos and keep them investigating...for a first-time Cthulhu campaign for them it just seemed the best route to take). Our first session with the group as a whole went about 16 hours. lol Yes, we are nerds-extraordinaire. ;) Anyhow, while I haven't avoided unhappy endings, I've certainly not avoided "successful" endings as well. I keep the consequences real, but have kept their threats a little more physical. Rat-Things infesting an apartment complex, an encounter with the Shan that left them a little worse for wear, and finally our biggest session: A group of cultists in a small town that abducted folks to feed to Ghouls they'd trapped in a section of the "sewer system" below the town's church. Their whacked out Protestant Minister/Cult Leader believed that the sacrifices were keeping Chaugnar Faugn happy and would result in eternal life somehow. The physical threats (i.e. the cultists, Ghouls and Rat-Things) were easily (well...by easily I mean "nearly got at least one investigator slaughtered each investigation and were fighting for survival and to avoid similar fates as the victims while simultaneously attempting to cover up their actions from authorities" lol) overcome while the Shan merely left them alive for thier own ulterior motivations. Anyway...that's my take there. So, as to a cure, I'd like them to find one. Though I am certainly contemplating having them locate one a little too late. ;) My thinking was a recurring villain, so to speak. A challenge in this female loup-garou who was, for a time, romantically involved with one of the investigators who got too close while trying to determine if she was a victim or a suspect. Anyway...I've ranted and raved enough. :p

I believe the COC cure for lycanthropy is putting a silver dagger through their heart.

If that's slightly too lethal to you, I'd suggest contacting a higher power, such as Hypnos, the Great Race of Yith, or Nyarlathothep. Hm yes, definitely talk to Nyarlathotep, he'd be happy to help you. Honestly.

ROFL! Yeah...that's generally how I operate with the cure for most things, myself. :p And, assuming I can't find too much else, it's probably the method and means I'll force them to utilize.

As for the big quest to find a cure because of semi-related texts...I like that. Definitely an option I'll consider...though I've started these folks in 1920 (they started right before prohibition went into effect, actually) and they're basically without a lot of access to texts (they haven't been too efficient, unfortunately, in locating too many books). Still, it should be easy enough to turn them on to a lead like that.

Ditto on the "suppression" cure. Another decent one. Probably to be used in conjunction with the above. A temporary fix until they find something better.

Finally, Sir_Ophiuchus, enjoyed yours the best (no offense to the others). I had thought exactly that with the Cage of Kind spell. Force them to keep reverting to the human form from their transformation. Maybe put some restrictions about when it can be cast. Like...before the loup-garou spends a second night under the full moon in its wolf form or maybe even force it to be cast while it's in wolf form under a full moon. Definitely could be an entertaining thing. Force them to try to keep her tied down long enough to perform the ritual (not to mention the process of learning the ritual) to add to the issues. If they can't, they're left with the call to either put her down or try to stave her off until the next full moon.

As for the amulet, I love it! Though, I went more with the "infectious disease" style of lycanthropy in this instance. Also, I'm playing the D20 version (I know some call that blasphemous itself, lol, but it was more for ease of introducing the various players that have more D20 experience than anything...think one of 'em has a little familiarity with the Palladium system but that's it). Not that I can't convert it, but just FYI I suppose. I appreciate the spell options and suggestions, Sir. I'll keep 'em in mind.

Thanks for the help all...nice to get the brain jogged as I go about this all.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-06-14, 11:14 AM
Read Neil Gaiman's parody/tribute to the Lovecraftian werewolves "Only the End of the World Again"

Lot's of fun ideas there

Gabriel_Luna
2007-06-14, 12:28 PM
Something to bear in mind when considering a cure for anything mythos-y is that you can never completely get away from it. Even if she no longer has any symptoms of werewolfyness, she's still been way too close to the mythos. One common theme in Lovecraft is that the mythos as a whole is corrosive, and once touched you will have problems. Even Armitage, the character who arguably handles it the best still has a few psychological problems to deal with. So even if they do find a cure, she's still screwed up in other ways.

Personally in that situation I'd play for pathos or drama. Perhaps she ends up cured, but then kills herself because of the lives she took when she was a mindless killing machine. Or even better, in an attempt to atone, she delves deeper into the mythos. I honestly see her as an excellent long term villain with the best of motives. Perhaps she's trying to restore those she killed to life, and ends up a powerful necromancer, or as a servant to someone who promises to help her. Or she might simply try to find some god to offer her absolution and redemption, and ends up a cultist of several deities, changing as she realizes they won't help her after all. Who knows what she might end up sinking to out of her sense of guilt and helplessness? And of course the effect on the PCs will be that much greater as they realize this nice woman they helped a year ago is behind all the recent atrocities. Not to mention she's doing it for a good reason, so they get to feel the choice of helping her or killing her all over again.

Cleb
2007-06-26, 11:22 AM
Well...thought I'd update those who gave me some advice on this particular issue. First though, let me preface this: I'm blaspheming. I'm running a long-term Call of Cthulhu campaign in the D20 version. As prefaced in an earlier post, it was just much easier to get them all involved that way and, I'll be honest...it's turned out to be quite a blast. I've probably grown a little too fond of the PC's in this group after six levels of investigating, but I do my best to keep the horror, despair and frustration of the setting there. I started them off in 1920 and my plan is to lead them through the foundation of a Delta Green/X-Files style organization within the federal government that investigates and catalogs paranormal phenomena and paranormal-related crime. My goal is to play the group through the decades up to present time...obviously acquiring new characters as time passes (or investigators die, rather) and playing within the organization founded originally by the PC's themselves. Rather than Delta Green, I plan to have my crew and their unique organization taking on the Innsmouth business in '28 and will likely use that as the catalyst that helps their organization finally make its push into federal oversight. Anyhow...a little background before I explain my resolution to the tale.

Sent the team down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras...and a series of unexplained animal attacks that have been growing in frequency. All signs pointed to one obvious suspect, unfortunately. And, initially, I assumed they would pursue that suspect relentlessly without realizing that she was in fact innocent. A rather savvy PC, completely unfamiliar with the loup-garou though concerned with their similarities to werewolves, feared there may be a pack and wanted to get close to the suspect. He moved into her apartment complex and began to realize she'd been turned (for lack of better terminology) without her knowledge and was trying to fight it as best she could. This is probably the only time I've ever given them an out, and it was largely because of the RP and drama and future potential of this now recurring character in our game. My savvy PC got too close to her (much too close) and "contracted" the disease himself.

After tracking down the natural-born loup garou that had turned her (by seducing her one evening as was later revealed through her diaries), they utilized a Cage of Kind spell that essentially worked in the reverse. They managed to learn it fast enough (just barely) and perform it in time to save both my PC and the girl. Now, my PC basically has a traumatized but kindly companion I intend to utilize later on...likely in some tragic respect as it's in keeping with tone.

Anyhow, that's how I took it. Appreciate the suggestions and ideas.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-26, 03:21 PM
Well...thought I'd update those who gave me some advice on this particular issue. First though, let me preface this: I'm blaspheming. I'm running a long-term Call of Cthulhu campaign in the D20 version. As prefaced in an earlier post, it was just much easier to get them all involved that way and, I'll be honest...it's turned out to be quite a blast. I've probably grown a little too fond of the PC's in this group after six levels of investigating, but I do my best to keep the horror, despair and frustration of the setting there. I started them off in 1920 and my plan is to lead them through the foundation of a Delta Green/X-Files style organization within the federal government that investigates and catalogs paranormal phenomena and paranormal-related crime. My goal is to play the group through the decades up to present time...obviously acquiring new characters as time passes (or investigators die, rather) and playing within the organization founded originally by the PC's themselves. Rather than Delta Green, I plan to have my crew and their unique organization taking on the Innsmouth business in '28 and will likely use that as the catalyst that helps their organization finally make its push into federal oversight. Anyhow...a little background before I explain my resolution to the tale.

Regardless of whether you used Chaosium CoC rules, or d20 rules, the important part is: did the players have fun? It sounds like they did, so you're on the right track. After all, the main reason to play is to have fun :smallbiggrin:

Sent the team down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras...and a series of unexplained animal attacks that have been growing in frequency. All signs pointed to one obvious suspect, unfortunately. And, initially, I assumed they would pursue that suspect relentlessly without realizing that she was in fact innocent. A rather savvy PC, completely unfamiliar with the loup-garou though concerned with their similarities to werewolves, feared there may be a pack and wanted to get close to the suspect. He moved into her apartment complex and began to realize she'd been turned (for lack of better terminology) without her knowledge and was trying to fight it as best she could. This is probably the only time I've ever given them an out, and it was largely because of the RP and drama and future potential of this now recurring character in our game. My savvy PC got too close to her (much too close) and "contracted" the disease himself.

After tracking down the natural-born loup garou that had turned her (by seducing her one evening as was later revealed through her diaries), they utilized a Cage of Kind spell that essentially worked in the reverse. They managed to learn it fast enough (just barely) and perform it in time to save both my PC and the girl. Now, my PC basically has a traumatized but kindly companion I intend to utilize later on...likely in some tragic respect as it's in keeping with tone.

Anyhow, that's how I took it. Appreciate the suggestions and ideas.

And to think other people were complaining about how CoC is always about cultists :smallwink: The adventure sounds quite interesting! What ended up happening to the natural loup garou? Did they kill it or did it get away? Depending on what happened, they may have made a dangerous enemy. Heck, you can even spin out a 'hidden' enemy in the shape of another 'victim' of the original loup-garou that embraced its transformation and wants to take revenge on the investigators that slew their master/mate. What do you have planned for the next leg of their journey?