PDA

View Full Version : Name my Fey Courts

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-09, 10:09 AM
Working on a setting with Seven Fairy courts and hit a complete mental block.
Names so far;
Coppercharm (Copper Crown)
Longshadow (Dark/Secret Crown)
Adderspine (Fanged Crown)
Thornwarden (Briar Crown)

I've come up with the Silver, Feathered and Ice/Sable Crowns as provisional ideas for the courts, but am open to interesting ideas.
Things Fey in my world like; songs, magic, plants, animals, Blood, dancing, nature, raw meat, archery
Things Fey in my world dislike; iron, Wizards, technology, science, humans (unless they're messing with them), laws.

All suggestions welcome!

avr
2016-01-09, 10:23 PM
Mistgather (Silver Crown)
Eagleclaw (Feathered Crown)
Hightower (Ice/Sable Crown)

Just the first few things that came to mind. If none of those suit I'd think 10 minutes with a thesaurus could produce plenty more in the same format.

kraftcheese
2016-01-10, 04:50 AM
Feathered court could be The Wind-dancers, The Choir of the Songbird

Ice/Sable could call their court The Conclave of Black Ice, The Winter Court

Silver could be the Argent Veins/Blood maybe?

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-10, 12:41 PM
I like Mistgather for Silver; I wanted to stay away from Ice/Snow/Cold words for Ice/Sable Crown, so Hightower has prospects. I don't really like the idea of a Tower though; fairies aren't really builders, so wouldn't have towers. Highwatcher sounds thematically good though; the court stands watch over the cold, high places of the world, watching for those who would Trespass and laughing at the unfortunate.

Blake Hannon
2016-01-16, 06:40 AM
What differentiates the courts? Do they each represent a type of terrain, an aspect of nature, or something else?

Eldan
2016-01-17, 05:22 AM
I like Mistgather for Silver; I wanted to stay away from Ice/Snow/Cold words for Ice/Sable Crown, so Hightower has prospects. I don't really like the idea of a Tower though; fairies aren't really builders, so wouldn't have towers. Highwatcher sounds thematically good though; the court stands watch over the cold, high places of the world, watching for those who would Trespass and laughing at the unfortunate.

Well, if you want the association with high, but not tower, peak? Sky? Skyheart. Peakborn. Stone-eye. Whitesummit. Crackfloe (skiers learn to fear that).

For silver, let's throw out a few silvery things: Moonbeam. Rimeflower. Spindrift. Dawnmist. Sunglint. Crystalshine.

Feathered is harder. Kingfisher. Talonstrike. Vane. Rachis. Heartquill. Stormcrow. Blue choir.

If you want a few other random ideas that sound feyish to me: Bloodmist, Windborn, Duskfoot, Bloodsong, Daydream, Longstride, Last Breath, Flintheart.

Rift_Wolf
2016-01-20, 01:43 PM
What differentiates the courts? Do they each represent a type of terrain, an aspect of nature, or something else?

I think they originally represented different environments, but over time intermarriage and wars have made them less concrete in structure. Thornwarden were originally forest Guardians, but their definitions of a forest and guarding one have altered. Longshadow were creatures of the Winter Sun, but have grown in influence and pomposity since.