PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 update from a non-WoTC source

The Smallest
2016-01-09, 12:38 PM
One of the books my group may is using, Kingdoms of Kalamar, is not published by WoTC but has an official D&D Licence (not sure what that means but our DM usually only allows WoTC stuff and he was ok with this book after a player told him about it). I found a 3.5 update on the publishers website (the book is 3.0) and I'm not sure if the update counts as 'official'. Could anyone help?

FocusWolf413
2016-01-09, 12:43 PM
It's technically third party, but it's WotC approved.

I think it's more important to ask whether it adds something fun and meaningful to the game. WotC discontinued 3.5 a long time ago. They haven't added anything in years. Something new can be fun.

The Glyphstone
2016-01-09, 12:48 PM
It's notable for a few hilariously broken items, like the metamagic Irresistible Spell that makes a spell have no saving throw, but otherwise it's just a generic 3rd-party sourcebook for 3.x that they paid extra for the WoTC stamp on it.

The Smallest
2016-01-09, 12:51 PM
Um... What I actually was asking is if the 3.5 update is 'official' or not. We are already using the book, I just want to know whether or not to bring it up. Sorry if I was unclear.

Manyasone
2016-01-09, 01:36 PM
Kenzerco was an officially licensed publisher for D20 products by WotC. I would say yes, it's all good. Have fun, it was my very first DM stint :-)

Grinner
2016-01-09, 01:43 PM
Um... What I actually was asking is if the 3.5 update is 'official' or not. We are already using the book, I just want to know whether or not to bring it up. Sorry if I was unclear.

That information should be contained in the PDF. However, judging by this (http://kenzerco.com/Orpg/kalamar/KPG5_feats.pdf), yes, it's 100% official Kenzerco-approved rules, with no added preservatives.

torrasque666
2016-01-09, 01:46 PM
Since the original book was published by a different company, albeit licensed by WoTC, then whatever that company says is errata, or updates, or what-have-you, is what matters. So if that same company is the one who published the update, then its officially an update.

Pluto!
2016-01-09, 03:21 PM
"Official" rules to a noncompetitive passtime is beyond stupid.

It's an update to materials you're playing, written by the content's original writer, for the express purpose of making the product compatible with the game you're playing.

No, WotC did not oversee that update with the same rigid quality control as upstanding publications like Complete Psionic, Savage Species or Dungeonscape. But I'm not sure how much that should matter.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-01-09, 08:40 PM

The 3.0 version is official 3rd party content. The 3.5 updates on the Kenzer and Co. website are an unofficial update to official 3rd party content. The 3.5 book "Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands" is an unofficial 3rd party book with content similar to the official book "Player's Handbook IV."

That being said, I would highly recommend playing with the errata and the 3.5 update. The "Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands" made some classes better, one awful (Spellsinger) and did little relevant beyond fixing "Irresistible Spell."

What I do for KoK stuff: Use "Dangerous Denizens" as written, except where I need to update to 3.5. Use "Player's Handbook IV" as written except I use the errata, the 3.5 update, and use the Irresistible Spell from "The Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands."

It's notable for a few hilariously broken items, like the metamagic Irresistible Spell that makes a spell have no saving throw, but otherwise it's just a generic 3rd-party sourcebook for 3.x that they paid extra for the WoTC stamp on it.

AFAIK they received the stamp for free on a few of their books because WotC stole content from Kenzer & Co by accident and this was part of their reparation.

The Smallest
2016-01-09, 09:03 PM
"Official" rules to a noncompetitive passtime is beyond stupid.

It's an update to materials you're playing, written by the content's original writer, for the express purpose of making the product compatible with the game you're playing.

No, WotC did not oversee that update with the same rigid quality control as upstanding publications like Complete Psionic, Savage Species or Dungeonscape. But I'm not sure how much that should matter.

No need to be rude. I only asked because the DM only accepts stuff that is WoTC approved. He has the belief that the designers at WoTC are completely infallible.