PDA

View Full Version : Mythology inspired 'Tinker' class.

JohnDoe
2016-01-09, 01:03 PM
I've seen a lot of 'steampunk' make its way into rpg settings, and that can often be a point of contention for many players.

Unlike most of the lore and mythology that we see in D&D for example, steampunk machines don't have very much historical context and can seem very out of place (revolver wielding gunslingers).

However, technology and 'tinkering' is well established in mythology. The important aspect of this is that the technologies of gods and legend were inspired in their respective times, rather than incorporated in retrospect with modern science.

Examples in Greek mythology alone:

Icarus' wings

Hephaestus' automatons (including Talos)

Hephaestus had the power to produce motion (magical). This can permit devices of perpetual motion.

The Greek animist idea that statues were in some respect alive, for example Hephaestus crafted lions/dogs from gold and silver to attack intruders.

Etc.

There are many examples from many, many other mythologies, I've just briefly touched on Greek mythology because I feel most are familiar with it.

Feel free to share any ideas that have their origins up to circa 1500. (Rapiers being introduced, crossbows fading out)

I've considered a black powder archetype / gunslinger-esque archetype for a more combat oriented (extra attack) build. Perhaps using superiority die as the basis for 'grit' like abilities.

This is primarily based upon the fact that firearms like the arquebus were used in large numbers circa the mid-late 1400's in Hungary. It's not too far fetched for an epic inventor to handle rare, early firearms, and improve upon them with superhuman ability --- especially when people already load and fire crossbows so quickly.

Maintaining devices is obviously easy to incorporate into short rests, and even 'preparing' devices from a schematic book (using the component pouch) during a long rest.

Int would be the Spellcasting modifier, and many of the mechanics of the wizard could be directly translated into a schematic book, spells into devices, etc.