PDA

View Full Version : You know, I'll bet there is a Priest of Odin feeling quite silly now

Lord
2016-01-09, 03:05 PM
Remember that one Priest of Odin waay back in the beginning of the comic. The one who refused to pass on the message that Banjo wanted to join the Northern Pantheon?

Well if Banjo had been admitted into the Northern Pantheon, Elan as the High Priest of Banjo would have been able to vote with the demigods. Consequently Hel's scheme would have failed in the outset, and Durkula would have been dusted on the spot.

Just pointing that out.

Pyrous
2016-01-09, 03:43 PM
You mean the priest of Freya (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html), naturally. Autocorrect sucks.

Well, if Banjo was a Northern Pantheon Demigod, the vote would be 4-3 no and Dvalin would still need to consult the Dwarven Council, depending on how absolute ties are handled.

Or the vote would be 4-3 yes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html) and Dvalin would still need to consult the Dwarven Council, depending on how absolute ties are handled.

What I'm trying to say is, depending on how absolute ties are handled, and how Banjo would vote you're either right, or Hel could have already won.

EDIT: And if you are right, there's a powerful priest of Thor feeling even sillier.

EDIT2: Elan would not be able to vote with the demigods though, because he would still not be one of them.

Euclidodese
2016-01-09, 04:07 PM
But Banjo is a god, not a demigod, and if he voted no, it would never have gone to the demigods...

Jasdoif
2016-01-09, 04:23 PM
Well if Banjo had been admitted into the Northern Pantheon, Elan as the High Priest of Banjo would have been able to vote with the demigods. Consequently Hel's scheme would have failed in the outset, and Durkula would have been dusted on the spot.Unlikely. Hel was in a prime position to learn of Banjo's agenda from HPoH through Durkon's memories, her scheme would had to have accounted for it. Probably by HPoH murdering Elan, either directly or through dominating Belkar.

Pyrous
2016-01-09, 04:26 PM
But Banjo is a god, not a demigod, and if he voted no, it would never have gone to the demigods...

It wouldn't have gone to the demigods if he had voted yes, either.

Kish
2016-01-09, 08:55 PM
I'm not at all clear on why "Hel's current scheme fails" equals "Hel's high priest is dusted on the spot." Does every representative on the losing side of a vote get summarily put to death? Did Fenris demand this clause? :smalleek:

theasl
2016-01-09, 09:43 PM
I'm not at all clear on why "Hel's current scheme fails" equals "Hel's high priest is dusted on the spot." Does every representative on the losing side of a vote get summarily put to death? Did Fenris demand this clause? :smalleek:

Ya know, I wouldn't be surprised at this point...

ORione
2016-01-09, 10:46 PM
The priest of Freya probably doesn't feel silly right now, because he probably doesn't know about the godsmoot.

LuisDantas
2016-01-09, 11:06 PM
I have a hard time attempting to believe that Banjo had much of a shot at entering the Pantheon back in #137.

Even if he did, he is a god with a few dozen followers at most. Does anyone truly believe he would be given greater voting privileges than traditional demigods?

Besides, sure, Durkon's memories would make it difficult to surprise Hel on the matter.

veti
2016-01-10, 04:52 AM

I'm speculating here, but - the moot reaches its decision, it ends, and the rules protecting its participants - expire. While it would make sense for the principals to have agreed to a truce extending until everyone gets home, or at least until they get a certain distance from the site of the moot - when the other priests realise what Lurky McCorpsewhiskers has done to the ushers, they may be willing to stretch the point at least to give Roy the support he needs to accomplish the actual dusting.

Valynie
2016-01-10, 06:24 AM
If Banjo was a member of the norse pantheon , Giggles his brother and rival would be too and their votes would cancel each other :smallsmile:

Evandar
2016-01-10, 07:36 AM
Why are we all assuming Banjo would vote 'no'?

:smalleek:

Kish
2016-01-10, 07:38 AM
I'm speculating here, but - the moot reaches its decision, it ends, and the rules protecting its participants - expire. While it would make sense for the principals to have agreed to a truce extending until everyone gets home, or at least until they get a certain distance from the site of the moot - when the other priests realise what Lurky McCorpsewhiskers has done to the ushers, they may be willing to stretch the point at least to give Roy the support he needs to accomplish the actual dusting.
I find the idea that the rules carefully set up to protect the priests include "as soon as a vote concludes all protections are lifted," and the first Godsmoot to be held under that rule did not have a body count of nearly all the attendants, and the next Godsmoot had not amended it--among the most ludicrous things I've read on this board, in a field of stiff competition, I'm afraid.

That said, I doubt Lord had thought it through that far; I suspect his thought processes are more like "the High Priest of Hel loses = the end of this plot arc, the end of this plot arc = the High Priest of Hel is killed."

veti
2016-01-10, 04:25 PM
I find the idea that the rules carefully set up to protect the priests include "as soon as a vote concludes all protections are lifted," and the first Godsmoot to be held under that rule did not have a body count of nearly all the attendants, and the next Godsmoot had not amended it--among the most ludicrous things I've read on this board, in a field of stiff competition, I'm afraid.

Up to the vote, if one of the priests gets... abused, that's Serious, because it would affect their deity's ability to take part. It makes sense that the gods themselves would treat that with the utmost gravity, and be extremely strict in their rules.

After the vote - that becomes, if you'll pardon the pun, moot. So, while presumably the deities would still care somewhat about the welfare of their high priests, it's not as all-important as it was before. As I said, it makes sense for the priests to have agreed a truce extending beyond the duration of the moot itself, but it may no longer be enforced by their gods and the forces of cosmic Law (or whatever) - so they may feel they have more latitude to, umm, interpret the terms.

Jasdoif
2016-01-10, 04:44 PM
Up to the vote, if one of the priests gets... abused, that's Serious, because it would affect their deity's ability to take part. It makes sense that the gods themselves would treat that with the utmost gravity, and be extremely strict in their rules.

After the vote - that becomes, if you'll pardon the pun, moot. So, while presumably the deities would still care somewhat about the welfare of their high priests, it's not as all-important as it was before. As I said, it makes sense for the priests to have agreed a truce extending beyond the duration of the moot itself, but it may no longer be enforced by their gods and the forces of cosmic Law (or whatever) - so they may feel they have more latitude to, umm, interpret the terms.That only makes sense if Godsmoots are exceedingly rare (which is clearly not the case, since Wrecan's been to multiple), or if Godsmoots are a recognized way to for a deity to "retire" high priests elsewhere in the pantheon (which seems exceptionally unlikely). High priests are still the pinnacle of their deity's influence on the world, after all; allowing them to be slaughtered any time there's a reason for the gods to hash things out isn't going to be good for gaining new priests, which is going to cut down on gaining worshipers in general. That's still serious.

All that said, if an all-out buff-fest is out of the question because of influencing the vote (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1002.html), then once the vote is concluded that could come back on the table. There might be enough spell support to let Roy to overwhelm HPoH.