PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking to create a high evasion character

Jastre1988
2016-01-09, 05:58 PM
Hello,

I have only recently joined into the D&D community so I am quite new to character creation plus the whole rolling and such. I am in a game at the moment with a really helpful Dungeon Master, however I want to create my own character rather then ask him.

My idea for my character is to be like an assassin with very high evasion, that way I can do some damage while being able to evade all the enemies attacks. Can someone help me out with making this ideal character? Thank you.

I got referred to these forums by a fellow player in my game and he says that some of you might be able to help what I am looking for.

Thank you,

Jaster

2016-01-09, 06:14 PM
Alright, so there's a few different things you'll want for a high-defenses assassin (high defense characters in general, actually):
High Armor Class, including Flat-Footed and Touch AC
Miss Chance, the higher the better
Improved Evasion (and maybe Mettle)
Cheap healing (Wand of CLW/Lesser Vigor, Gloves of at-will CLW/Lesser Vigor, Fast Healing, etc.)
Greater/Superior Invisibility, to force foes to guess at your location

There's lots of ways to do these things, but I and many others around here are of the opinion that the best defense is a good offense; along those lines, I suggest you look up the old Jack B Quick builds. The basic idea is that, for every attack a foe gets against you, you get multiple attacks against them (through blatant abuse of the AoO rules).

Jastre1988
2016-01-09, 08:51 PM
Alright, so there's a few different things you'll want for a high-defenses assassin (high defense characters in general, actually):
High Armor Class, including Flat-Footed and Touch AC
Miss Chance, the higher the better
Improved Evasion (and maybe Mettle)
Cheap healing (Wand of CLW/Lesser Vigor, Gloves of at-will CLW/Lesser Vigor, Fast Healing, etc.)
Greater/Superior Invisibility, to force foes to guess at your location

There's lots of ways to do these things, but I and many others around here are of the opinion that the best defense is a good offense; along those lines, I suggest you look up the old Jack B Quick builds. The basic idea is that, for every attack a foe gets against you, you get multiple attacks against them (through blatant abuse of the AoO rules).

Okay, I shall try all of this :) Thank you :)

Calimehter
2016-01-09, 09:19 PM
Can you slip the Evasive Reflexes feat into a Jack B Quick type of build to swap out the attacks of opportunity for a load of 5-foot step dodging?

2016-01-09, 10:24 PM
Can you slip the Evasive Reflexes feat into a Jack B Quick type of build to swap out the attacks of opportunity for a load of 5-foot step dodging?

Probably not to the extent that you think: Jack B Quick takes a single opportunity and combines the feats (IIRC) Double Hit, High Sword Low Ax, and Improved Trip to basically guarantee 4 attacks and a trip; he's not actually getting 5 AoOs for every opportunity, he's just extending how ridiculous each AoO is. That being said, Evasive Reflexes should certainly grant you movement, just not a crap-ton of it...and I believe it would trigger Skirmish on your remaining attacks (which seems lovably abusable, now that I think on it).

I built a reach-weapon version of Jack B Quick awhile back; he basically took the Jack B Quick concept and extended the area covered from "every square within 5 ft" to "every square within 60 ft", as well as throwing Great Cleave and Lightning Mace+Roundabout Kick+Aptitude weapon cheese onto the already ridiculous build.