PDA

View Full Version : Manacles without locks?

Yogibear41
2016-01-10, 12:28 AM
The PHB says this about Manacles:

Manacles and Manacles, Masterwork: The manacles detailed
on Table 7–8: Goods and Services can bind a Medium creature. A
manacled creature can use the Escape Artist skill to slip free (DC 30,
or DC 35 for masterwork manacles). Breaking the manacles requires
a Strength check (DC 26, or DC 28 for masterwork manacles).
Manacles have hardness 10 and 10 hit points. Most manacles have
locks; add the cost of the lock you want to the cost of the manacles

So if a manacle didn't have a lock how exactly would that work rules wise? Would it be something that is a one time use, and then required some sort of smithing/craft check to take it off/make it able to be put on someone else again. Or would the creature/captive in question simply be able to "take them off"

Would it matter if I didn't care whether or not I had to dismember the creature in question to get it off of them, but didn't want to have to do anything in particular to reuse them?

FocusWolf413
2016-01-10, 12:33 AM
Some of them just use a pin to hold it closed.

Crake
2016-01-10, 01:35 AM
Some of them just use a pin to hold it closed.

For slaves and the like, the manacles may be welded shut to hold it in place too.

Yogibear41
2016-01-10, 03:53 AM
Well I mean yeah I know that more or less, just trying to see how it should be handled rules wise. I guess its just up to the DM.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-10, 04:24 AM
Well I mean yeah I know that more or less, just trying to see how it should be handled rules wise. I guess its just up to the DM.

Common sense dictates that such things be designed to be re-used. Ergo, you wouldn't be required to break them to remove them.

As mentioned, a simple pin or similar instrument would suffice to keep the manacles closed. The inherent restriction of movement would stop the wearer from removing it, but it would be trivial for another person (such as a guard or jailer, but also another prisoner). Unsecured manacles wouldn't work for groups without the strictest supervision, but even the simplest locks will stop 99% of prisoners from escaping.

Rules-wise, opening such manacles wouldn't require any more skill than opening a lock with the appropriate key.

TheCrowing1432
2016-01-10, 04:31 AM
Lockless manacles would have a clasp that keeps them closed. They could be pulled apart to be opened, but not while they are being worn. Another set of hands could easily free the lockless manacles.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-11, 06:30 AM
They can also have a pin hole that allows a conventional lock to be used to hold them shut. This allows one to change the lock in the case of keys going missing or such. One can also cut the lock off without breaking the manacles themselves.

Telok
2016-01-11, 04:27 PM
The traditional way is to use a rivet. It requires a small forge to attach. To remove it requires tools and either time, noise, or freedom.

Vizzerdrix
2016-01-11, 05:18 PM
I always just thought you payed for the lock separate.

Telonius
2016-01-12, 06:53 AM
I'd probably rule that a "lock-less manacle" would follow the regular Escape Artist rules. Escape Artist isn't doing anything in particular to the lock mechanism; that would be an Open Lock check, not Escape Artist. I imagine an Escape Artist check to be something like a magician escaping from a straitjacket: contorting your own body to get it out of whatever's trying to restrain it.

If the manacles are somehow constructed to prevent any motion (like, metal tightened directly next to your skin, leaving no space at all, and no way to loosen it), Escape Artist wouldn't be possible. You'd be down to either damaging the object or trying to beat the Break DC.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-12, 07:24 AM
I'd probably rule that a "lock-less manacle" would follow the regular Escape Artist rules. Escape Artist isn't doing anything in particular to the lock mechanism; that would be an Open Lock check, not Escape Artist. I imagine an Escape Artist check to be something like a magician escaping from a straitjacket: contorting your own body to get it out of whatever's trying to restrain it.

If the manacles are somehow constructed to prevent any motion (like, metal tightened directly next to your skin, leaving no space at all, and no way to loosen it), Escape Artist wouldn't be possible. You'd be down to either damaging the object or trying to beat the Break DC.

RAW, escape artist works regardless of the lock. They are both two ways of solving the same problem.

Willie the Duck
2016-01-12, 09:08 AM
The traditional way is to use a rivet. It requires a small forge to attach. To remove it requires tools and either time, noise, or freedom.

Exactly. Easy peasey with hammer and chisel, but if those aren't handy... A lot cheaper than individual locks. Although I think the reason that they are listed in the equipment list in this fashion is more so you can purchase the lock separate (and thus making it easier to list out different costs on the lockpicking challenge).

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-12, 09:12 AM
I could also see a piece of metal being pushed through the pin and bent into a curve to prevent it from being pulled out. An ogre would find this an easier way to hold their next meal fresh rather than fiddling with little bitty locks and keys.