PDA

View Full Version : Question about Eldritch Invocations level requirements

The DS Acolyte
2016-01-10, 01:12 AM
So I am about to make a new character starting at level 1 and his first level will be fighter and then I will be doing a pact of the blade warlock from 2nd level onward

My question is, does the level requirement for the thirsting blade invocation (page 111) refer to the overall character level or warlock level specifically

Not quite sure how to interpret it although cantrip level scaling is according to overall character level so I am leaning towards overall character level

georgie_leech
2016-01-10, 01:27 AM
IIRC, the reason that cantrips scale with character level and not class level is that they're not part of the class section. Invocations, being specific to Warlocks, reference Warlock level.

Foxhound438
2016-01-10, 01:30 AM
the player handbook errata clarifies that it is in fact warlock level. This basically prevents getting things like Lifedrinker (a super strong invocation) on a fighter by taking 2-3 levels in warlock. It's the same way with anything else, you can't get stunning strike with only a 2 level dip into monk for the same reason.

Gnomes2169
2016-01-10, 01:30 AM
As specified in the eratta (and thus PHBs printed since the eratta came out, so it's not in all of them unfortunately), warlock invocations are specifically referring to your warlock level, not your character level. Which makes some sense, seeing as it's a class feature, not a cantrip or spell other casters (or people with a feat) can poach and use with their existing resources.

The DS Acolyte
2016-01-10, 04:42 AM
Thank you all for the clarification

My phb is pre errata unfortunately so I better download it and study it a little