PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Name for a shield using order?

Ninja_Grand
2016-01-10, 06:15 PM
So my new concept for a PC is one that in a militant church that is all about crushing you enemy preferably with a giant two handed weapon. But this PC belongs to a sect that believes the best offense is a good defense. They focus on shield use, wars of attrition, and well thought tactics. But for the life of me I cant think of a good name for this order. I feel the name needs to show they are the best defenders, but still at heart warriors. The best I thought of was Spike Sentinels but I dont like that at all :smallsigh:.

So what names can you think of?

Also:Bonus points if you can think of titles as well. In the above example, I was thinking the followers of the sect can be called Thorns, The priests Spikes, and the big boss Spearhead.

ImNotTrevor
2016-01-10, 06:38 PM
The Stonewall Pact
The Order of the Aegis
The Council of the Bulwark
The Guardian Order
The Shieldbearer Quorum
Holy Order of the Barricade
The United Brotherhood of the Rampart
The Ziggurat Priests
Bishops of the Bastion

Mix and match pieces of those until something rolls off the tongue.

I would also use lots of these words (Aegis, Buttress, Bulwark, Bastion) as ranks. Rather than spikey things that suggest spears, rather than shields.

HammeredWharf
2016-01-10, 06:47 PM
I'd reserve the fancy name for the bigger organization and give the cult a simpler and clearer one, something that sounds like it's used inside the church, like The Bulwark.

plllizzz
2016-01-10, 08:19 PM
The Mirrors of (name/god of the original order).

Partially cause of the mythical 'shield as mirror' image, partially since they stand in opposition to offensive nature of the rest of the order. For titles you could have Shards, Mirrors and the head, Kaleidoscope.

Rollin
2016-01-10, 08:40 PM
The Phalanx? The Shieldwall? Add "Holy", etc., if wanted.

The head, or even the inner council, could simply be the Boss (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_boss).

Chijinda
2016-01-10, 09:36 PM
The Guardians
The Iron Watch
Legion of the Aegis
Dauntless Guard
The Unyielding

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

shadow_archmagi
2016-01-10, 09:56 PM
Agents of Shield

Ninja_Grand
2016-01-10, 11:04 PM
The Stonewall Pact
The Order of the Aegis
The Council of the Bulwark
The Guardian Order
The Shieldbearer Quorum
Holy Order of the Barricade
The United Brotherhood of the Rampart
The Ziggurat Priests
Bishops of the Bastion

Mix and match pieces of those until something rolls off the tongue.

I would also use lots of these words (Aegis, Buttress, Bulwark, Bastion) as ranks. Rather than spikey things that suggest spears, rather than shields.
Great stuff here! Thanks for your help.

The Mirrors of (name/god of the original order).

Partially cause of the mythical 'shield as mirror' image, partially since they stand in opposition to offensive nature of the rest of the order. For titles you could have Shards, Mirrors and the head, Kaleidoscope.
Now this, this is a idea. I dont think its going to be the name, but its definitely going to be a name.

Agents of Shield
Well played :smalltongue:

Douche
2016-01-11, 11:29 AM
I've been playing Diablo 3 as a crusader and have a pretty sweet blocking build. I cause electricity, a holy explosion, and a giant firebeam that shoots straight ahead every time I block... it's awesome to see when I put my buff up and block like 10 hits in a row, everything just dies without my input. Oh, and my main damage ability is throwing my shield lol.

So anyway, I think they're just called the Order of the Crusaders. or the Crusader Order, I dunno. Maybe the Order of Akkhan (the first crusader). I like something abstract rather than them being all "Look at us guys, we're all about the shields!"

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-11, 12:06 PM
So my new concept for a PC is one that in a militant church that is all about crushing you enemy preferably with a giant two handed weapon. But this PC belongs to a sect that believes the best offense is a good defense. They focus on shield use

So they use giant two handed shields?

halfeye
2016-01-11, 12:32 PM
That's marvelous.

On the less sarcastic hand, testudousa (or some better variant, which may well not be so difficult to write) after the Roman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testudo_formation

Sol
2016-01-11, 02:53 PM
That's marvelous.

On the less sarcastic hand, testudousa (or some better variant, which may well not be so difficult to write) after the Roman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testudo_formation

There's a 4e paragon path (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/paragonpath.aspx?id=650) for that.

It's pretty terrible, but it exists.

edit: and Snapping Tetsudos would be a pretty badass order name.

TeChameleon
2016-01-11, 07:49 PM
Well, if the order is a quasi-heretical subgroup of a more offense-focussed bunch, perhaps 'Repeat Defenders' or 'Serial Defenders'?

... wait... 'Walladins'! :smallbiggrin:

Sam113097
2016-01-11, 10:50 PM
Here are are few ideas:
The Wardens
Legion of Stone
The Walls That Walk
Iron Sentinels
The Shepards

GrayDeath
2016-01-12, 08:42 AM
If they focus on Defense and henvce are shieldfocussed I`d go with a bit more abstraction.

(If necessary Order of...)
The Wall
The Line
The Bastion

Clean, simple, no frills. As a good Defense.

If however the Shield Focus is supposed to be more fluffy/central to the Mindset, most of the above suggestions beat me to it. ^^

Comet
2016-01-12, 08:49 AM
The Block.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-12, 09:18 AM
The Block.

And their leader Lego Lass?

(On a less silly note, I do actually like that name.)

Anxe
2016-01-12, 11:11 PM

Also known as doors.

The Paternal Line? Evokes a feeling of ancestry if that's part of the order. Fathers are about protecting their family and when they protect their country they draw a line in the sand saying, "This is where it ends. They advance no further!"

I like The Wall best out of what's been suggested.

"WE are the WALL! I Am a Brick. I am held together with my brothers by mortar! This Shield is my mortar. I must not let it break or crack for without it my brother is defenseless. Without my brother, I am defenseless."
"Hold your shields high for The Wall must Hold!"

goto124
2016-01-13, 12:56 AM
The Paternal Line? Evokes a feeling of ancestry if that's part of the order. Fathers are about protecting their family

Er... depends on the nature of the organization and the setting. This sounds rather sexist in quite a few ways. It'll be weird for any women wishing to join, for example.

It would work as well if it's extended to parents in general, instead of fathers (male parents) exclusively - especially when there's no reason to exclude equally strong mothers (female parents).

The Parental Line (or something more catchy) would still evoke the feeling of ancestry, without somehow implying that only men are able to protect.

If the setting is sexist, go ahead. But otherwise, it doesn't really fit.

GrayDeath
2016-01-13, 01:51 PM
Also known as doors.

"WE are the WALL! I Am a Brick. I am held together with my brothers by mortar! This Shield is my mortar. I must not let it break or crack for without it my brother is defenseless. Without my brother, I am defenseless."

Thank you. Thats almost exactly what I envisioned when suggesting it. :)

Beleriphon
2016-01-13, 02:17 PM

That is suitably quotable. I can already envision the scene in a movie. I'd actually have something like that be the main tenet of their interpretation of the faith. That would be really cool if the original warrior who issued said quote was reaching a deification in the particular sect.

Lord Torath
2016-01-13, 02:42 PM
Also known as doors.

The Paternal Line? Evokes a feeling of ancestry if that's part of the order. Fathers are about protecting their family and when they protect their country they draw a line in the sand saying, "This is where it ends. They advance no further!"

"Hold your shields high for The Wall must Hold!"So you're saying you're "just another brick in the wall"? :smalltongue:

(Sorry, couldn't resist the Pink Floyd reference. "We don't need no education! We don't need know forced control!")

GloatingSwine
2016-01-13, 02:57 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GHVdkWv8drk/maxresdefault.jpg

Anyway, you could call them something like The Left Hand of X (where X is the name of the god in question), given that the shield is usually used in the left hand.

EtuBrutus
2016-01-15, 01:34 AM
The Aspides?

BootStrapTommy
2016-01-15, 01:47 AM
The Aspides?If we're gunna name them after shields: The Hoplons.

1of3
2016-01-15, 04:48 AM
The Turtles.

AMFV
2016-01-15, 08:46 AM
Unbroken Line

The Unshakable

Stone Soldiers.

halfeye
2016-01-15, 10:50 AM
The Turtles.
Taking it in another direction entirely, the turtle heads. :smallwink:

nedz
2016-01-15, 03:37 PM
The Rock

And then name the top ranks after hard minerals: Diamond, Adamantine, etc.
Non members would be termed Clay.
Novices, Chalk.

There are a lot of obvious metaphors you can use, or recycle, to add more verisimilitude to the cult.

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-15, 03:48 PM
I think they're just called the Order of the Crusaders. or the Crusader Order, I dunno. Maybe the Order of Akkhan (the first crusader) I like that. Crusader is what I usually play to start a season. Good mix of melee or ranged, depending upon what I feel like.