PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic The Gathering 5e overhaul project [WIP]

MAL1CE
2016-01-11, 02:22 AM
So I have looked around and found only traces of a working MTG system for D&D, and this frustrates me. I want very badly to host a campaign in the MTG universe and I don't half ass these sorts of things. As such, I've dedicated my time to a very in depth MTG expansion pack for D&D 5e.

mtgdnd.jimdo.com

As there is way too much to post here, I am compiling my own website dedicated to this project. I welcome ideas, suggestions and critiques. I also invite people to use and alter my system for their own campaigns.

PS: I'd like to note that this is VERY much a WIP

Disclaimer: MTG is not mine, it is the intellectual property wizards of the coast. I'm just really into it...

Steampunkette
2016-01-11, 04:16 AM
I'm Keenly Interested.

http://resizing.flixster.com/SVEbh2clm8W9Nanol0UkvcQk6Y8=/600x337/dkpu1ddg7pbsk.cloudfront.net/photo/54/09/93/5409930_ori.jpg

dokugin
2016-01-11, 05:42 AM
Love MTG, love the planes walker subclass idea

MAL1CE
2016-01-21, 01:48 AM
Update: Added races and put some work into spell colors.

ZenBear
2016-01-21, 03:50 PM
Good stuff!

A few spells I would swap around:

Compel Duel should be White

Enlarge/Reduce and Control Weather should be Green.

Pretty much all Divination spells should be Blue.

That's all I got at first glance. I will keep adding suggestions as I get more time to look into it.

MAL1CE
2016-01-26, 11:31 AM
Good stuff!

A few spells I would swap around:

Compel Duel should be White

Enlarge/Reduce and Control Weather should be Green.

Pretty much all Divination spells should be Blue.

That's all I got at first glance. I will keep adding suggestions as I get more time to look into it.

The reason that compel duel is red is that red has a characteristic of rage and damage, whereas white has the characteristic of protection and lawfulness. Many red cards are based around the idea of forcing combat, whereas white typically is protection from negative effects and restrictions on opponents. Also, red was suffering a shortage of spells... I see where you are coming from with this, though.

I may change Enlarge/reduce and Control weather, once I see the chart finished first draft.

The only reason that all divination spells aren't blue is because blue had a stupidly high number of spells in my initial draft, so I ended up removing some. I don't want all my players choosing blue as primary color just because blue has more spells.

Thanks for the input, feel free to make suggestions or even additions to my work :)

PotatoGolem
2016-01-27, 09:53 AM
Blue should also have all the charm/dominate line of spells- control magic is a classic blue effect. Although crown of madness and similar short or limited mind control could be red- mtg equivalent of threaten effects.

thoroughlyS
2016-01-27, 03:06 PM
I gave my two cents on Zendikar Goblins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20202667&postcount=3) a while ago. This might be useful to you.

dokugin
2016-01-27, 07:28 PM
What happened to your forum on the site?

PotatoGolem
2016-01-27, 09:33 PM
Actually, on further reflection, the wizard schools break down nicely into Magic colors for the most part:

Abjuration- White
Conjuration- All colors, but moreso in green
Divination- Blue, maybe some black for things like Speak With Dead
Enchantment- Mostly blue, some red, some black on debuffs, some white
Evocation- Mostly red, some blue for cold spells
Illusion- Blue
Necromancy- Black
Transmutation- Mostly green, some blue

MAL1CE
2016-01-28, 09:20 AM
What happened to your forum on the site?

It started crashing or redirecting the page, not sure why. So I deleted it. I'm looking for another one to replace it...

MAL1CE
2016-01-28, 09:23 AM
Actually, on further reflection, the wizard schools break down nicely into Magic colors for the most part:

Abjuration- White
Illusion- Blue
Necromancy- Black

I considered this approach, and its absolutely a viable option, if you would rather use that method. I chose to hand pick spells in an effort to balance the distribution. It's quite difficult, and I'm going to have to fill in some of the blanks with homebrew spells, maybe derived from mtg instants, sorceries and enchantments.

MAL1CE
2016-01-28, 09:29 AM
I gave my two cents on Zendikar Goblins a while ago. This might be useful to you.

I like this race, but If I use it, I'd probably not specify zendikar goblins. I like to give my players some options. A vampire, for example, could be from innistrad, zendikar, ravnica, etc... It adds variety to the background. Do I have your permission to include this race?

dokugin
2016-01-29, 02:48 AM

Abjuration- White
Illusion- Blue
Necromancy- Black

Evocation should have some white because oddly enough there are several healing spells that sit in the evocation categories

PotatoGolem
2016-01-29, 05:13 PM
On a broader note, I'm super glad someone is doing this. I went to the Oath prerelease with one of my D&D buddies, and we really wanted to play MtG D&D. Was bummed that all the attempts so far have fizzled, so I'm hoping this project keeps going!

I considered this approach, and its absolutely a viable option, if you would rather use that method. I chose to hand pick spells in an effort to balance the distribution. It's quite difficult, and I'm going to have to fill in some of the blanks with homebrew spells, maybe derived from mtg instants, sorceries and enchantments.

I don't think you necessarily need to have the number of spells for each color be the same to have them all be viable options. Blue, for instance, has a lot of spells, but few of them are super strong combat options- it's mostly out of combat stuff like enchantments and divinations. The current wizard schools aren't balanced in the number of spells each offers, but that doesn't make the schools with more spells seem stronger than the ones with less.

Also, right now there's almost no U/B and way too many colorless- colorless spells are pretty rare in MtG. It's almost all artifacts and Eldrazi.

If you don't mind, here's my impression of good colors at least for wizard cantrips- I can do the other spells/classes if that's helpful for you.

W
-Blade Ward
-Dancing Lights
-Light

U
-Frostbite
-Prestidigitation (could also be colorless)
-Minor Illusion
-Ray of Frost
-Shape Water
-True Strike

B
-Chill Touch

R
-Control Flames
-Create Bonfire
-Fire Bolt
-Friends (this is essentially Threaten)
-Shocking Grasp
-Thunderclap

G
-Acid Splash
-Gust
-Mold Earth
-Poison Spray

Colorless
-Mage Hand
-Mending
W/B are weak in this list, but I think they'll be stronger in the Cleric and Warlock list, and G will pick up a lot from Druid. It seems fair that wizard spells have a lot of U/R, given that a lot of MtG wizards are in those colors.

MAL1CE
2016-01-30, 12:23 AM
On a broader note, I'm super glad someone is doing this. I went to the Oath prerelease with one of my D&D buddies, and we really wanted to play MtG D&D. Was bummed that all the attempts so far have fizzled, so I'm hoping this project keeps going!

I don't think you necessarily need to have the number of spells for each color be the same to have them all be viable options. Blue, for instance, has a lot of spells, but few of them are super strong combat options- it's mostly out of combat stuff like enchantments and divinations. The current wizard schools aren't balanced in the number of spells each offers, but that doesn't make the schools with more spells seem stronger than the ones with less.

Also, right now there's almost no U/B and way too many colorless- colorless spells are pretty rare in MtG. It's almost all artifacts and Eldrazi.

If you don't mind, here's my impression of good colors at least for wizard cantrips- I can do the other spells/classes if that's helpful for you.

I am all for suggestions and submissions. I do like this cantrip list. Without looking at my notes, I'm not sure how much it differs from my own. If you want to take on the (massive) job of resorting spells, I would love to see what you come up with. As for now, I will work on finishing my first draft, and then I may edit it from there (based on input from all of you.)

By the way, Im already running a campaign in MTG D&D, and creating/uploading content as I go. I fully intend to see this project through to the end. Getting help from other people here will really fuel the fire. If you have any ideas at all, feel free to throw them my way.

dokugin
2016-01-30, 02:44 AM
That moment when you realize you know potato in real life.
https://media.giphy.com/media/R2JueF2gu4Z9u/giphy.gif
Also if you were ever thinking of throwing together a pdf for all this I would love to pitch in some photoshope skills to help out.

PotatoGolem
2016-01-30, 12:26 PM
Here's my work so far- all spells up to level 2. WIP, obviously.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJYH77Rl2Ej5gXGvIk2qp0UHjVwqgLMzxDsflboVG Oc

Your list so far has almost nothing for W/U/B- maybe the site just hasn't been updated?

And yes, turns out Doku is the guy I was talking about this project with. Small world. Doku, Flashy is our long-suffering knowledge cleric, if you didn't already know.

It seems to be that there's two ways to handle spellcasters. The easy way is to assign existing classes mana colors. The hard way is to make new MtG-specific casters.

Easy Way

Bard- UW
Cleric- WB, domain spells count as colorless if not on your normal list
Druid- G and your choice of R or W, same caveat as clerics
EK- W or R
Paladin- W, same caveat as clerics
Ranger- G
AT- U
Sorceror- Probably just R, but I could see letting FS take W instead or WM take any one color
Wizard- UBR
Warlock- B, same caveat as clerics, can take EB as a black cantrip

The easy way has the advantage of not needing a lot of homebrew. The disadvantages are a) losing MtG flavor and b) possible imbalance, since the classes are designed with their current lists in mind.

Hard Way

Make all new spellcaster classes and subclasses!

Guildmage (two-color caster) (question marks where I can't remember what they call their mages)
-Azorius Lawmage (WB)
-Orzhov Advokist (WB)
-Boros Battlemage (WR)
-Selesnaya Druid (WG) ?
-Dimir Shadowmage (UB) ?
-Izzet Sparkmage (UR)
-Simic Biomancer (UG)
-Rakdos Bloodwitch (BR)
-Golgari Necromancer (BG) ?
-Gruul Shaman (RG)

Spellshaper (mono-color caster- less versatile but more powerful in their color)
W- Heiromancer, Healer, etc
U- Telepath, Cryomancer, etc
B- Necromancer, Diabolist, etc
R- Pyromancer
G- Druid

MAL1CE
2016-01-30, 10:03 PM
I'm down, lets make a pdf when this is all done. For the sake of my current campaign, im gonna keep the spell list as is (yeah its unfinished on the site.) I like the spell sorting youve done so far though, and when its done Ill gladly change it over.

For now, we'll do the easy way and keep the current classes, but in time Id like to switch it over to all new mtg classes.

I think that guildmage could be a class in itself, and you would simply pick two spell colors. Then spell shapers would be limited to one, but have some big perks, and wizards could learn up to three depending on the path they choose.

There could also be an artificer, and then some of the nonmagical classes with some tweaks to allow a few spells, like fighters and rogues.

An Enemy Spy
2016-01-30, 10:17 PM
Compel Duel should be Green, not White or Red. It already exists in the card game as the Fight effect, which is typically a Green ability.

MAL1CE
2016-01-30, 10:42 PM
Compel Duel should be Green, not White or Red. It already exists in the card game as the Fight effect, which is typically a Green ability.

I'd make the arguement that it could be all three. It depends on how you interpret it. It could be Lawful binding magic, mind control, aggrivation or any other number of things.

PotatoGolem
2016-01-31, 12:48 AM
Yeah my thought for guildmage was that it was a base class, and the specific guilds would be archetypes. Like color choice for a base spellshaper

MAL1CE
2016-01-31, 01:50 AM
Yeah my thought for guildmage was that it was a base class, and the specific guilds would be archetypes. Like color choice for a base spellshaper

I could see guild mages working similarly to sorcerers, but with more spell options within their colors. What do you think of making a guild mage that uses an arcane focus but is not limited to the sorcerer spell list?

Durazno
2016-01-31, 04:28 AM
I think that the trick for including Zendikari goblins would be to allow them as a subtype of goblins, much like we have Hill and Mountain dwarves. That could be a (relatively) easy way to work in some planar variation.

MAL1CE
2016-01-31, 11:53 AM
I think that the trick for including Zendikari goblins would be to allow them as a subtype of goblins, much like we have Hill and Mountain dwarves. That could be a (relatively) easy way to work in some planar variation.

Agreed. That was what I was thinking.

MAL1CE
2016-01-31, 12:14 PM
Here are some thoughts on modified classes. Any feedback is welcome.

Artificer - Has no combat casting ability beyond cantrip level, and always uses blue as primary color. An artificer casts spells into objects, much like an arcane focus. The spell is then stored in the object for later use. Artificers are typically good at creating complex enchanted items, magic potions and poisons, and sub-sentient beings, such as golems and magic armor.

Barbarian - Original 5e Barbarian

Rogue - Original 5e Rogue,

Fighter - Original 5e Fighter,

Monk - Original 5e Monk

Guildmage - Has 2 Primary colors, and may learn both from the start. They may not learn any more colors. Guildmages work similarly to a sorcerer.

Acolyte - Is tied to a greater diety, such as Avacyn or one of the gods of Theros. They automatically specialize in all colors of that diety. Probably would work much like a cleric.

Cleric - Original 5e cleric, but limited to black or white primary color.

Druid - A green aligned support class specializing in enchantments and buff spells.

Spellshaper - May only learn spells in their color, but have no limitations on which spells they may learn. Very powerful but very limited. They can cast spells in any way that that spell may be cast

Wizard - Original 5e wizard, picks a primary color, and may later learn 2 other colors. Less powerful than a spellshaper or guildmage, but more versitile.

Amechra
2016-01-31, 01:03 PM
I am disappoint, son.

I am disappoint.

You don't have the best races.

No Vedalken? Moonfolk? Viashino?

I am disappoint.

:smallwink:

Belac93
2016-01-31, 01:20 PM
Glad to see this. I've got some stuff I could try to dig up for this.

A note on races. A lot of them are really overpowered. Nyxborn are much better than regular humans.

Also, why do many of the races have penalties to scores, and also 2 bonuses of +2? 5e doesn't really do that anymore, with the mountain dwarf as an exception. And the flamekin is really just a much better fire dragonborn. Their cone spread is bigger, they have better resistance, and replace a +1 bonus to a common dump stat with a +2 bonus to possibly the best ability score in the game

Really great, but the races are poorly thought out.

Like the classes, but haven't given them a huge read-though for balance yet.

This isn't quite finished yet, as I ran out of ideas for subraces. It is the stats for boggarts in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.
Boggart Traits
Ability Score Increase. *Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. A Boggarts’s life is short and brutal, most do not live more than 5 years.* A Boggarts reaches adulthood at the age of 1.* A Boggarts is elderly around 40 years and they rarely live past 20 years old. The oldest ever was 57.
Alignment. *Boggarts tend towards chaotic, but the rare lawful goblins are dangers to be reckoned with.
Size.* Boggarts average roughly 3 feet tall and weigh about 30-40 pounds.* Your size is small.
Speed. *Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision.* Boggarts dwell in darkness often and have grown accustomed to little or no light.* You can see in dim light within 60 feet as if you were in bright light, and in darkness as if you were in dim light.* You can’t discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Nimble Escape.* Enemies have disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you that are triggered by you moving away.
Sneaky. You have proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
Languages. *You can speak Goblin and one other language of your choice.
Subraces. Choose one of the following subraces

Mudbuttons
Information. Known for their wild emotional outbursts and often fatal parties
Ability Score Increase. *Your Charisma score increases by 1.

Stinkdrinkers
Information. Infamous thieves
Ability Score Increase. *Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Thief. *You have proficiency in the Dexterity (Sleight of hand) skill.

Squeaking Pies
Information. Adventuresome cooks
Ability Score Increase. *Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Cooker. *You have proficiency with chefs tools

Frogtossers
Information. Considered insane even by other boggarts

Durazno
2016-01-31, 02:24 PM
Maybe they should have a "Goblin Blood" trait, as well. You know, like how Half-Elves can count as elves for the purposes of magic items and such.

MAL1CE
2016-01-31, 03:37 PM
I am disappoint, son.

I am disappoint.

You don't have the best races.

No Vedalken? Moonfolk? Viashino?

I am disappoint.

:smallwink:

Then make them a template and I'll include them. This is really a lot of work, so I cant do all of it myself.

MAL1CE
2016-01-31, 03:38 PM
Glad to see this. I've got some stuff I could try to dig up for this.

A note on races. A lot of them are really overpowered. Nyxborn are much better than regular humans.

Also, why do many of the races have penalties to scores, and also 2 bonuses of +2? 5e doesn't really do that anymore, with the mountain dwarf as an exception. And the flamekin is really just a much better fire dragonborn. Their cone spread is bigger, they have better resistance, and replace a +1 bonus to a common dump stat with a +2 bonus to possibly the best ability score in the game

Like the classes, but haven't given them a huge read-though for balance yet.

This isn't quite finished yet, as I ran out of ideas for subraces. It is the stats for boggarts in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.
Boggart Traits
Ability Score Increase. *Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. A Boggarts’s life is short and brutal, most do not live more than 5 years.* A Boggarts reaches adulthood at the age of 1.* A Boggarts is elderly around 40 years and they rarely live past 20 years old. The oldest ever was 57.
Alignment. *Boggarts tend towards chaotic, but the rare lawful goblins are dangers to be reckoned with.
Size.* Boggarts average roughly 3 feet tall and weigh about 30-40 pounds.* Your size is small.
Speed. *Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision.* Boggarts dwell in darkness often and have grown accustomed to little or no light.* You can see in dim light within 60 feet as if you were in bright light, and in darkness as if you were in dim light.* You can’t discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Nimble Escape.* Enemies have disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you that are triggered by you moving away.
Sneaky. You have proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
Languages. *You can speak Goblin and one other language of your choice.
Subraces. Choose one of the following subraces

Mudbuttons
Information. Known for their wild emotional outbursts and often fatal parties
Ability Score Increase. *Your Charisma score increases by 1.

Stinkdrinkers
Information. Infamous thieves
Ability Score Increase. *Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Thief. *You have proficiency in the Dexterity (Sleight of hand) skill.

Squeaking Pies
Information. Adventuresome cooks
Cooker. *You have proficiency with chefs tools

Frogtossers
Information. Considered insane even by other boggarts

I'll tke a look at these in a bit. I appreciate the feedback, I'm very new to 5e. So apologies if things are still a little bumpy, I'm learning as I go.

MAL1CE
2016-01-31, 06:03 PM

I went through and did some edits based on your suggestions. Let me know what you think and if theres anything in particular that strikes you as off.

Belac93
2016-01-31, 07:35 PM
I really like the idea of MTG in magic. I ran ravnica one once, with the characters as a body modifier (homebrewed pathfinder aquanaut), a half-orc grull barbarian, and an Izzet sorcerer.

MAL1CE
2016-02-01, 01:31 PM
Here's my work so far- all spells up to level 2. WIP, obviously.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJYH77Rl2Ej5gXGvIk2qp0UHjVwqgLMzxDsflboVG Oc

I updated the cantrips on the site, with a lot of input from this, and I like the way it turned out. If you have time, I wouldn't mind your help with the rest of them. If not, thats ok. I have a good base to go off of. Thanks again.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-01, 09:42 PM
Yeah I can keep going- I'm just at work during the day, so it's a project for the evenings.

I wouldn't limit spell lists beyond color. The colors are already pretty specialized, so subdividing just makes mages too weak since they're a one-trick pony. I like the idea of giving spellshapers metamagic- like sorcerers, they have more limited spell selection but can do more with those spells.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-01, 10:17 PM
3rd level up. W/U pick up a lot of spells, and U especially gets some slick ones. B is pretty limited, but much of what they do get is strong- Animate Dead, Fear, Spirit Guardians, and Vampiric Touch. R gets the iconic big blasty spells, G picks up a lot of conjuring.

MAL1CE
2016-02-01, 10:27 PM
I like the Idea of Metamagic. To expand on the Idea a little more...

Spell shapers: Arcane Focus, One color specialization, Metamagic options, and Like a sorcerer, they don't have to prepare spells. Very Powerful but not versatile.

Guild Mages: Dual Color Speciality, Prepare spells in advance, Metamagic option.

Wizards: Standard 5e Wizards (spell list replaced by color) that start with one color specialty, and then gain another at levels 4 and 9. They must prepare spells, no metamagic. Much more versatile, but less powerful.

Acolyte: Essentially a modified cleric, may learn spells in the color of their deity. Absolutely Devoted to that Deity's cause.

Artificer: Always Blue or Colorless, May learn any color of spell, but has a very limited spell selection. They are a combat class that specializes is storing spells in items, armor and weapons for later use.

If you have any thoughts on this, let me know. All input is welcome.

dokugin
2016-02-02, 04:12 AM
I like the Idea of Metamagic. To expand on the Idea a little more...

Spell shapers: Arcane Focus, One color specialization, Metamagic options, and Like a sorcerer, they don't have to prepare spells. Very Powerful but not versatile.

Guild Mages: Dual Color Speciality, Prepare spells in advance, Metamagic option.

Wizards: Standard 5e Wizards (spell list replaced by color) that start with one color specialty, and then gain another at levels 4 and 9. They must prepare spells, no metamagic. Much more versatile, but less powerful.

Acolyte: Essentially a modified cleric, may learn spells in the color of their deity. Absolutely Devoted to that Deity's cause.

Artificer: Always Blue or Colorless, May learn any color of spell, but has a very limited spell selection. They are a combat class that specializes is storing spells in items, armor and weapons for later use.

If you have any thoughts on this, let me know. All input is welcome.

I was thinking about this and you don't necessarily have to make all new classes for spellshapers, guildmages, acolytes, and artificers. You could make each an archetype for a class and then just allow for color specialization through that.This way you don't have to create a whole new class and a bunch of new archetypes.

Spellshaper, Sorcerer archetype, then just have it be that the first feature is when they choose their color specialization, and the features after that rely on that choice.

Guild Mages, sorcer/wizard multiclass, or another sorcerer archetype, or maybe even warlock. Rakdos Warlock anyone?

Wizards, standard but like sorcerer just make the chassis stipulate in the archetype features when they choose new color dips, ie. blue later dip into red, and then into white(this was based on what I saw on your site about planes walkers, where their second and third color pics don't get as much a bonus as the first)

Acolyte, Cleric, same as spellshapers, I feel like you get the idea.

As for artificer there is a great base class already on giantip, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367999-5e-Homebrew-The-Artificer-(of-Alancia))(Potato is actually playing this class in one of the games we are in now), same as with the others, just tinker with your own archetype to better fit the feel of mtg. Also I think that they shouldn't be limited to just blue, because there are examples of artificers in every color (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+%5Bartificer%5D%7C%7Ctype=+%5Ba rtificer%5D%7C%7Csubtype=+%5Bartificer%5D%7C%7Ctex t=+%5Bartificer%5D) It might even be better to say that artificers could be the true colorless option for magic users since they create colorless artifacts that then produce colored spell effects. In this way you could set them up with a limited spell list that contains a little from all colors and that their specialty is in their versatility. And this way you can finish out the format of having a magic class for each number of color combos in decks(EX. Spellshapers=Mono, Guildmage=Dual color deck, Wizard=3 color comanders, Artificer=5 color/colorless)

All in the name of doing less work.

MAL1CE
2016-02-02, 08:49 AM
I like where this is going, Doku. I am very fond of the colorless artificer Idea. Take a look at the Artificer class on the site. I sent a message to DiBastet asking permission to use his class, but his costs a dollar to download. I don't think he'd be fond of the idea of me posting it on my website for others to use free.

As for the archetype Idea, I like it. I'll see what I can do with it.

MAL1CE
2016-02-02, 09:16 AM
Warlock Guildmages sounds fun. I think I'll try that first

MAL1CE
2016-02-02, 10:16 AM
Here is an example of the Azorius Lawmage

http://mtgdnd.jimdo.com/classes/guildmage/azorius/

Believing their legislation to be the singular force that prevents Ravnica from descending into chaos, the Azorius Senate mediates and regulates the activities of all of the other guilds and of the plane despite numerous of their decrees being ignored. The Azorius Senate are characterized as being aloof, bureaucratic, excessively formalistic, and fastidious, spending hours upon hours with legal documents and ensuring action, if any should occur, stringently adheres to protocol. For such reasons, the Azorius are deeply disdained by Ravnicans, whom the Azorius believe will effect a change and subsequent crime, chaos, and general decline in civic life. The Azorius are said to act through inaction.

The Azorius Senate works alongside the Boros Legion and Selesnya Conclave to see to the enforcement of the law and theOrzhov Syndicate, to the provision of advocates and lawmages for accusers/claimants/complainants/plaintiffs and defendants. Ultimately, however, the Azorius advocates for blind justice, peace, and the status quo, doing so via their intrinsic involvement in all affairs on Ravnica and with their legions of knights and paladins as well as mages adept in countermagic, magic to disable and hinder those who would break the law, and other law magic.

FEATURES
As an Azorius Guildmage, your patron is Isperia, the Supreme Gudge. This majestic sphinx stands for law and order. You're primary purpose is upholding those laws at all costs. You do not stand for injustice or lawbreaking of any kind. Your spell list includes all spells in Blue and White.

RESILIANCE OF THE MIND
Beginning at 1st level, you become resistant to mind influencing magic. you have advantage on any roll to resist or end spells or effects that would force you to make an action against your nature.

GIFT OF FLIGHT
Beginning at 6th level you gain the ability to grant other creatures flight. You may cast the fly spell once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

THOUGHT SHIELD

Starting at 10th level, your thoughts can’t be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You also have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature deals psychic damage to you, that creature takes the same amount of damage that you do.

DETAIN
Beginning at 14th level, you gain the ability to suspend other creatures in a magical stasis field. You may use your action to cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-03, 11:06 PM
4th level spells up. Beginning to be concerned that U is more powerful and versatile than the other colors. That's a common complaint about MtG, though, so I don't know that it's a problem on the spell conversion end.

Durazno
2016-02-03, 11:58 PM
Do you think modifying the color pie for the purposes of this project might help?

On the other hand, blue having better spells would result in there being more blue wizards, which I guess would make sense.

MAL1CE
2016-02-04, 12:43 AM
4th level spells up. Beginning to be concerned that U is more powerful and versatile than the other colors. That's a common complaint about MtG, though, so I don't know that it's a problem on the spell conversion end.

I also noticed this. Not quite sure how to handle it, but I may respond by altering some spells slightly to put them in other colors. Green also begins getting a lot of spells, but not necessarily as OP as blue.

Do you think modifying the color pie for the purposes of this project might help?

On the other hand, blue having better spells would result in there being more blue wizards, which I guess would make sense.

That is a possibility, but I'd like to stay as true to the original color pie as possible. One solution I thought up was to Identify some of the more powerful blue spells that set it apart as being more powerful, and creating counterparts for other colors. Not that they would necessarily have similar effects or purposes, but just to make the other colors as appealing for different reasons.

Jakabib
2016-02-04, 10:46 AM
While not the most flavorful solution, you could just take some of blue's more problematic spells and make them count as colorless. That way blue mages still can do blue mage things, but the other colors have access to them as well. It wouldn't take away any power from the Blue, while it could add some appeal to the others.

another possibility is you can embrace the hybrid mana idea. There are certain spells that one could easilly argue could be in multiple colors. So instead of making it so a character must have access to both colors to use such a multicolored spell, you could make it an either or scenario. For instance, I'd say that Hideous laughter could be Blue and Black while Poison spray could be Black and Green.

All that said, Blue is the color that most dominantly focuses on the study and use of magic itself, it would make sense that there are more blue users.

*EDIT*

Also with the hybrid idea, Enlarge/Reduce could be broken in half. Enlarge being Green/Red and Reduce being Black/Blue

MAL1CE
2016-02-04, 10:47 AM
I powered through and finished sorting spells. Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://mtgdnd.jimdo.com/spell-colors/

Also, still looking for feedback on the class stuff. I feel like they're severely unbalanced at the moment, and there's really very little to draw a person away from using a class just because it has more color options.

MAL1CE
2016-02-04, 11:01 AM
another possibility is you can embrace the hybrid mana idea. There are certain spells that one could easilly argue could be in multiple colors. So instead of making it so a character must have access to both colors to use such a multicolored spell, you could make it an either or scenario. For instance, I'd say that Hideous laughter could be Blue and Black while Poison spray could be Black and Green.

Also with the hybrid idea, Enlarge/Reduce could be broken in half. Enlarge being Green/Red and Reduce being Black/Blue

As it so happens, this is already in place :P Poison spray is Black/Green, Stoneskin is R/W/G, and so on. There are quite a few of these if you look through. These spells don't require someone to be all of those colors; as long as they have one color it falls under, they have access to the spell.

Breaking spells in half could be an interesting idea, I'll consider that.

dokugin
2016-02-04, 06:22 PM
I powered through and finished sorting spells. Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://mtgdnd.jimdo.com/spell-colors/

Also, still looking for feedback on the class stuff. I feel like they're severely unbalanced at the moment, and there's really very little to draw a person away from using a class just because it has more color options.

I think the best way to get feedback on your classes would be to post them up in new threads here on giantip and maybe even on reddits r/unearthedarcana. That way people don't have to dig through this thread or the website for classes.
Then just link over to this thread and say the project continues on here. Get more eyes on the classes and maybe even more discussion here, WIN WIN!

MAL1CE
2016-02-04, 11:46 PM
I think the best way to get feedback on your classes would be to post them up in new threads here on giantip and maybe even on reddits r/unearthedarcana. That way people don't have to dig through this thread or the website for classes.
Then just link over to this thread and say the project continues on here. Get more eyes on the classes and maybe even more discussion here, WIN WIN!

Fair point. Thanks Friend.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-06, 09:24 PM
Just had a thought for (slightly) balancing colors: remove all of blue's cold-based damage spells (other than cantrips). Blue doesn't get direct damage in MtG.

Polymorph-type effects do need to be blue though. All clone-type effects are in blue. Could be U/G for things like Beast Within, but they are a pretty core blue effect.

dokugin
2016-02-07, 04:40 AM
Bored so I threw up a bunch of threads to hopefully get the discussion started on making the spell caster archetypes.
Spellshaper
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477624-MTG-D-amp-D-Spellshaper-sorcerers-archetype)Guildmage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477626-MTG-D-amp-D-Guildmage-warlock-archetype)
Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477628-MTG-D-amp-D-Wizard-wizard-archetype)
Cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477629-MTG-D-amp-D-Cleric-Cleric-archtype)

Check em out make suggestions, further the project... I am bad at archetypes.

Also I want to suggest that on the website the spell list matches the color order on the color wheal, ie. White Blue Black Red Green so as a wizard you can easy see what three columns you can choose from.

MAL1CE
2016-02-07, 05:19 PM
Oh boy. That may be an issue. Its a free site, and not set up to easily move around. I'd have to basically redo the whole grid... And that took me six hours or so collectively to finish filling out.

Edit: BTW, I just want to say, I appreciate how much effort everyone has put into this. It really inspires me to keep working.

dokugin
2016-02-09, 12:09 AM
Not a big deal was only a thought, also I'm pretty excited about this project as it involves the only actually social thing I do, MTG and DnD!

MAL1CE
2016-02-09, 12:47 AM
Haha, I hear ya. I'm just a really passionate MTG player, and I wanted a way to explore the worlds of MTG in a more direct and imaginative way than the wiki.

Also, I added a special thanks mention to you (Dokugin) and Potatogolem on the page. The two of you have been really involved in making this happen.

dokugin
2016-02-09, 01:26 AM
In the spellshaper thread I am just going to edit it to be your baseclass so that it is the first thing people see.